User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    Infj

Default Why believe in Christianity???

My friend and I were recently discussing God. He is a die hard believer and always talks of 'faith'. He will not listen to my ideas, but yet I will listen to him. I was thinking, how can I go to church and obey specific commands, rituals, teachings etc... When there is tons of religions out there who all have different commands, rituals, teachings etc... And each different religion believes that their religion is the unquestionable truth and everyone else's religion is false. Now obviously ( no logically) not all of the existing religions can be true at the same time. Does each believer think that their religion is correct, and that obeying will bring them peace? If one is right, then the others are wrong. Idolatry is prohibited in the Christian religion, but if you Christians really believe that, then you are saying that the other 4.9 billion people around the world who aren't Christians are worshipping false gods. Christianity only consumes about 33% of people. Why would Christianity be ''the truth"!!! Why wouldn't it be Islam, Buddhism, Taoism, or even Egyptian and Greek mythology.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

To answer one of your questions, not all religious faiths consider themselves exclusive.

More conservative Christian faiths do, and will present arguments as to why their interpretation of Jesus is the right one, why he wasn't crazy, why he was the Son of God, and thus if you do not accept their claims you (sadly) will one day go to hell unless you change your mind. [Read Josh McDowell for a basic evangelist approach to presenting the gospel.]

However, this is not the same among all faiths, some faith systems allow salvation for others outside their beliefs and consider theirs just one route to enlightenment.

I think I have had the same issue -- I'm more open and will listen to alternate views seriously, to see if they have merit, but I would become frustrated when the favor was not returned by someone who was claiming moral superiority to me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Not everyone is capable of objectively discussing religion with people that have different beliefs.

I myself wonder if to some extent it is because those people have been 'forcefed' their beliefs to them, not wanting to hear anything about other beliefs or opinions, because they would feel like they might start questioning their own faith, which is a blasphemy to them and their society.

Minor observation to support this notion:

Every theist I have met that has chosen their beliefs later in life themselves, or are reformed because they wanted to, are always people that seem open to objective discussion with anyone from any other belief. They don't need to question their own belief.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

What if they are all true simultaneously?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    What if they are all true simultaneously?
    You mean what if heaven is a place that is shaped in a way you have felt it to be like based on your beliefs in your life. So when a christian dies he goes to his version of heaven whereas if an atheist dies he goes to nothingness, etc, etc.. Then would it not be safe to assume we could not communicate anymore with each other in such an afterlife, apart from constructs of our own imagination? If so, what would be the point of heaven, if it's nothing more than one long eternal dream?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

That is not what I was implying.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Not everyone is capable of objectively discussing religion with people that have different beliefs.
    How does one objectively discuss religious faith? (Something which is, by definition, impossible to view objectively.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd Girl View Post
    How does one objectively discuss religious faith? (Something which is, by definition, impossible to view objectively.)
    I mean the discussion about it objectively. Explaining your belifs and stances and hearing someone elses without resorting to telling them what is wrong and right in general.

I sometimes enjoy talking to theists, how they came to their belief, what they find important about their beliefs, etc. But most times when it comes to me talking about my beliefs, it usually turns sour. Only few theists can seemingly bring up the understanding and respect to also hear me out without going apeshit on me. From experience, the once that can are usually the ones that have personally chosen their beliefs instead of being raised up in them.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I mean the discussion about it objectively. Explaining your belifs and stances and hearing someone elses without resorting to telling them what is wrong and right in general.

I sometimes enjoy talking to theists, how they came to their belief, what they find important about their beliefs, etc. But most times when it comes to me talking about my beliefs, it usually turns sour. Only few theists can seemingly bring up the understanding and respect to also hear me out without going apeshit on me. From experience, the once that can are usually the ones that have personally chosen their beliefs instead of being raised up in them.
    Isn't that the whole idea of faith? People can say that they believe, what drew them to that belief (if they were raised that way or came to their own conclusion on it), why they chose that flavor of faith. They won't/can't explain it because they don't have to. They can go apeshit on you because they feel they are exclusively right and you are clearly not seeing what they see. No shit! It's the ultimate cop out because it doesn't require any explanation/proof/evidence. It's faith.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

A window to the soul

I understand. This happens among Christians too. I was cornered by a couple of Calvinists at a meetup group last week. It turned sour when they scoffed and called me Arminian. I had no idea what a Calvinist or an Arminian was. When they told me, I realized they were scoffing at me because they thought I was going to hell. Terrible. I don't do that.