User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask, since I would identify agnosticism before atheism. But I'm definitely a non-theist.

I wish I understood your last statement better, but I will operate under the assumption I have.

Self-preservation is a concern for me, I remember having some deep thoughts about conscious transferring methods that would allow me to live 'forever'. Just for funsies. I want to experience interstellar travel and things of the sort :P

I've never 'believed' in an afterlife so it's not like I know any better. I remember going to a day bible camp thing around age 5. There were a lot of bible themed activities but I never really thought about God or my sins or death or anything like that (not that I can remember at least). Probably around age 12 is when I went to church, looked around and thought, "what a bunch of strange people". To me, they were copping out on reality and placing their fear of the unknown in a very knowable place: superstition. Blah blah blah, I'm sure you've heard the story a hundred times.
    Interesting to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    It's traumatic at first, but once we surrender it gets bearable. Then we start focusing on the positive aspects. Can you imagine a world crowded with 100 billions of spirits? How about getting tired of living and not being able to quit?

I went through that. Sigh.
    Some people have the false impression that atheists don't care about dying because of the fact that we believe there's no afterlife, and therefore life is pointless, but I think the opposite is much more common.
    Anyways, it gets bearable. We humans are very adaptable. I think believing in afterlife is more comforting, but the belief does not make sense to me.
    So you were scarred as hell at first, and then just came to terms with it?

Quote Originally Posted by unsung View Post
    Because there would be nothing to worry about after my death? It's ironic you mention the need for selfpreservation would multiply, because it seems to me that the thought of an afterlife is a concept tailored to comfort those with a strong need to preserve themselves. Why would I be scared of dying? I don't believe in an afterlife but I do believe life is sacred, I've come to terms with that I one day will pass away and the rest of the universe wouldn't even blink, and it only motivates me to achieve the life I want instead of wasting time on pointless theorizing. The way I see it, you affirm life by accepting death, and deny it by preparing for it.
    True. One argument that always pissed me off when it comes to atheists is that people believe in God and remain ignorant to what they call, "the truth" because they use this so called, "God" as a crutch because they are too weak to depend on themselves. I however do not believe that. In fact, in my opinion, if people really choose to remain so called, "ignorant" it's because they don't want to believe that they are just "gone" when they are dead. They don't want to believe that you just go into a deep, internal sleep. No one wants that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    We recognize that reality pays no mind to the strength of our desire it be some other way, and learn to live with it.

In the words of Mark Twain, "I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Accepting that and enjoying life on its own terms seems more relaxing than treating life like an audition for the afterlife to me.

On a practical level, we're all just biding our time, so do those things that make it worth it for you until you have no more time to bide.
    I just find it so amazing how you guys can just accept this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Lots of chemical compounds present in the human body in the womb, why can't they be the soul?

Anyway, yes, it could be the soul entering and exiting the body via a chemical compound. Or a thetan. Or invisible unicorns giving you your allotment of all the smiles you will ever smile.

But there's no evidence in favor of any of those theories, so as a skeptic, I'll cast in with the more probable theory that a chemical compound which causes us to experience life's struggle for survival as meaningful is beneficial in the propagation of the species. Being open-minded doesn't mean you have to entertain every baseless theory that you encounter.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Lots of chemical compounds present in the human body in the womb, why can't they be the soul?

Anyway, yes, it could be the soul entering and exiting the body via a chemical compound. Or a thetan. Or invisible unicorns giving you your allotment of all the smiles you will ever smile.

But there's no evidence in favor of any of those theories, so as a skeptic, I'll cast in with the more probable theory that a chemical compound which causes us to experience life's struggle for survival as meaningful is beneficial in the propagation of the species. Being open-minded doesn't mean you have to entertain every baseless theory that you encounter.
    Fair enough, as an INTP I tend to entertain everything. :P

I was just a bit snarky at your initial post which insiniated a sort of 'lol, get out of here' vibe, rather than just saying what you think about the subject.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Fair enough, as an INTP I tend to entertain everything. :P

I was just a bit snarky at your initial post which insiniated a sort of 'lol, get out of here' vibe, rather than just saying what you think about the subject.
    True. Which brings me to another point.....How is it possible for an Ne user not to have at least a touch of agnostic in them? Seriously with Ne one sees basically all possibilities.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    True. Which brings me to another point.....How is it possible for an Ne user not to have at least a touch of agnostic in them? Seriously with Ne one sees basically all possibilities.
    I am agnostic. I sometimes say I'm atheist but that's just a bad habit. Believing in something, or better said conforming to something without actual evidence, is not something I would easily do. I've been known to make exceptions, small ones, based on interpersonal relationships and such. But on something as big as theism, there is indeed no wiggle room. Ti+Ne to the core.

But I enjoy to think about any and every possibly theology if my time allows.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    So you were scarred as hell at first, and then just came to terms with it?
    Yes. That took a couple of years.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    The topic and discussion in This thread got me curious as to how people factor these concepts into their lives.

Does the concept of annihilation spill into your daily life ever?
    Does contemplation ever occur/cause distress and does context affect this e.g. natural termination vs annihilation in 5 billion years [out of your lifespan]?
    When did you first realize your existence was finite and how did it/does it make you feel?

I was sitting at my brother's grave, looking at these tiny yellow flowers, when I realized that someday I will end (I being a personality, a soul, something flickeringly unique?) and that, best case scenario, my body will reintegrate. I don't know where I will go, or if I will go anywhere (I have some notion that I will join a choir, or perhaps a pool, or maybe a cloud). This doesn't cause me anxiety. If I end, I end. If I don't end, I don't end. What matters is thishererightnow, that I fill up the space here while I am not annihilated (or whatever the alternative).
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Death is something that I think about happening to people I dont like sometimes. I'm there too.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I am agnostic. I sometimes say I'm atheist but that's just a bad habit. Believing in something, or better said conforming to something without actual evidence, is not something I would easily do. I've been known to make exceptions, small ones, based on interpersonal relationships and such. But on something as big as theism, there is indeed no wiggle room. Ti+Ne to the core.

That makes sense.

I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Death is something that I think about happening to people I dont like sometimes. I'm there too.
    But you are a christian correct? You believe in a after life, do you not?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

That makes sense.

I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    But you are a christian correct? You believe in a after life, do you not?