User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Which, incidentally, was also the Hebrew God. Weird stuff, this religion.
    The Judaic God and the Christian God are quite distinct.

The Judaic God is monotheistic and unnamable, while the Christian God is the Trinity consisting of the God the Father, God the Son called Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

The Judaic God is monotheistic and unnamable, while the Christian God is the Trinity consisting of the God the Father, God the Son called Jesus, and God the Holy Spirit.
    Depends on how you look at the thing.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

@CreativeCait

Sorry, it's a sensitive subject for me and you don't deserve that. I hate the condescension of Christian thought. Oh, if only you could open your heart to God all your problems will be solved! (I know this is not what you're intending consciously.) The implication being that I am an immoral person or that I have yet to experience the light of day. As I said earlier in this thread I am not an atheist and I have very personal spiritual experiences.

Several years ago I was googling for correlations between phys, biochemistry, and affective states because I understood the process of emotion, but not why the affective states formed the way they did. I came across this article in the process:

http://www.6seconds.org/2007/01/26/t...-feeling-good/

It's an interview with Candace Pert who is a neuroscientist and pharmacologist. She discovered peptide T and other things. Anyhow, she wrote a book called Molecules of Emotion, was in What The Bleep Do We Know, and a book called Everything You Need To Know To Feel Go(o)d. In the last she argues that positive mood brought about by a sense of existential security which is our natural state as babies releases neuropeptides that alter out mood and as the electrochemical messages are spread to each cell in the body the magnetic polarity of a person if you will aligns and often they experience symbolic visual stimuli and affect that let's them "feel God."

I agree with her and have taught myself to trigger this experience and I wish I could explain it better. I'm curious if I had been raised atheist and learnt this how it would feel. Anyway, Christianity really fucked me up emotionally. It made me feel ashamed for loving science, math, and physics when that is a part of who I am. So, you'll forgive me if I don't give a damn about -religion- and hope it dies.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Depends on how you look at the thing.
    Well, do you think the Judaic God is the Trinity?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, do you think the Judaic God is the Trinity?
    I don't but some people do.

I don't but some people do.
    All the Christians I know worship the Trinity, and no Jew I know worships the Trinity.

So who are these Jews who worship the Trinity?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

A human being can be different things to different people. I would expect God to be at least as multifaceted.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

All the Christians I know worship the Trinity, and no Jew I know worships the Trinity.

So who are these Jews who worship the Trinity?
    The Christians would just say that they are all worshiping the Trinity, and just don't know it.

Who's to say that they're wrong? Who's to say that they're right?

On the other hand, Muslims believe that Jews do not worship the Trinity. At the same time, as you noted, 57 Islamic states have rejected the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which includes the right to religious self-determination. So, in Islamic states, Jews do not worship the Trinity, because Islamic law has decreed this for them.

Once, in European countries, Christian law also decreed that Jews secretly worship the Trinity, even as they denied its existence, even as they were blamed for the death of one of its components. Christian law also decreed that Jews be second-class citizens, a role that they would share with the Jewish man who they were blamed for killing, but worshiped as a matter of law. Christian law too decreed that when a time came to pass, as deemed necessary by those rulers put in place by this Trinity, that they would be sacrificed just like the Jewish man who they were blamed for killing, but worshiped as a matter of law, for the renewal of the nation, just as it was when the Jews worshiped the god whose name was YHWH as a matter of law. But this is no longer the case.

After the Enlightenment, Jews worshiped the god whose name is not to be pronounced as a matter of the law of their own choosing, and so it remains in Israel. However, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights declares the right of religious self-determination for anyone, regardless of ethnic origin. So in the countries who have adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Jews worship any number of gods as their conscience guides them. They also do not have to live with the contradiction of worshiping a figure that they are culpable for killing, both as a matter of law. For as a matter of law, there are no second-class citizens, and no slaves.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

@onemoretime: I always got a kick out of how Catholics would "save" dead babies into heaven, and how the Mormons (? Or was it the JW's?) basically convert people after their deaths (thus without their permission) so they still might get into heaven.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    A human being can be different things to different people. I would expect God to be at least as multifaceted.
    So God is so multifaceted as to embrace Zeus and Poseidon. And God is so multifaceted as to embrace child sacrifice, animal sacrifice, the sacrifice of His Son, and even the sacrifice of the psyche, not to mention the sacrifice of common sense and common decency.