User Tag List

First 56789 Last

The greatest evil is to hurt babies and children. The greatest good is to help people be stong(er)

The greatest evil is this sub at my local restaurant called the "inferno chicken." Whats even more funny is that it is listed under number "2" under their sub menu category.

The greatest good is love (I don't mean the romantic kind necessarily) & empathy, as cheesy as that sounds.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    I know that I have a tendency to make leaps between thoughts without regard for how I got there. If there is something I said that you find muddled or confusing, I would be happy to clarify. Is there a particular reason that you find what I said unreasonable?

I'm not entirely certain what the rest of your post is trying to get at. Are you saying that you think that good and evil are governed by physical laws like gravity?
    I am suggesting that there does exist an objective reality and part of that objective reality is objective good and evil, they are no more inventions or subjective judgements than the physical laws you mention.

Personally I find a lot of the secularist, atheistic and liberal opinions I read on this forum to be what I would consider "younger" thinking.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Oz is informed by the utilitarian philosopher Jeremy Bentham, in fact I live just down the road from Bentham Street. So the working philosophy of Australia is utilitarianism, and the slogan of utilitarianism is, "The greatest good for the greatest number".

And to a degree, with the early introduction of the welfare State, Australia does aim for the greatest good for the greatest number.

Some claim this is a pedestrian aim, while others point out it avoids utopianism.

Still, it has led to a modern welfare State marked by egalitarianism, mate.
    I know what it is and were it comes from.

Although I'm not sure about it. What if the greatest good of the greatest number involves persecuting a minority? From a certain perspective the Nazis were pretty utilitarian.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Turtledove View Post
    You were relieved of doing the job through the use of hemorrhoid creams (or quitting,) I hope.
    TBH, My then G/F got me the job; she worked there, went up to her boss 'and since she is just like Wow 'Future Prime Minister Material' and said
    "You see that boy there?"
    Pointing at me,
    "can he have a job please?"
    They saw me, I passed the interview and they hired me.
    She lived in North London, I'm in South, the commute was 24 miles or something stupid like that and, I use public transport; I used her address when getting the job, or my own, but said I'd be staying with her because she lived much closer. I was fired from that job, I was fired for being late too many times in row, I had a 6 hour commute (there and home), I was only there for over a month, if that.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Torturing animals or innocent people. Anyone who knowingly and sadistically tortures any living thing, willfully, is being evil. There is no practical excuse for it. It's not because you're hungry (stealing), or because you're scared (lying), or because you have physical needs (lust), or because you're upset (anger)...it's just evil, pure and simple.

And I believe this applies to adults as well as children, I'm always baffled by people who put children above everything, although I do like children, give me a fucking break. It doesn't mean it's okay to torture innocent adults.

The greatest good is unbridled trust, love and generosity.

ETA: No, I agree with @wolfy that helping people to be strong(er) is the greatest good. Which can involve love trust and generosity, but teaching people to toughen up and be able to take care of themselves is also exceedingly important for not only that person, but for everyone.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Well... what do you believe it is?
    Pop culture, without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    And conversely, what is 'the greatest good'?
    Egoists committing to an altruistic cause.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

The greatest evil? Mk. 2

Spamming and trolling, idk.

I feel evil,

I digress.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

*rolls eyes at thread*

The greatest good is freedom of speech!

The greatest evil is as well? :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sx

There's different levels to this.
    Can we describe a universal evil and good? I'm not sure, I suppose all I can think of is anything that promotes stasis is evil and anything that promotes change is good. But without intent can we call anything good or evil? I don't think so, but I don't think it's really worth looking into at this point.
    We can lower our view to lifeforms, that which propagates life is good that which kills it is bad sounds good on paper, but what about that which propagates life that will inevitably destroy all life?
    I can't define morality on anything above or below the human societal level, that which enhances the longevity, wellbeing and happiness of humanity is good, and that which does the opposite is bad.
    However, I can use my longest-term objective for life itself within my philosophy to establish another criteria that can apply up and down the various views of the universe.
    That which may prevent the end of the universe, either by itself or by being a step in a path to something that directly can is good. That which prevents these things is bad.
    I suppose ultimately, evil = stasis/death, good = change/life.
    A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.