User Tag List

First 91718192021 Last

Results 181 to 190 of 229

  1. #181
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524
    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    The Christians would just say that they are all worshiping the Trinity, and just don't know it.

    Who's to say that they're wrong? Who's to say that they're right?
    And Pagans would say we are all worshipping Zeus and Poseidon but we just don't know it. And who's to say they're wrong? Who's to say they're right?

  2. #182
    Member CreativeCait's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    PING
    Posts
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    @CreativeCait

    Sorry, it's a sensitive subject for me and you don't deserve that. I hate the condescension of Christian thought. Oh, if only you could open your heart to God all your problems will be solved! (I know this is not what you're intending consciously.) The implication being that I am an immoral person or that I have yet to experience the light of day. As I said earlier in this thread I am not an atheist and I have very personal spiritual experiences.

    http://www.6seconds.org/2007/01/26/t...-feeling-good/

    I agree with her and have taught myself to trigger this experience and I wish I could explain it better. I'm curious if I had been raised atheist and learnt this how it would feel. Anyway, Christianity really fucked me up emotionally. It made me feel ashamed for loving science, math, and physics when that is a part of who I am. So, you'll forgive me if I don't give a damn about -religion- and hope it dies.
    Ok, no worries, I understand where you are coming from now. And yeah, for the record, that’s not what I think about myself being Christian and other people not being Christian. I have many friends of all kinds of spiritual/religious persuasions and I respect their beliefs and in no way do I think they are immoral. They are truly beautiful people.

    In fact, I am very interested in other Religion/Spirituality and what other people believe. Would you label your beliefs in any way? Or is it more your personal eclectic set of beliefs/values/experiences/spirituality?

    That article is really interesting. Especially the bit about our brain being hard-wired to be in ‘bliss’ , as a part of connecting to God and producing endorphins. Personally, I figured there is hard wiring in the body that leads us to want to connect with God, so this is quite interesting. I wonder how the peptides work on AIDS....???

    For me, Science and Christianity fit comfortably side-by-side. But I know that for lots of people, the interaction between Religion and Science has been a painful one and I am truly sorry about your experience. Especially for feeling ashamed about science, math and physics and the emotional trauma you have gone through. IMO not only are they great academic disciplines that are integral to our lives, I think they are an important way of connecting with the Divine.

  3. #183
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524

    Smile Freeing the Psyche

    Christianity is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. Christianity is imagined freedom and equality. Christianity is symbolic freedom.

    So how can we free ourselves in reality?

    We have already made great strides towards freedom in the West and developed countries.

    We have freed ourselves from scarcity with modern economics;
    we have freed ourselves from disease with modern medicine;
    we have freed ourselves from tyranny with liberal democracy;
    we have freed ourselves from superstition with modern science;
    we freed ourselves from institutional slavery in 1833;
    we freed women from subjugation with their emancipatation in the beginning of the 20th century;
    and we freed children from sexual abuse in the last decade of the 20th century;
    and we are freeing ourselves from war as the incidence of war is declining (click on - http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...818_war30.html)

    All that is necessary now, at least in the West and developed countries, is to free our psyche.

  4. #184
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CreativeCait View Post
    Ok, no worries, I understand where you are coming from now. And yeah, for the record, that’s not what I think about myself being Christian and other people not being Christian. I have many friends of all kinds of spiritual/religious persuasions and I respect their beliefs and in no way do I think they are immoral. They are truly beautiful people.

    In fact, I am very interested in other Religion/Spirituality and what other people believe. Would you label your beliefs in any way? Or is it more your personal eclectic set of beliefs/values/experiences/spirituality?

    That article is really interesting. Especially the bit about our brain being hard-wired to be in ‘bliss’ , as a part of connecting to God and producing endorphins. Personally, I figured there is hard wiring in the body that leads us to want to connect with God, so this is quite interesting. I wonder how the peptides work on AIDS....???

    For me, Science and Christianity fit comfortably side-by-side. But I know that for lots of people, the interaction between Religion and Science has been a painful one and I am truly sorry about your experience. Especially for feeling ashamed about science, math and physics and the emotional trauma you have gone through. IMO not only are they great academic disciplines that are integral to our lives, I think they are an important way of connecting with the Divine.
    Ty. I don't mean to be hostile. Just don't want ppl to waste their lives like I did
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  5. #185
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    So God is so multifaceted as to embrace Zeus and Poseidon. And God is so multifaceted as to embrace child sacrifice, animal sacrifice, the sacrifice of His Son, and even the sacrifice of the psyche, not to mention the sacrifice of common sense and common decency.
    The human interpretations of God include Zeus and Posideon, and the human responses to their beliefs have included the types of sacrifice you list, as well as the Inquisition. This says more about people than about God. We often see in God what we want to see, and use that view to justify giving in to our baser instincts.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  6. #186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And Pagans would say we are all worshipping Zeus and Poseidon but we just don't know it. And who's to say they're wrong? Who's to say they're right?
    Whether or not the pagan patheon exists or shares the existence of others, I dont believe so but could be proven wrong, they are less perfect that either Yaweh or Jesus so if someone wants to follow imperfection then I guess that's their choice but I'll exercise my own and follow Yah and JC.

  7. #187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Christianity is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. Christianity is imagined freedom and equality. Christianity is symbolic freedom.

    So how can we free ourselves in reality?

    We have already made great strides towards freedom in the West and developed countries.

    We have freed ourselves from scarcity with modern economics;
    we have freed ourselves from disease with modern medicine;
    we have freed ourselves from tyranny with liberal democracy;
    we have freed ourselves from superstition with modern science;
    we freed ourselves from institutional slavery in 1833;
    we freed women from subjugation with their emancipatation in the beginning of the 20th century;
    and we freed children from sexual abuse in the last decade of the 20th century;
    and we are freeing ourselves from war as the incidence of war is declining (click on - http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...818_war30.html)

    All that is necessary now, at least in the West and developed countries, is to free our psyche.
    When did you become a Marxist Victor?

  8. #188
    F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Because it teaches love with stories of people getting cast out because Our Heavenly Father, My Lord damned them or tested their faith.

  9. #189
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524
    We should support Christianity because it has been tamed by the Enlightenment. So that now Christianity accepts the separation of Church and State, the value of evidence and reason, and liberal democracy.

    By contrast Islam has not been tamed by the Enlightenment. And so Islam does not accept the separation of Mosque and State and has a holy duty to impose Sharia on the world. And Islam does not accept the value of evidence and reason and rejects science in favour of the Koran. And rather than acepting liberal democracy, the holy book of Islam teaches violent jihad and martrydom.

  10. #190
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    When did you become a Marxist Victor?
    Just as the Devil can quote the Scriptures in his own interest, so I quote Karl Marx.

Similar Threads

  1. Why Do People Believe in Ghosts?
    By Tellenbach in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-19-2014, 09:16 AM
  2. Why I do not believe in God
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 248
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
  3. Why I no longer believe in MBTI
    By murkrow in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 11:24 AM
  4. Prophecy In Christianity: Related to Ni?
    By Usehername in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-18-2007, 06:32 AM
  5. Do you believe in a higher power?
    By ygolo in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 08:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO