User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

My biggest thought is that I don't want to think about it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes Ursa liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm against it
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"
    Likes Yuu liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Seeing as it is inevitable, seemingly, what does it matter what I think of it?
    It can affect the quality of the living experience.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

Such an old thread, I have almost no recollection. Terror management theory is the inevitable need tho @SpankyMcFly
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes SpankyMcFly liked this post

If it's going to come, let it come.

Level 8 Propaganda Bot SpankyMcFly's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

@highlander

The Worm at the Core: On the Role of Death in Life

The Worm at the Core: On the Role of Death in Life: Sheldon Solomon, Jeff Greenberg, Tom Pyszczynski: 9781400067473: Amazon.com: Books

"A transformative, fascinating theory—based on robust and groundbreaking experimental research—reveals how our unconscious fear of death powers almost everything we do, shining a light on the hidden motives that drive human behavior

More than one hundred years ago, the American philosopher William James dubbed the knowledge that we must die “the worm at the core” of the human condition. In 1974, cultural anthropologist Ernest Becker won the Pulitzer Prize for his book The Denial of Death, arguing that the terror of death has a pervasive effect on human affairs. Now authors Sheldon Solomon, Jeff Greenberg, and Tom Pyszczynski clarify with wide-ranging evidence the many ways the worm at the core guides our thoughts and actions, from the great art we create to the devastating wars we wage.

The Worm at the Core is the product of twenty-five years of in-depth research. Drawing from innovative experiments conducted around the globe, Solomon, Greenberg, and Pyszczynski show conclusively that the fear of death and the desire to transcend it inspire us to buy expensive cars, crave fame, put our health at risk, and disguise our animal nature. The fear of death can also prompt judges to dole out harsher punishments, make children react negatively to people different from themselves, and inflame intolerance and violence.

But the worm at the core need not consume us. Emerging from their research is a unique and compelling approach to these deeply existential issues: terror management theory. TMT proposes that human culture infuses our lives with order, stability, significance, and purpose, and these anchors enable us to function moment to moment without becoming overwhelmed by the knowledge of our ultimate fate. The authors immerse us in a new way of understanding human evolution, child development, history, religion, art, science, mental health, war, and politics in the twenty-first century. In so doing, they also reveal how we can better come to terms with death and learn to lead lives of courage, creativity, and compassion.

Written in an accessible, jargon-free style, The Worm at the Core offers a compelling new paradigm for understanding the choices we make in life—and a pathway toward divesting ourselves of the cultural and personal illusions that keep us from accepting the end that awaits us all."

Praise for The Worm at the Core

“The idea that nearly all human individual and cultural activity is a response to death sounds far-fetched. But the evidence the authors present is compelling and does a great deal to address many otherwise intractable mysteries of human behaviour. This is an important, superbly readable and potentially life-changing book.”—The Guardian (U.K.)
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... Some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age. " - H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Abendrot, Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I'd fight for my life if a life/death situation came, but I'm not afraid of death and accept it. Ironically, I'll grieve over a breakup but I don't grieve over people's death. I wrote a poem the other day, actually:

a thought crossed my mind;
    if i died right now,
    i’d die alone,
    and i wouldn’t mind.
    My avatar says: "The man cocked his head and laughed."
    Drawn by a fellow of the [user]name of azrienoch.

Default Death and the Internet

For the literate individual death, like life, is private, and so the literate individual and their culture hide death away.

However for the new electronic tribes privacy is over. And there is no need to hide death away.

So dying and death are becoming public events. Timothy Leary led the way by dying on the internet in 1995, click on Conversations/Timothy Leary - At Death's Door, the Message Is Tune In, Turn On, Drop In - NYTimes.com

We tried to introduce a death bed to our Students' Association in 1975, cared for by students, but we were ahead of our time and failed.

I don't want to die in private alone, I want to die on the internet.

My death on the internet will mark the death of the literate individual and the rise of the electronic tribe.

I look forward to dying with you.
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

I don't wanna

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Contrary to 5 years ago. My first thought upon reading this thread is definately not me being worried, thinking I don't want to die.

Not that I want to die, an immortal life sounds rather appealing to me. But it seems I care less about the topic now than I did 5 years ago.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf