User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I try not to overthink. If I were raised as an atheist, I think I'd have an easier time accepting death as a natural thing, but my transition to atheism was a bit traumatic. I believe I will return to a ''state'' that ''I'' already spent billions of years at. So, in a way, this shouldn't be something be feared. The idea of spending an eternity under some sort of unquestionable divine jurisdiction is perhaps scarier. I wish I could just embrace my mortality as a good thing, but I'm not there yet. I think it takes time. I hope I live enough to get to the point where I'm totally in peace with it.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

WALMART

I'm fairly certain I'm an implant of a higher dimension, and will continue 'waking up' in higher worlds

... Or so weed has told me once.

Anew Leaf

I am fine with the concept of death. I just am concerned about what is causing me to die... what I will experience in those final moments. I hope that I will be asleep and in the dream I will just step off that thought into a larger thought.

It used to bother me as I am used to being able to figure out crazy solutions to most of my life's problems whenever I have needed to. Now, it doesn't bother me at all. (Again, the difference is that death itself doesn't bother me; death by plane crash does.)

I first realized this when I was 5. I was thinking and I looked at my mother and the thought came to me that someday she would die. I cried for days and refused to tell anyone why I was so upset. I know it was a summer day. I wish I knew which exact day it was to see if there is a link, a meaning, an overlooked thought to rethink. Afterward, I realized that someday I, too, would die.

Thinking about the concept now. I feel many things. It is hard to separate each feeling into its separate strand of thought. I hope that when I leave, I will leave something worthwhile behind.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

My first thought upon readong the topic name "What are your thoughts on death/dying?". Is that I don't want to die. I don't want it to end. I might not truely want to live forever in an absolute sense, but I would love to live as long as I find it worth living, and that is much longer than the average lifespan of a human.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Personally, I am of the Christian religion and believe that there is a life after death. I would like to know how the rest of you that are total atheists live with the fact that there is no after-life? Seriously, it seems like the need for self-preservation would go up like 10 fold. Keep in mind I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong, I am simply asking you how you don't wake up scared shitless of dying everyday?

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Personally, I am of the Christian religion and believe that there is a life after death. I would like to know how the rest of you that are total atheists live with the fact that there is no after-life? Seriously, it seems like the need for self-preservation would go up like 10 fold. Keep in mind I'm not saying that I'm right and you are wrong, I am simply asking you how you don't wake up scared shitless of dying everyday?

Why? Seems like an awful way to waste your life, doesn't it?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Why? Seems like an awful way to waste your life, doesn't it?
    So you are telling me that you can be so rational, that you can just say in your mind, "Well one day I'm going to die, and when I die it's going to be forever, and there is no afterlife. But hey, I'm fine with that. I'm going to live life to the fullest with action, fun, and adventure. I won't be any more concerned with self-preservation than I was before I knew that there was an after-life?" How can you do this?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I am simply asking you how you don't wake up scared shitless of dying everyday?
    You know, I'm pretty sure there are some that are just like that.

For me, I value life and enjoy life. Sulking and being scared isn't going to make it enjoyable.

To add some contrast, I've sometimes wondered if there are theists who don't take life too seriously, because they believe in an afterlife. Actually, not just wondered, I've known people who are like that, although I'm glad to observe their numbers are shrinking nowadays.

A good example is when my father, when he drove on the ambulance, rushed to a scene where a child(infant) had stopped breathing, rescusitated him but not knowing how long the baby had been without oxygen, rushed to the hospital, on the way to the hospital, the father of the baby said to my father that whatever happens it would be okay because his child will be with God if it does. So he didn't have to go so fast.

My father is christian himself, but this infuriated him so much that he openly told the man to shut the fuck up and let him do his job. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    You know, I'm pretty sure there are some that are just like that.

For me, I value life and enjoy life. Sulking and being scared isn't going to make it enjoyable.

To add some contrast, I've sometimes wondered if there are theists who don't take life too seriously, because they believe in an afterlife. Actually, not just wondered, I've known people who are like that, although I'm glad to observe their numbers are shrinking nowadays.

A good example is when my father, when he drove on the ambulance, rushed to a scene where a child(infant) had stopped breathing, rescusitated him but not knowing how long the baby had been without oxygen, rushed to the hospital, on the way to the hospital, the father of the baby said to my father that whatever happens it would be okay because his child will be with God if it does. So he didn't have to go so fast.

My father is christian himself, but this infuriated him so much that he openly told the man to shut the fuck up and let him do his job. :P
    I would probably say that shit to the father as well. Keep in mind that I'm not 100% sure of an afterlife myself, so I would have probably told him to STFU as well.

WALMART

So you are telling me that you can be so rational, that you can just say in your mind, "Well one day I'm going to die, and when I die it's going to be forever, and there is no afterlife. But hey, I'm fine with that. I'm going to live life to the fullest with action, fun, and adventure. I won't be any more concerned with self-preservation than I was before I knew that there was an after-life?" How can you do this?

Perhaps I'm the wrong person to ask, since I would identify agnosticism before atheism. But I'm definitely a non-theist.

I wish I understood your last statement better, but I will operate under the assumption I have.

Self-preservation is a concern for me, I remember having some deep thoughts about conscious transferring methods that would allow me to live 'forever'. Just for funsies. I want to experience interstellar travel and things of the sort :P

I've never 'believed' in an afterlife so it's not like I know any better. I remember going to a day bible camp thing around age 5. There were a lot of bible themed activities but I never really thought about God or my sins or death or anything like that (not that I can remember at least). Probably around age 12 is when I went to church, looked around and thought, "what a bunch of strange people". To me, they were copping out on reality and placing their fear of the unknown in a very knowable place: superstition. Blah blah blah, I'm sure you've heard the story a hundred times.