User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 158

  1. #21
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Personally, I am of the Christian religion and believe that there is a life after death. I would like to know how the rest of you that are total atheists live with the fact that there is no after-life?
    It's traumatic at first, but once we surrender it gets bearable. Then we start focusing on the positive aspects. Can you imagine a world crowded with 100 billions of spirits? How about getting tired of living and not being able to quit?
    Seriously, it seems like the need for self-preservation would go up like 10 fold. Keep in mind I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong, I am simply asking you how you don't wake up scared shitless of dying everyday?
    I went through that. Sigh.
    Some people have the false impression that atheists don't care about dying because of the fact that we believe there's no afterlife, and therefore life is pointless, but I think the opposite is much more common.
    Anyways, it gets bearable. We humans are very adaptable. I think believing in afterlife is more comforting, but the belief does not make sense to me.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  2. #22
    hypersane Hive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Personally, I am of the Christian religion and believe that there is a life after death. I would like to know how the rest of you that are total atheists live with the fact that there is no after-life? Seriously, it seems like the need for self-preservation would go up like 10 fold. Keep in mind I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong, I am simply asking you how you don't wake up scared shitless of dying everyday?
    Because there would be nothing to worry about after my death? It's ironic you mention the need for selfpreservation would multiply, because it seems to me that the thought of an afterlife is a concept tailored to comfort those with a strong need to preserve themselves. Why would I be scared of dying? I don't believe in an afterlife but I do believe life is sacred, I've come to terms with that I one day will pass away and the rest of the universe wouldn't even blink, and it only motivates me to achieve the life I want instead of wasting time on pointless theorizing. The way I see it, you affirm life by accepting death, and deny it by preparing for it.

  3. #23
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    The whole "never having anything to worry about again, ever" part sounds awesome. I'm looking forward to that aspect of it.

    The part about getting that way, on the other hand, sounds lousy. There's pretty much no way to die that doesn't involve agony.

    The final moments probably aren't bad, though. From what I've seen, pretty much everyone who's been legally dead and revived describes the process of the brain shutting down as serene.

    To answer your questions, I'm always thinking about life and its meaning to some degree, so it's not something I would describe as "spilling over" into my life. I also really couldn't say when I first realized not only that other people perish but that I would as well, but I was young enough that I don't recall.
    More the idea of it happening that the specific details of how it would happen, but I get what you mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    I will write more of my thoughts about it later, but for now: basically it kind of freaks me out and I just prefer to avoid it. But mentally I accept it as necessary. I believe in reincarnation.
    I can also see reincarnation being a relevant variable, as depicted below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I try not to overthink. If I were raised as an atheist, I think I'd have an easier time accepting death as a natural thing, but my transition to atheism was a bit traumatic. I believe I will return to a ''state'' that ''I'' already spent billions of years at. So, in a way, this shouldn't be something be feared. The idea of spending an eternity under some sort of unquestionable divine jurisdiction is perhaps scarier. I wish I could just embrace my mortality as a good thing, but I'm not there yet. I think it takes time. I hope I live enough to get to the point where I'm totally in peace with it.
    What happens if you don't?

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I'm fairly certain I'm an implant of a higher dimension, and will continue 'waking up' in higher worlds

    ... Or so weed has told me once.
    You're not alone, see below.

    Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I am fine with the concept of death. I just am concerned about what is causing me to die... what I will experience in those final moments. I hope that I will be asleep and in the dream I will just step off that thought into a larger thought.

    It used to bother me as I am used to being able to figure out crazy solutions to most of my life's problems whenever I have needed to. Now, it doesn't bother me at all. (Again, the difference is that death itself doesn't bother me; death by plane crash does.)

    I first realized this when I was 5. I was thinking and I looked at my mother and the thought came to me that someday she would die. I cried for days and refused to tell anyone why I was so upset. I know it was a summer day. I wish I knew which exact day it was to see if there is a link, a meaning, an overlooked thought to rethink. Afterward, I realized that someday I, too, would die.

    Thinking about the concept now. I feel many things. It is hard to separate each feeling into its separate strand of thought. I hope that when I leave, I will leave something worthwhile behind.
    Yeah, again, the whole specificity seems to me, to be a variation of the concern some have described, even if it's not the even per se, but it's still relating to it, as if some attempt off seeking a one-up-able side of it [way X is not okay; way Y is okay].

