User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2wX so/sx

Default Interfaith Marriage and Children

My boyfriend (muslim) and I (christian) were talking about this subject today.

I was just interested to see if anyone had any comments/suggestions about this topic and how to overcome the complications that could arise.

Are any of you from interfaith households?

If married to someone from another faith, do you each practice your own faiths? Have you talked about what you will do with your children? How is it working out?

If you grew up in an interfaith household, what did your parents do? Do you think they should have used a different method?

Just trying to gain some information

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My dad was an Agnostic and my mom is New Age, and they basically told me that I should find what works for me belief wise. I don't think you should force a religion on your kid anyway, so I'd just approach it straight up and tell them what you do and for them to find out on their own what works for them.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Riva

This is the 21st century. Sadly people still hold on to their religious views to differentiate themselves.

But God is yet to come. He is yet to show is face. He is yet to prove that he exists and answer for all the sins he committed by having some of his dear children go through. Fuck God and fuck Allah too!

I hope my post would help you. Atleast the initial part of it.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    This is the 21st century. Sadly people still hold on to their religious views to differentiate themselves.
    But God is yet to come. He is yet to show is face. He is yet to prove that he exists and answer for all the shit he had some of his dear children had to go through. Fuck God and fuck Allah too!
    I hope my post would help you. Atleast the initial parts of it.
    I don't see how your post could help anyone
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I don't see how your post could help anyone
    What I was trying to say was that this is the 21st century. Your different views shouldn't be an issue for you to live happily together.

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    What I was trying to say was that this is the 21st century. Your different views shouldn't be an issue for you to live happily together.
    The fact that it's the 21st century is irrelevant. If people have seemingly vastly different views yet don't have an issue living happily together then they obviously really have the same views.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2wX so/sx

This issue isn't living happy together. I know that is going to be easy

This is just general information gathering/ research to see if any of you guys grew up this way and what you think of it? I know that there are three ways to approach kids in this kind of marriage... adopt no faith, one faith, or both faiths combined... I was just interested in opinions

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I have some second cousins whose parents are an interfaith couple, Jewish-Christian. They're both keeping they're separate faiths but I think they're raising the kids Jewish. I don't see them often but as far as I know everyone seems pretty cool with it.

I'm more spiritual than my boyfriend, so he just kind of lets me do my own thing. I'm trying to convince him that the scientific energy he trusts to exist is the same thing I understand to be the quasi-divine life force, but he doesn't seem to be buying it.

He and I are both very interested in other cultures, though, and I think if we had kids together we'd have no problem introducing them to a range of faiths, particularly in a cultural-learning sense, and letting them develop their own views. Personally I am more concerned about fostering shared values and positive action than specific beliefs.

WALMART

I wonder if some day you two will recognize your emotions to appeal toward a higher being lie in the same web.

Teach your kids that mommy and daddy were raised under different mutations of belief. Then teach them spirituality is not mutually exclusive to any one faith. Then let them do what they want. Or whatever.

Both my parents are christian. My pops has always made very skeptical statements, though. He also doesnt like church.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    If people have seemingly vastly different views yet don't have an issue living happily together then they obviously really have the same views.
    This.

I remember years ago talking to this Dutch woman who told me how tolerant people in the Netherlands are, how people of different faiths just co-exist. When I met her friends who were following different religions I realised that they might give themselves different faith labels because of their upbringing etc but that in the end they were very similar, they called themselves Christian or Muslim or Buddhist but really all of them were liberal, educated, agnostic, their faith seemed more like a cultural label than anything else.

I think it depends a lot on the depth of your convictions how well interfaith marriage works out (and maybe also on your specific religion, on how exclusive its truth claim is, I used to live with a landlady who was Sikh and her late husband was Hindu and that obviously worked)

Realistically speaking I would only want to get married to a practising Christian, I remember a Muslim showing serious interest in me and when I thought about it I realised that I would only want to get married in a church and have the blessing of the Christian God over this union, there is just no way I would practise Muslim beliefs (and I would totally understand why a Muslim wouldn't want to marry me because of my faith, if I have no intention of converting to his). I am the only believer in a family of atheists and it is hard enough not being able to talk to them about my faith and how I come to certain decisions, because some of my ways of thinking are just so alien to their worldview. Having a husband that doesn't share the same worldview would be even harder, it could become a shallow relationship because I would feel like I have to lock a big part of myself away since some things just can't be reasoned out, you either believe them or not and if you have completely different worldviews you are just inevitably going to clash.