User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I was sitting at my brother's grave, looking at these tiny yellow flowers, when I realized that someday I will end (I being a personality, a soul, something flickeringly unique?) and that, best case scenario, my body will reintegrate. I don't know where I will go, or if I will go anywhere (I have some notion that I will join a choir, or perhaps a pool, or maybe a cloud). This doesn't cause me anxiety. If I end, I end. If I don't end, I don't end. What matters is thishererightnow, that I fill up the space here while I am not annihilated (or whatever the alternative).

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub747pprmJ8"]relevant[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Death is something that I think about happening to people I dont like sometimes. I'm there too.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Lots of chemical compounds present in the human body in the womb, why can't they be the soul?

Anyway, yes, it could be the soul entering and exiting the body via a chemical compound. Or a thetan. Or invisible unicorns giving you your allotment of all the smiles you will ever smile.

But there's no evidence in favor of any of those theories, so as a skeptic, I'll cast in with the more probable theory that a chemical compound which causes us to experience life's struggle for survival as meaningful is beneficial in the propagation of the species. Being open-minded doesn't mean you have to entertain every baseless theory that you encounter.
    Yes i agree with you to 100%. I don't really think there is anything more to it and I cant see how one could prove any metaphysical event.

However having the said experience I chose to believe in that there's a possiblility of something else. Its anectdotal evidence at best and at worst the makings of a drugged up mind, i dont really care as it in no way interfer with my ability to function in this world and it's an entertaining think to have in the back of the mind...

MBTI
    INFP

This is a subject close to my heart, as I am often puzzled by the notable lack of general wonder in others..

Life is such an exceptional opportunity, yet so many seem jaded to this.

You only get one. Make it good. Make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    But you are a christian correct? You believe in a after life, do you not?
    I hope for eternal life, I dont know, sometimes I dont believe either, but I always hope and God has given what I have asked for in the past.

Although if you speak of heaven or paradise, if you do not find these things in this life, then you will not find them in any other either.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Does the concept of annihilation spill into your daily life ever?

Not a day goes by when I don't think about it.

Does contemplation ever occur/cause distress and does context affect this e.g. natural termination vs annihilation in 5 billion years [out of your lifespan]?

The thought that humanity will likely go extinct eventually is also unsettling to me even if I'll never be there to witness it. I figure we will go extinct either due to our own stupidity (like nuclear war), disease, or causes beyond our control (like a huge asteroid impact).

When did you first realize your existence was finite and how did it/does it make you feel?

When I was about 4, I first realized that we will all die someday. I'm not sure how much I really grasped then about the finality of death. As an older kid, the thought of it made me more uneasy but I also believed in an afterlife. There was the anxiety that I would not get to heaven. In my teenage years, I seriously questioned my religious upbringing and I came to realize that the afterlife was most likely a concept conceived by those who just couldn't accept the finality of death. So from then on, I figured there is most likely no afterlife and the life we have now is the only one we will ever get so it's best to make the most of it.

I'm constantly asking myself questions like "what do I truly want to get out of life?" "Am I on the right track to doing what I want to do with my life?" "What are the things I want to make sure to do or accomplish in my life? and what could I live without doing?" I realize that no one can do it all in the lifespan we have, so choices must be made.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    This is a subject close to my heart, as I am often puzzled by the notable lack of general wonder in others..

Life is such an exceptional opportunity, yet so many seem jaded to this.

You only get one. Make it good. Make it worthwhile.
    I understand and am sympathetic to the sentiment. I think though, as may be evidenced by the discussion here, that it isn't a place of easy arrival, without first going through some turmoil. It's an awareness that needs to be gained from within, not transferable through intellectual discussion, although that can contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    I'm constantly asking myself questions like "what do I truly want to get out of life?" "Am I on the right track to doing what I want to do with my life?" "What are the things I want to make sure to do or accomplish in my life? and what could I live without doing?" I realize that no one can do it all in the lifespan we have, so choices must be made.
    I strikes me to be a natural followup to the initial turmoil, after realizing the inevitability of life, in an attempt to best apply the newly gained insight.

It seems some people [perhaps Te/Se types ?] may be more attuned to engaging life than others, and so this contemplation rarely finds it's way into their conscious mind, while others find themselves ruminating on the manifold pathways they can follow suit.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    I understand and am sympathetic to the sentiment. I think though, as may be evidenced by the discussion here, that it isn't a place of easy arrival, without first going through some turmoil. It's an awareness that needs to be gained from within, not transferable through intellectual discussion, although that can contribute.
    True. I have been through much turmoil, so that would explain my appreciation of the present.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I hope for eternal life, I dont know, sometimes I dont believe either, but I always hope and God has given what I have asked for in the past.

Although if you speak of heaven or paradise, if you do not find these things in this life, then you will not find them in any other either.
    What are you a Jehova's Witness or something?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Because only Jehovah's Witnesses have inklings of hope for an afterlife (or believe that you have to find heaven now)?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

I'm a Roman Catholic, while I consider myself a traditionalist by secular standards I would be refered to as a "Vatican Two Catholic" or "a la carte Catholic" by those who consider themselves conservatives or traditionalists by another standard.

God may not mean us to have any after life, the bible not clear on this point, not at all. Even in Jesus' day there were elements among the Hebrews who denied the existence of any afterlife, miracles, angels etc.

Jesus does speak of an afterlife and judgement in the same, he also speaks as many Jews did of the kingdom of heaven or God not as an afterlife but as a future stage in historical time, in the way in which political reformers or ideological thinkers talk of a once and future "Golden Age".

I think that it is in Mark, in a single chapter upon the final judgement, and the books of revelation/apocalypse that the kingdom of God as an afterlife which will eventually be joined to this life as a singular reality.