• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What ideas do you believe are innate?

• Total voters

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi

As in, what ideas do you believe we are born knowing before we even experience anything in the world?

Some options….

a sense of causality (time and space)
basic emotions such as, disgust, surprise, fear, etc.
avoidance of hazards (heights, disease, etc.)
face perception
how to acquire spoken language
notion of good and evil
notion of fairness
notion of altruism (concern for the needs of others)
notion of God(s)
notion of a soul
notion of ethical truths
a desire to “subjugate or be subjugated”
mathematical truisms (obvious mathematical truths)
logical truisms (obvious logical truths)
identity perceptions (archetypes)

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
Genetic. Rather simple animals clearly exhibit these as well. Everyone has seen an ant, a roach or a housefly fleeing in panic.

Even insects avoid hazards.

face perception
I voted for this, but I'm actually not sure anymore... :D This could be must-be-learned. But, well, babies recognise :) and :( very early. Maybe it depends on the expression and how subtle it is.

notion of good and evil
About the same things are considered moral or immoral in different cultures (lying, killing, stealing, adultery...) even when they haven't been in any contact with each other. There are, of course, some exceptions, like cannibalism that is actually normally avoided by most animals.

notion of fairness
Animals exhibit this. I have seen countless and countless times a horse demanding justice by neighing, snorting and stomping in pure ANGER as his neighbor gets his daily hay but he doesn't :)

I don't think so. I... I just don't think so. (I blame my iNtuition for this!)

notion of God(s)
I think so, yes. All cultures do have and have always had gods and religion. Today's religions are money, science, careers and so on.

I've read that horses, dogs and cats can naturally count somehow like "one, two, three, four, five, a lot".

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Hm, nice question.
The fascinating thing would not be the general concensus but to see who answers what. S vs N and F vs. T...

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
innate. from latin, "innatus'---meaning inborn.

So basic emotions hardwired into biology and instinct:

lust, fear, avarice, envy. (purified, you get their counterthesis, which arguably, is learnt behaviour:

love, courage, selflessness, compassion.)

As well, the ideal of beauty: it's been found that newborn babies instinctively reach for symmetrical faces; and that symmetry is the ideal of beauty across cultures. The Golden Ratio in art exemplifies this.

Anything to do with sex and survival, essentially. which are the same things. sex for survival of the species; self survival for continuation of the individual.

The God instinct is a tricky one. Arguable that only those who have desires, have need of God. (what do most people pray for, after all. "world peace"?)

i.e., the inability to centre oneself by oneself leads to seeking for external 'spiritual'
help. Which is self affirmation by external means, really. Which is a survival instinct, since if you cannot feel good about yourself, it leads to the thanatos instinct taking over physis.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
... and for once, nozflubber makes a comment that is almost friendly :D

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP

As in, what ideas do you believe we are born knowing before we even experience anything in the world?

We're born ignorant. What's up? I thought you were a die-hard empiricist?!

However, despite this, I did vote for logical truths and basic emotions because I think they are essential to human nature; we can deny them, but we cannot avoid them. (Other options on your list are essential to human nature too, but they depend on these two properties.)

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj

Answering in universally understood symbolic ideas...

a sense of causality (time and space) :dont:
basic emotions such as, disgust, surprise, fear, etc. :yes:
avoidance of hazards (heights, disease, etc.) :dont:
face perception :yes:
how to acquire spoken language :unsure:
notion of good and evil :dont:
notion of fairness :dont:
notion of altruism (concern for the needs of others) :dont:
notion of God(s) :rolli: :dont:
notion of a soul :rolli::dont:
notion of ethical truths :dont:
a desire to "subjugate or be subjugated" :dont:
mathematical truisms (obvious mathematical truths) :rolli: :dont:
logical truisms (obvious logical truths) :dont:
identity perceptions :yes: (archetypes) :dont:

The only thing that can possibly be innate would be those consistently demonstrated by infants and ideas universally believed and understood by all regardless of culture.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I voted for "time and space" because it most closely matched my answer: "me" and "you".

I didn't vote for survival instinct because of Jackass and Johnny Knoxville. lol

I didn't vote for emotions or soul because even if you "felt" their presence, you might not have a quantitative name for it or the ability to label them. (How would you know what "fear" was beyond the feeling of it if someone didn't tell you "Oh that sensation in your stomach when those trilobites dragged you into a primordial ooze pool and stuck kelp up your nose, that wasn't hysterical hunger. That was fear.")

I didn't vote for God because I think that people DO have a sense of the numinous, but can't point a finger directly AT the source, regardless of their spiritual perceptions.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I didn't vote for survival instinct because of Jackass and Johnny Knoxville.
oh cmon on be fair! it's funny shit, because voluntary stupidity can overcome instincts. Plus they're professional stunt performers, so even though it hurts to watch, they're not ever in any more danger than walking down the street at night

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh cmon on be fair! it's funny shit, because voluntary stupidity can overcome instincts. Plus they're professional stunt performers, so even though it hurts to watch, they're not ever in any more danger than walking down the street at night

:D I never said it wasn't fun to watch!

And I'm a J. We don't do "fair". :cool: ;)

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP

I'll note that some of the ones that I voted yes on, I don't necessarily believe are innate at birth, but are innately inevitable during various stages of growth and development (yeah, so it's a nitpick...)

a sense of causality (time and space) - yes: the basis for understanding cause and effect

basic emotions such as, disgust, surprise, fear, etc. yes, with qualifications: yes on fear, yes on surprise, no on disgust. Not necessarily innate are what triggers those emotions, but the ability to experience those emotions themselves.

face perception - yes. Again, not necessarily what individual expressions mean, but I do believe that we have an innate ability to recognize facial patterns with a high degree of accuracy.

how to acquire spoken language - yes: I'm not aware of any non-linguistic cultures.. ever.

I don't think any of the others are innate. Popular, maybe, but not innate. One I think could be added to the list is a desire to explain the unknown - of which several of the other options tend to grow out of (but not in everyone).

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I tried posting this the other day, but the forum was no workie.

---

Based on my understanding of neurobiology, neuropharmacology, and fetal/child development, I would say that nothing is guaranteed to be innate.

Causality depends on subject-object awareness. In as much as other aspects of conscious awareness are possible in the human being, subject-object awareness is but one aspect of their presentation, and not all people have subject-object awareness itself.

The development of the basic emotions is certainly low-level in terms of neural pathways and limbic development, but not all people have these functions, and they develop after birth.

The neonate has no awareness of hazards, but learns them in time via pleasure-pain feedback.

Certain aspects of the physical structure of the optic system and brain topology facilitate facial recognition, but this is a developed response that occurs over time.

All the rest are things learned, not things innate. We may have a tendency toward their development based on our presentation - sensory, emotional, cognitive, and otherwise - but they are all things that we learn.

We are tabula rasa, so to speak. Many things shape and guide our development, and we perhaps have much potential, but at birth we are as blank slates neurologically.

cheers,
Ian

Kiddo

Furry Critter with Claws
MBTI Type
OMNi
We are tabula rasa, so to speak. Many things shape and guide our development, and we perhaps have much potential, but at birth we are as blank slates neurologically.

So that would mean you embrace both the empiricist view of tabula rasa and modularity of mind theory?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I assume you are referring to an average (mode) human fetus with 9 months of development. The ones I voted for are:

a sense of causality (time and space) - I believe this is linked to our perception regardless of whether or not this is how the physical universe actually operates.

basic emotions such as, disgust, surprise, fear, etc. - Yes, that comes with having a cerebellum.

how to acquire spoken language - Most people learn the language of their culture, so yes.

notion of God(s) - In the sense of a specific deity (e.g. Yahweh) I would say no, but simply having a vague sense of the supernatural I would say yes. Part of believing in the divine is being filled with a sense of awe and wonder about the mysteries of the universe, and I believe that infants have the rest of us beat in that sense.

mathematical truisms (obvious mathematical truths) - The reflexive property is a mathematical truism, and I can't conceive any rational being not having a sense of the reflexive property on an intuitive level.

logical truisms (obvious logical truths) - Same as mathematical truths.

identity perceptions (archetypes) - I'm not entirely sure on this one, but I lean toward yes.

placebo

MBTI Type
INFP
Well I can't say my opinion would mean much since I barely understand the concepts of... these words... but I think it's interesting input anyway for anyone who wants to see what an INFP might believe??? :(

YES INNATE
a sense of causality (time and space)
logical truisms (obvious logical truths)
identity perceptions (archetypes)

YES INNATE, MAY BE 'LOST' :huh:?
face perception
how to acquire spoken language
notion of a soul -- (in a sense. I think we are born believing in the dualism of mind and body, in a sense, a soul)
a desire to subjugate or be subjugated

NO INNATE
face perception
notion of good and evil
notion of fairness
notion of God(s)

By some things being 'innate' I believe they are necessary for our existing in reality as humans and are things that are in our human programming, DNA. By some things being 'lost' I believe they are abilities or beliefs that we may lose awareness of this or devalue it through development. Not sure if that point makes sense. By some things not being innate I mean they are concepts acquired by growth and socialization.

I may be very confused.

But I think this type of question also relates to whether people believe in an ultimate truth/good or if they believe that everything depends on the environment/society we are in and things are created that way and many things are relative to each other in that case.

I had to rewrite this last part so now I'm even more confusedish on my points.

Last edited:

aeon

Potoumchka
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
So that would mean you embrace the empiricist view of tabula rasa...

No, as I do not think human awareness and experience are limited to the senses, as empiricism states.

So that would mean you embrace modularity of mind theory?

No. I think it would be more accurate to say I value the idea of neuroplasticity.

cheers,
Ian