    I can't recall what age it happened, but I had a similar experience, realizing my own mortality. I recall I was very sad for a while and it would be a recurring feeling. Eventually it gradually faded out with time, as the mind found itself to busy with everything else life was throwing my way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    My first thought upon readong the topic name "What are your thoughts on death/dying?". Is that I don't want to die. I don't want it to end. I might not truely want to live forever in an absolute sense, but I would love to live as long as I find it worth living, and that is much longer than the average lifespan of a human.
    I can relate to the whole "want to see more". Like interstellar travel etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    I often feel that I am from a higher demension ....Has any one ever feel that their bodies function differently than most...? meaning require less nutrition, sleep,...... or even is somehow immune to pain and injury ..!!?
    No me, but see above.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  4. #24
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Personally, I am of the Christian religion and believe that there is a life after death. I would like to know how the rest of you that are total atheists live with the fact that there is no after-life? Seriously, it seems like the need for self-preservation would go up like 10 fold. Keep in mind I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong, I am simply asking you how you don't wake up scared shitless of dying everyday?
    We recognize that reality pays no mind to the strength of our desire it be some other way, and learn to live with it.

    In the words of Mark Twain, "I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it." Accepting that and enjoying life on its own terms seems more relaxing than treating life like an audition for the afterlife to me.

    On a practical level, we're all just biding our time, so do those things that make it worth it for you until you have no more time to bide.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I diden't believe in afterlife at all prior to being introduced to psychedelics. I would suggest reading the "Tibetian book of the dead" and study the neurotransmitter dimethyltryptamine (DMT) if one is interested in things like this.

    It goes something like this but isen't proven but there is evidence to suggest it: At 49 days the fetus in the mothers stomach receives a gender, at the same time its believed (read: not proven) that a high dose of DMT is induced. This should be the 'soul' or whatever entering the body. The same thing is believed to happen at death, a high amount of DMT is suggested to be inside of the brain. Almost every organic compound on earth has this chemical and humans have it running in the brain all the time with peak levels during REM sleep, its supposed to be responsible for dreams and some people attribute higher mediative states, spiritual experiences and ET-encounters to be the brain dosing a high level of DMT being released.

    When smoked or injected DMT produces a experience with many associate with dying. You smoke three bowls in a pipe and you get torn from the earth at light speed thru complex gemetrical golden patterns that defines physical laws and are impossible, you meet angels, sprits or aliens that conducts experiments, healing or tell you truths.

    This is a transmitter that is running thru your system every second of every day of your life. When experiments been done by Rick Straussman giving subjects a DMT-antagonist stoping the DMT from attatching to the receptors in the brain, people experience colors as dull, life is empty and mechanical and so on.

    To some extent I want to believe that DMT is in fact the spirt molecule and somehow responsible for our spirtuality and I do believe that. However there is no proof for it so I would never ask you to agree, this is my personal belief and it gives me some abstract comfort. However the experiments made by Dr Straussman is interesting indeed and more studies should be conducted.

  6. #26
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    What happens if you don't?
    Then I suspect that either a) I wouldn't see it coming or b) the lingering agony would lead me to desire and accept death very easily.
    -----------------

    A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '


    -----------------

  7. #27
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    @Myrtle, food for thought. Ever suggested DMT doesn't induce a dreamstate but allows us to wake up from our current state? A la matrix style?

    Reason I'm saying this is because of:

    "Several subjects also reported contact with 'other beings', alien like, insectoid or reptilian in nature, in highly advanced technological environments[13] where the subjects were 'carried,' 'probed,' 'tested,' 'manipulated,' 'dismembered,' 'taught,' 'loved,' and even 'raped' by these 'beings' (one could note the strong similarities of these bodily tests/invasions in other psychedelic experiences throughout time, outlined in Graham Hancock's "Supernatural"[106]). "

    Although I suppose people taking DMT could read this and based on their expectancies going in to the drugstate, live this kind of dream. But I would like to see how people respond to it that have no knowledge about the drug whatsoever, completely uninfluenced by potential outcomes.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  8. #28
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Then I suspect that either a) I wouldn't see it coming or b) the lingering agony would lead me to desire and accept death very easily.
    I would speculate, life to just unfold that way, without any specific drama evidencing this. But perhaps that could take place in those final moments where one's entire life flashed before the eyes. /shrug
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  9. #29
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Myrtle, how would demonstration that a chemical compound is responsible for causing people to believe they've had spiritual experiences in favor of the existence of a spiritual realm?
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  10. #30
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Myrtle, how would demonstration that a chemical compound is responsible for causing people to believe they've had spiritual experiences in favor of the existence of a spiritual realm?
    ^See my post. See the drug not as a drug, but as a stimulant that makes the psyche wake up.

    I don't believe in it though, but I can see where he comes from when he says he beliefs there can be more to it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] NTs what are your thoughts on this image?
    By SUPER in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-11-2010, 01:09 AM
  2. NFs what are your thoughts on this image?
    By SUPER in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-08-2010, 12:55 PM
  3. [SJ] SJs, what are your thoughts on the other types?
    By Dali in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 05:29 PM
  4. Has anyone heard of Global Dimming and if so what are your thoughts on it??
    By ladypinkington in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO