User Tag List

First 123 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    If I want to give to a church/religious organization/"spiritual charity" I will but I have to pay my taxes. So should they.
    ^

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

It sounds like a good idea at first, but I foresee some pretty shady loopholes. No, not a good idea.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

yes. not particularly because I favor them, simply because more institutions should be tax exempt or at least pay lower taxes
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    It sounds like a good idea at first, but I foresee some pretty shady loopholes. No, not a good idea.
    Don't you think that happens now? "Charitable organizations" geared towarding influencing public opinion and elections rather than serving the needs of the community?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Don't you think that happens now? "Charitable organizations" geared towarding influencing public opinion and elections rather than serving the needs of the community?
    Yeah, why would we want more of that?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    Yeah, why would we want more of that?
    Ah, I see.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Cut 'em loose. We have a budget to balance.

MBTI
    INTP

Once again, guys, Churches are non-profit organizations....how one feels about the societal worth of their 'spiritual charity' is irrelevent, and you can't remove tax-exempt status for churches without removing tax-exempt status for all other non-profit organizations (including the apparently hypocritical Society for Secular Humanism).

Besides, handicapping non-profit organizations (advocacy-oriented or otherwise) in such a manner would only increase and further entrench the power of government and corporations in society.

Well secular humanists, if they had the support and commitment and could organise I am sure could get similar status and treatment to the religious institutions.

My problem with attacks on the tax status of institutions like this is that it is frequently standing in for or a prelude to attacking the institution itself, often when there is no alternative or eqivalent let alone anything better with anything like the same support, I dont just mean in terms of cash either.

The role the institution plays in a deep sociological or psychological sense are often misunderstood, minimised or ignored altogether. Its a little like someone trying to perform a wheel change on a moving bus or trying to pry the wheel off without any idea it will cause a crash.

Sometimes I think its just a mix of hatred and jealous or envy which motivates people who want to attack religious or traditional institutions like this. A lot of the time these organisations have been or are the back bone of a kind of social services or therapeutic interventions in their communities. Sometimes they function better than or in ways the statutory, secular services can not.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Once again, guys, Churches are non-profit organizations....how one feels about the societal worth of their 'spiritual charity' is irrelevent, and you can't remove tax-exempt status for churches without removing tax-exempt status for all other non-profit organizations (including the apparently hypocritical Society for Secular Humanism).

Besides, handicapping non-profit organizations (advocacy-oriented or otherwise) in such a manner would only increase and further entrench the power of government and corporations in society.
    Or cause some sort of fundamentalist reaction, secular humanists pick on religious institutions in the western world for the same reason that muggers target grannies rather than hells angels but if they keep it up they will create a reaction which will benefit no one at all, religious or irreligious.