User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I think of death fairly often, and am working on coming to peace with it. I was born with an extremely severe medical condition, and have been on the brink of death a few times, so the idea of being finite has always been very present and very tangible in my life. I am afraid not of dying in and of itself but of lack of infinity, and I have always had a sense of only having so much time to enjoy... I rarely, rarely experience boredom and am always trying to fill my life with meaning - though as is so typical for an N-dom, I get caught in my head often.

As for spiritual beliefs, I err on the side of thinking that clearly there is something about death that humans simply don't understand / aren't privy to, and there will probably be some sort of conscious afterlife. I do like the idea of reincarnation, though not simply confined to this universe - logically one's particles will be (and are currently) "reincarnated" in any number of terrestrial and extraterrestrial forms. I feel to some extent that I must simply suspend my impatience and trust the workings of universe, and believe that I will be granted with the knowledge that I need when I need it. I have the feeling that if I am always striving to become a better being, if I try to live in harmony with the universe, if I take care of my fellow beings and my environment, and try to live a happy and moral life, things will turn out just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot
    To me, they were copping out on reality and placing their fear of the unknown in a very knowable place
    Yeah. I don't begrudge anyone their faith, as it's everyone's individual right to choose, but I do also feel that it is a cop-out at times. Just yesterday in the car I mentioned to my boyfriend that I thought it would be nice to feel the security that many religious people have, the result of having a steady paradigm of the universe. He said something to the effect of yes it would be nice to have that security, but it wouldn't be worth living a life of illusion. I agree.

You're dead, you're gone. Sayonara. Hope you enjoyed having me around.
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    I was thinking more Quantum Electrodynamics, but that's a good question...
    I hear you, I just tend to use QED as a metaphor for impossible/"spiritual" experiences. For example, time travel I believe is often a metaphor for memory (I like to reverse lines of causation in such explorations myself as well though I know that is much more.. controversial : ) ) ) . I think of time as probabilistic as well, because if information can only be stored in physical patterns and that information degrades over time because of entropy then our knowledge of the past is potentially continually degrading and is untrustworthy. Obviously, entropic rates can vary and so forth, but I don't think we've questioned many of our basic axoimatic truths. I prefer to play with the axioms until they match the reality I perceive. Of course many different axiomatic sets result in similar outcomes so I view the truth values they have as probabalistic with reference to the frequency that they contribute to perception. For me, À la recherche du temps perdu was a great help in learning to switch between various interpretations of time experientially, which in turn effects interpretation of being and thus of death. Thank you for helping me to clarify (for myself) my own thoughts a bit more fully. I think I'll mull on this a bit more.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Another thing to consider, is, if our "souls" really were nothing but chemicals, then (as some I have seen mentioned in places), the same combinations are possible to be reconstructed.
    But it is also possible for the same combinations to be out there elsewhere right now, in this vast universe. That makes it seem that consciousness cannot be entirely a set of chemicals. There must be some other element that is truly "individual", and can only exist in one place at a time
    (However, there is no fixed "now" overall, still it seems there would be a possibility of being two places at the same time if it were just chemicals).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    Another thing to consider, is, if our "souls" really were nothing but chemicals, then (as some I have seen mentioned in places), the same combinations are possible to be reconstructed.
    But it is also possible for the same combinations to be out there elsewhere right now, in this vast universe. That makes it seem that consciousness cannot be entirely a set of chemicals. There must be some other element that is truly "individual", and can only exist in one place at a time
    (However, there is no fixed "now" overall, still it seems there would be a possibility of being two places at the same time if it were just chemicals).
    Or, there's the simpler, and more likely answer with what we know. There would be two identical, yet separate streams of consciousness.

EDIT: Although, if exact chemical and physical iterations of a brain meant that consciousness is shared, how would 'you' know if it were shared? For that situation to occur, you'd have to be feeling/thinking/knowing/seeing the same things anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Or, there's the simpler, and more likely answer with what we know. There would be two identical, yet separate streams of consciousness.

EDIT: Although, if exact chemical and physical iterations of a brain meant that consciousness is shared, how would 'you' know if it were shared? For that situation to occur, you'd have to be feeling/thinking/knowing/seeing the same things anyway.
    Meditation might help.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

ndovjtjcaqidthi

You gotta go sometime.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Does the concept of annihilation spill into your daily life ever?

Yes. I am pretty good at controlling it, but sometimes I have a really strong fight or flight impulse that turns into a loop. I have panic attacks and can't function.

Does contemplation ever occur/cause distress and does context affect this e.g. natural termination vs annihilation in 5 billion years [out of your lifespan]?

Yes, as explained above. And context can affect it somewhat, but since it is all speculation, it doesn't help much. If I believed I could live 5 billion years, I wouldn't be concerned about it. Thing is... I probably only have 60 more years tops. Which is barely any time.

When did you first realize your existence was finite and how did it/does it make you feel?

I was laying in my bed and I had the recurring thoughts that I'd had since I was little.. imagining layers of space extending outwards infinitely. Eventually, I had always thought ACK and given up. But this night I was able to mark my place, in a way, and from each point in space stretch further outward, and repeat and repeat, until I had put my mind up against something I don't think most humans can process. My mind was kind of "trapped" there for a while and I felt like I was half dead for months. I had to be around other people at all times, and share a bed with a friend or my mom. And I've still never told anybody what I experienced, because I didn't want to scare anyone or take anyone else's mind there.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post

So then it would seem that these "separate streams of consciousness" would be different souls differentiated by something outside the chemical/physical iterations.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)

Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Was going to post this here, but here is a more relevant topic:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post1986721

Type Ideas