User Tag List

12311 Last

Question What are your thoughts on death/dying?

The topic and discussion in This thread got me curious as to how people factor these concepts into their lives.

Does the concept of annihilation spill into your daily life ever?
    Does contemplation ever occur/cause distress and does context affect this e.g. natural termination vs annihilation in 5 billion years [out of your lifespan]?
    When did you first realize your existence was finite and how did it/does it make you feel?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

The Brain... Shuts down like a computer... A damaged/broken brain can; Distort time.

The life ever lasting 'brain shut down sequence', may last for a few nano seconds, but the effect, can feel like a life time? IDK - That's just my 2 pence on the subject.

But who knows?.. Ay'.

Permabanned

It's the final eternal sleep...at least that's what I think. I like being asleep.

I have 80 years before it must happen, so in the meantime my job is to make sure those 80 years weren't wasted.

And it's something I think about daily.

Death isn't a bad thing.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

There's stuff being suggested by research and theorising in physics which is at least as mad as any of the afterlives dreamt up by world religions.

Among my favourites are the ideas that death would be something like the finish of an episode of quantum leap, that anything that can be thought can happen, that anything that can happen will happen.

It bugs me, bugs me because I feel at 33 like I'm late in the game trying to seriously push for greater physical perfection and learning, the same expectations, hopes and plans, less in the way of opportunities. You know you're old when you feel like you're on short time or time flies, even my time at work flies, when I was young time went in slowly, days were long, there was a lot of real boredom in the waiting and hoping for something to happen or TV schedules to roll or parents to get home from work, I've vivid memories of that. Now all the time seems to fly past like life is set on fast forward. I see my parents aging in front of my eyes and know I'll have less time with them now that I think I can really appreciate their company as something precious than I'll need. Its also part of the reason I really dont take alcohol or drugs, too little time to spend either intoxicated or recovering from it.

I know I'm never going to get through all my books, this really troubles me. I've tried time slicing all sorts of ways and been more disciplined with my time but it doesnt change things much and doesnt make me feel any the more satisfied with how I've spent the day, any day.

I'm really not part of the pro-death culture, the one which loves the idea of assisted suicide and stuff like that, life is what I like and I know my own aversion to the idea of death and its finality is really about my idea of life and needing to spend it right.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Time for our bodys is waning from the day of birth. Use it wisely, for it is the only currency you can't get more of, but only more out of.
    I N V I C T U S

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    There's stuff being suggested by research and theorising in physics which is at least as mad as any of the afterlives dreamt up by world religions.

Among my favourites are the ideas that death would be something like the finish of an episode of quantum leap, that anything that can be thought can happen, that anything that can happen will happen.

It bugs me, bugs me because I feel at 33 like I'm late in the game trying to seriously push for greater physical perfection and learning, the same expectations, hopes and plans, less in the way of opportunities. You know you're old when you feel like you're on short time or time flies, even my time at work flies, when I was young time went in slowly, days were long, there was a lot of real boredom in the waiting and hoping for something to happen or TV schedules to roll or parents to get home from work, I've vivid memories of that. Now all the time seems to fly past like life is set on fast forward. I see my parents aging in front of my eyes and know I'll have less time with them now that I think I can really appreciate their company as something precious than I'll need. Its also part of the reason I really dont take alcohol or drugs, too little time to spend either intoxicated or recovering from it.

I know I'm never going to get through all my books, this really troubles me. I've tried time slicing all sorts of ways and been more disciplined with my time but it doesnt change things much and doesnt make me feel any the more satisfied with how I've spent the day, any day.

I'm really not part of the pro-death culture, the one which loves the idea of assisted suicide and stuff like that, life is what I like and I know my own aversion to the idea of death and its finality is really about my idea of life and needing to spend it right.
    I have a ton of e-books waiting for me to have time to read them.

The theoretical propositions are interesting and likely to reveal themselves nothing short of reality shattering, like the end of theocentrism marked the end of an era [the earth is not flat].

I also notice time flying nowadays, things used to take forever just few years ago. Seems it's not just the expansion of the universe that is accelerating.

I'm not pro-death; thread tittle meant to inquiry about ppl«s generic POV. I don't think about death much, or if it does cross my mind like in the making of this thread, it's from an apparent detached POV; as per linked thread, the contemplation of events 5 billion years from now is little more than just an idea, even if tis bound to happen, due to the unrealistic time span; however, I do hope that if we manage to survive that long, we'll be Type III or IV.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Death is the engine of natural selection. In fact mega death shapes our selection.

The worst thing is to live forever because then nothing natural would be selected.

Death, I am told, is the compost of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Death is the engine of natural selection. In fact mega death shapes our selection.

The worst thing is to live forever because then nothing natural would be selected.

Death, I am told, is the compost of life.

It is theorized we are immortal, we just dont remember it
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

The whole "never having anything to worry about again, ever" part sounds awesome. I'm looking forward to that aspect of it.

The part about getting that way, on the other hand, sounds lousy. There's pretty much no way to die that doesn't involve agony.

The final moments probably aren't bad, though. From what I've seen, pretty much everyone who's been legally dead and revived describes the process of the brain shutting down as serene.

To answer your questions, I'm always thinking about life and its meaning to some degree, so it's not something I would describe as "spilling over" into my life. I also really couldn't say when I first realized not only that other people perish but that I would as well, but I was young enough that I don't recall.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I will write more of my thoughts about it later, but for now: basically it kind of freaks me out and I just prefer to avoid it. But mentally I accept it as necessary. I believe in reincarnation.