User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Because only Jehovah's Witnesses have inklings of hope for an afterlife (or believe that you have to find heaven now)?
    I dont know a lot about Jehovah's Witnesses, besides the belief that Jesus was not crucified on a cross, but I was thrown by that post too.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm a Roman Catholic, while I consider myself a traditionalist by secular standards I would be refered to as a "Vatican Two Catholic" or "a la carte Catholic" by those who consider themselves conservatives or traditionalists by another standard.

God may not mean us to have any after life, the bible not clear on this point, not at all. Even in Jesus' day there were elements among the Hebrews who denied the existence of any afterlife, miracles, angels etc.

Jesus does speak of an afterlife and judgement in the same, he also speaks as many Jews did of the kingdom of heaven or God not as an afterlife but as a future stage in historical time, in the way in which political reformers or ideological thinkers talk of a once and future "Golden Age".

I think that it is in Mark, in a single chapter upon the final judgement, and the books of revelation/apocalypse that the kingdom of God as an afterlife which will eventually be joined to this life as a singular reality.
    Well, I am still hoping for an after life. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I posted this on a different forum:

So we all know that a spirit is an intangible concept in the extreme, we cannot pin-point it, nor can we truely prove it.

Yet there exists this almost innate notion or idea of a spirit or a soul. Ok so this is not a particularly new subject, nor is this a new thought, but I did wonder about the old cliche question of existance after death.

To me it would seem that on the surface we are nothing but a series of atoms and components and those components are created from the same reality as the universe(s) around us. But, (and this has fascinated people for centuries), our ability to conceive and construct archetypal realities in our minds is far beyond the sphere of our tangible environment.

It is the most beautiful and human thing about us and the part of us that I cherish most as a species: Our imagination.

However, if we are to think of the brain and the human body in general as merely a series of chemical reactions and synapses it could well be that it would be impossible for something like a spirit to exist outside of our mortal constructs, afterall if all that energy and life is merely the product of the universal laws of concrete reality then it makes no sense that there could be such an intangible and improbable life force as a spirit running around after death.
    Yet we do possess a spark beyond the reach of this finality. We have changed the reality of our environment and twisted it into the shapes of our inner thoughts. If you pick up a fork you will see the archetype of an implement, a tool, used specifically for ease of use in the consumption of food. And this stretches to all of us within our respective environments, we all possess idea's of what our tools are, what our created realities are, but it is where these came from that is so endlessly engaging.

That ability to imprint what is in our inner mind's eye onto the outward reality around us is a great gift and one that bends the final laws of nature without breaking them.
    Of course a person could, and many often have, argue that even our concrete reality is nothing more than a dream, not much different from the inner one.

I suppose all im wondering is: Could there ever be a part of us that would exist after our demise, beyond the empty shell we leave in the dirt behind us?

I know that if there was such a spirit then id imagine that it would not be like being a human. We lose our bodies and our brains and at that point we are no longer humans, our frame of reference is changed forever.

However I do not wish to live forever, immortality is the dream of the selfish and the fearful, it may just be that we shut down and then nothing. I do not necessarily hope for an afterlife, I was just wondering if a part of us would go out into the universe and become part of it's reality?

To be honest I imagine being a disembodied spirit would be quite boring, but then again the truth of the matter is most likely that we are all worm food.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

i have a very active, exciting dream life and imagine the next plane of existence (about which i know nearly nothing, yet am convinced exists) to be at least as wonderful. a place where the limitations of human form are lifted.

so while i have some very important goals i would like to achieve here and would deeply regret causing others unhappiness when i depart, i am ready at any time for what comes next. i think of it as an adventure, and if it's as fun as this one has been, i would embrace it wholeheartedly.
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by agentfurrina View Post
    i have a very active, exciting dream life and imagine the next plane of existence (about which i know nearly nothing, yet am convinced exists) to be at least as wonderful. a place where the limitations of human form are lifted.

so while i have some very important goals i would like to achieve here and would deeply regret causing others unhappiness when i depart, i am ready at any time for what comes next. i think of it as an adventure, and if it's as fun as this one has been, i would embrace it wholeheartedly.
    Just looked at your sig, but how did I already know that you were a core 7 from this post? lol

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Just looked at your sig, but how did I already know that you were a core 7 from this post? lol
    haha i am not sure what a "core 7" is (assuming you refer to my enneatype). how does this differ from a 7?

in any case, 7's a pretty damn good number! (did you know that there are 7 colors of the rainbow, hmm?)

vibgyor

sorry...back to annihilation.
    I may be kindly, I am ordinarily gentle, but in my line of business I am obliged to will terribly what I will at all.
    ~ Catherine the Great

7w6 ❣ sx/so ❤ physical touch ❥ sanguine 70%, choleric 30% ❦

Johari.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

haha i am not sure what a "core 7" is (assuming you refer to my enneatype). how does this differ from a 7?

in any case, 7's a pretty damn good number! (did you know that there are 7 colors of the rainbow, hmm?)

vibgyor

sorry...back to annihilation.
    Well for instance, I am a 6w7, so therefore I have a lot of 7 in me, but it's not my core type. Also one could also have 7 in their tri-type. However, since 7 is your main type, you're a core 7.

WALMART

AWESOME

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I do not believe in an afterlife.

Though what I think about death and dying has and can have zero effect on its inevitability or the reality of what occurs, if anything, afterward (nor is there anyway to confirm or refute them), so I seem no point in ruminating on it for extended periods.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I do not believe in an afterlife.

Though what I think about death and dying has and can have zero effect on its inevitability or the reality of what occurs, if anything, afterward (nor is there anyway to confirm or refute them), so I seem no point in ruminating on it for extended periods.
    Hmm, what is your opinion of the stoics writing on this topic? Or the courage shown by Thomas Moore or the King Charles the 1st (who Cromwell had executed)?