• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Should religious institutions continue to remain tax-exempt in the U.S.?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Research Report: How Secular Humanists (and Everyone Else) Subsidize Religion in the United States

cragun-mansion.jpg

The home in the photo (above) is the $1.75 million mansion of the Reverend Randy White, the former head pastor of Without Walls International Church in Tampa, Florida. While some people may be bothered by the fact that there are pastors who live in multimillion dollar homes, this is old news to most. But here is what should bother you about these expensive homes: You are helping to pay for them! You pay for them indirectly, the same way local, state, and federal governments in the United States subsidize religion—to the tune of about $71 billion every year.

We mention Rev. White because he was the impetus for this article. White and his mansion came up in a class taught by lead author Ryan T. Cragun. In that discussion, the other authors asked how much Pastor White pays in taxes on his income. The answer wasn’t readily available. Only a handful of publications in the sociology of religion have examined the finances of religions, and they are largely aimed at telling religions how to increase donations.1 Nowhere did we find prior research summarizing and detailing religious finances and tax policy, so we decided to investigate it ourselves. This article is the result. It took some digging, but we think we now have a moderately clear understanding of the tax laws regarding religions in the United States. What we found suggests that religious institutions, if they were required to pay taxes the same as for-profit corporations do, would not have nearly as much money or influence as they enjoy in America today. In this article we estimate how much local, state, and federal governments subsidize religions.

However, before we get into our calculations, we think it best to address a criticism that is likely to be raised about this article. By suggesting that these groups should pay taxes, we are likely to be criticized by those who think that religions are largely charitable institutions engaged in beneficial service or charitable work and should therefore be exempt from taxes. This criticism requires responses at two levels, because there are two ways to think about religious “charity.” The first type of charity is the type that most people think of when they hear the phrase “serving people’s physical needs” (feeding and clothing the poor, building schools, and the like). The second type is different and involves addressing people’s “spiritual concerns.”

Do religions engage in charitable work that addresses the physical needs of the poor? Many do, but that is not their primary focus. Religions are quick to trumpet when they do charitable work—ironically for Christians, since the Bible explicitly says not to (Mathew 6:2). But they don’t do as much charitable work as a lot of people think, and they spend a relatively small percentage of their overall revenue on such work. For instance, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the LDS or Mormon Church), which regularly trumpets its charitable donations, gave about $1 billion to charitable causes between 1985 and 2008. That may seem like a lot until you divide it by the twenty-three-year time span and realize this church is donating only about 0.7 percent of its annual income.2 Other religions are more charitable. For instance, the United Methodist Church allocated about 29 percent of its revenues to charitable causes in 2010 (about $62 million of $214 million received).3 One calculation of the resources expended by 271 U.S. congregations found that, on average, “operating expenses” totaled 71 percent of all the expenditures of religions, much of that going to pay ministers’ salaries.4 Financial contributions addressing the physical needs of the poor fall within the remaining 29 percent of expenditures. While these numbers may be higher as a percentage of income than typical charitable giving by corporations, they are not hugely higher (depending on the religion) and are substantially lower in absolute terms. Wal-Mart, for instance, gives about $1.75 billion in food aid to charities each year, or twenty-eight times all of the money allotted for charity by the United Methodist Church and almost double what the LDS Church has given in the last twenty-five years.5

We recognize that there is a lot of variation in how much religions engage in charitable work, and we don’t want to discourage religions from doing so. However, comparing their charitable giving to the performance of secular charities is informative. The American Red Cross spends 92.1 percent of its revenue directly addressing the physical needs of those it intends to help; only 7.9 percent is spent on “operating expenses.”6 If you use a generous 50 percent cutoff for indicating whether an institution is primarily a charitable organization or not (that is, they spend more than 50 percent of revenue on charitable work addressing physical needs), we doubt there is a single religion in the world that would actually qualify as a charitable organization.

But what about the spiritual concerns that religions address? Isn’t this activity a form of “spiritual charity”? And since most of the expenditures of religions are spent on addressing spiritual concerns (activities including worship services, pastoral counseling, baptisms, sacraments, and the like), couldn’t these expenses be seen as charitable, thus qualifying the religions as charities?

No. Why? Because charity is the giving of something, not the exchange of something for something else. When religions give (money, clothing, labor, building materials) to address the physical needs of the poor, they are giving without receiving payment in return. There is no exchange of goods or services. Yes, those giving may feel good about what they’ve done, but that feeling is not given to them by the recipients of their charitable actions in exchange for the actions; it rather results from the charitable actions themselves. In contrast, when a pastor preaches a sermon or a priest performs a baptism, this is done out of obligation and is what these religious functionaries are paid to do. It is no more “charity” than a college professor teaching a class or a social worker helping a family is charity. If the people you are helping are paying you to help them, it’s not charity; it’s labor. You may like your job and feel that it offers value beyond what you receive in compensation, but that doesn’t change the fundamental nature of the exchange taking place. In short, if someone is paid to address spiritual concerns, it is not charity when they do so.

