User Tag List

123 Last

Default God helmet experiment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

I read about this in a couple of different books seeking to prove or disprove the existence of God, anyway, I'm not so interested in that question as the question of whether or not people should have access to something like this? What if they were mass produced and sold to whoever wanted one?

WALMART

I mean, it doesn't really DO anything though, does it?

I'd feel comfortable selling one to Hitler.

As for the actual subject of the God Helmet itself, I'd prefer to liken it to the spooky phenomenon effect. Something like just by expecting to experience spooky phenomenon in a controlled environment you're more likely to report strange occurrences?

The brain is a powerful thing, but I don't know enough about this apparatus to make substantive claims.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

I read about this in a couple of different books seeking to prove or disprove the existence of God, anyway, I'm not so interested in that question as the question of whether or not people should have access to something like this? What if they were mass produced and sold to whoever wanted one?
    I don't see the harm. Some theists might claim it to be a methodology to be more closer to the paranormal/God. Whilest non-theist will add it to their decorum of arguements why they are not theists, where most theists will claim it to be simply inconclusive. Ultimately belief, either way, can never be proven or disproven. Scientifically, all it proves is that it is a possibility that feelings and visions of God may be because of interference in the frontal lobes, but it can never prove that all such cases, past present and future, are in fact because of this phenomenon.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Lately in my thinking I've been less and less concerned as to whether or not God is an external reality or internal projection of the human mind, realistically I dont see why it can not be both, especially since I think human relationships are objectively both most of the time.

The idea that God is a meme or product of the human mind or imagination, while I dont believe it is true, is not something which I think should necessarily cancel out belief per se and I've always thought that, for instance Feuerbach and Dawkins are poles apart, one seeing some value in religion, the other being wholling negative about it.

Although the idea that there is a means to access what mystics or others have accessed interests me. I could see this being something which would appeal to theists, even if it has a neurologial basis.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I heard about this in a documentary about Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and experiences of the paranormal and religion. It was fascinating and basically suggested that the neurology of each person's temporal lobes exist on a scale which inherently affects our ability to believe: those with TLE and the very religious are at the most extreme end, and hard-core atheists and sceptics exist at the other. They even got Richard Dawkins to test out the helmet. They interviewed atheists and the religious, and both were satisfied with what the studies have found because it was easily explained by their own beliefs.

Edit: actually I found the documentary's name, if you're interested. It's called God on the Brain. It's worth watching if you can find it. Here's a link to the BBC article on it: God on the Brain - programme summary
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

What if they were mass produced and sold to whoever wanted one?
    I support this idea. Wearing them in public would be a wonderful way for nutjobs to make themselves known, certainly far more effective than the idiot badge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I support this idea. Wearing them in public would be a wonderful way for nutjobs to make themselves known, certainly far more effective than the idiot badge.
    It's kind of pointless when everyone has to wear it. Perhaps the nutjobs that don't believe they are nutjobs could tell all the other nutjobs to wear it? Oh wait, that's always implied, isn't it. I support this then!

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    It's kind of pointless when everyone has to wear it.
    Then it is not pointless.

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Lately in my thinking I've been less and less concerned as to whether or not God is an external reality or internal projection of the human mind, realistically I dont see why it can not be both, especially since I think human relationships are objectively both most of the time.

The idea that God is a meme or product of the human mind or imagination, while I dont believe it is true, is not something which I think should necessarily cancel out belief per se and I've always thought that, for instance Feuerbach and Dawkins are poles apart, one seeing some value in religion, the other being wholling negative about it.

Although the idea that there is a means to access what mystics or others have accessed interests me. I could see this being something which would appeal to theists, even if it has a neurologial basis.
    What type of phenomena people experience? Just feelings of being watched and feeling disorientated, abnormal bodily sensations or something more akin to what could be considered a genuine mystical state?
    I know in the paranormal circles it's pretty widely thought that there are people who are especially sensitive to electromagnetic fields like you'd have if you had faulty wiring or HEPA filters installed and that those fields can produce feelings that can be interpreted as a spirit....feelings of being watched, followed, nausea, feelings of oppression... but also that paradoxically it's thought that high fields can also intensify spirit activity. That's the general view in those circles.
    Now if you were to take the spiritualist tradition's POV seriously and consider hypothetically that there was a spirit realm. Some prominent occultists like Dion Fortune speak of there being a veil figuratively speaking between these worlds and if you peak on the other side whatever is on that side peaks back at you...so that's surely something to consider too beforehand, just in case. ...Of course you can choose to take that as just superstition and see it as brain stimulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I heard about this in a documentary about Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and experiences of the paranormal and religion. It was fascinating and basically suggested that the neurology of each person's temporal lobes exist on a scale which inherently affects our ability to believe: those with TLE and the very religious are at the most extreme end, and hard-core atheists and sceptics exist at the other. They even got Richard Dawkins to test out the helmet. They interviewed atheists and the religious, and both were satisfied with what the studies have found because it was easily explained by their own beliefs.

Edit: actually I found the documentary's name, if you're interested. It's called God on the Brain. It's worth watching if you can find it. Here's a link to the BBC article on it: God on the Brain - programme summary
    That is a really good documentary. I've seen it too and it was informative, interesting, tasteful and respectful.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Just because your insulting comments get a pass doesnt mean that that is all they amount to insults. Why dont you try to contribute something instead? Just because they have not been interesting enough for anyone to comment or take an interest in the past doesnt mean that this going to happen every time you post. You should try it. At the moment people just look at your posts and avatar and think that's that insulting guy, you could be more than that I'm sure. Think about it.