There is one other argument religions could use to claim they are “spiritual charities”: when religions pray for rain for the local community or when they baptize the dead to assure them salvation—as is done by the Mormon Church—isn’t this a form of spiritual charity in the sense that even people not donating to the religion benefit? These acts certainly seem closer to charity, but they don’t meet the criteria of what it means to be a charitable organization for tax purposes: If the function or service the charity provides were discontinued, would it result in a legal requirement for public funds to continue the function? Religious soup kitchens would probably meet this criteria but would praying for rain or baptizing dead people? Although Texas Governor Rick Perry may pray for rain7 and presidential hopeful Mitt Romney may want past presidents baptized, we think most people would agree that government has no interest in addressing such “spiritual concerns.”

In summary, religions spend a relatively small portion of their revenue on physical charity, and while they spend a larger portion of their revenue addressing spiritual concerns, most of that qualifies as labor, not charity. What little would qualify as “spiritual charity” would not be replaced by government if discontinued. In short, religions are, by and large, not engaged in charitable work.

The article is very long, so I'm only quoting a segment of it. I saw another similar headline recently, which I haven't gotten to read yet:

The Yearly Cost of Religious Tax Exemptions: $71,000,000,000

So folks... yay or nay, and why?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am unsure. Perhaps not, the charitable ones could file for exemption as a charitable organization rather than as a religious institution. Churches should be allowed to retain that status if they open up their property for non-religious charitable use like setting aside a portion for homeless housing, aa meetings (or other beneficial non-profit organizations).

W

WALMART

Yes. Anyone with the potential to do good at the profit of few is okay by my book.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If I want to give to a church/religious organization/"spiritual charity" I will but I have to pay my taxes. So should they.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Are they non-profit? Then yes, they should be tax-exempt.

Edit: By the way, the Council for Secular Humanism is tax exempt! lol

Beorn

Permabanned
Research Report: How Secular Humanists (and Everyone Else) Subsidize Religion in the United States

cragun-mansion.jpg

The article is very long, so I'm only quoting a segment of it. I saw another similar headline recently, which I haven't gotten to read yet:

The Yearly Cost of Religious Tax Exemptions: $71,000,000,000

So folks... yay or nay, and why?

Ugh... I hate how people misuse accounting terms to suit their agenda.

Did YOU know that it COSTS the government 10 MILLION human fingers every year to let 1 million american infants keep their fingers and have the ability to grab and hold things?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ugh... I hate how people misuse accounting terms to suit their agenda.

Did YOU know that it COSTS the government 10 MILLION human fingers every year to let 1 million american infants keep their fingers and have the ability to grab and hold things?

But what say you on the tax exemption status of religious institutions?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It sounds like a good idea at first, but I foresee some pretty shady loopholes. No, not a good idea.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yes. not particularly because I favor them, simply because more institutions should be tax exempt or at least pay lower taxes

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It sounds like a good idea at first, but I foresee some pretty shady loopholes. No, not a good idea.

Don't you think that happens now? "Charitable organizations" geared towarding influencing public opinion and elections rather than serving the needs of the community?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Don't you think that happens now? "Charitable organizations" geared towarding influencing public opinion and elections rather than serving the needs of the community?

Yeah, why would we want more of that?

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
Once again, guys, Churches are non-profit organizations....how one feels about the societal worth of their 'spiritual charity' is irrelevent, and you can't remove tax-exempt status for churches without removing tax-exempt status for all other non-profit organizations (including the apparently hypocritical Society for Secular Humanism).

Besides, handicapping non-profit organizations (advocacy-oriented or otherwise) in such a manner would only increase and further entrench the power of government and corporations in society.

Lark

Well secular humanists, if they had the support and commitment and could organise I am sure could get similar status and treatment to the religious institutions.

My problem with attacks on the tax status of institutions like this is that it is frequently standing in for or a prelude to attacking the institution itself, often when there is no alternative or eqivalent let alone anything better with anything like the same support, I dont just mean in terms of cash either.

The role the institution plays in a deep sociological or psychological sense are often misunderstood, minimised or ignored altogether. Its a little like someone trying to perform a wheel change on a moving bus or trying to pry the wheel off without any idea it will cause a crash.

Sometimes I think its just a mix of hatred and jealous or envy which motivates people who want to attack religious or traditional institutions like this. A lot of the time these organisations have been or are the back bone of a kind of social services or therapeutic interventions in their communities. Sometimes they function better than or in ways the statutory, secular services can not.

Lark

Once again, guys, Churches are non-profit organizations....how one feels about the societal worth of their 'spiritual charity' is irrelevent, and you can't remove tax-exempt status for churches without removing tax-exempt status for all other non-profit organizations (including the apparently hypocritical Society for Secular Humanism).

Besides, handicapping non-profit organizations (advocacy-oriented or otherwise) in such a manner would only increase and further entrench the power of government and corporations in society.

Or cause some sort of fundamentalist reaction, secular humanists pick on religious institutions in the western world for the same reason that muggers target grannies rather than hells angels but if they keep it up they will create a reaction which will benefit no one at all, religious or irreligious.