User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Well... what do you believe it is?

And conversely, what is 'the greatest good'?
    I don't know, and don't think anyone really can know.

Besides that... all's fair in love and war.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think the greatest evil is objectifying others, making individuals means to your own ends and not respecting or treating them as sacred and an end in themselves.

I see this behaviour as specifically associated in its worst incarnations with killing hope and causing despair, this is the action of every sadistic bully who I've ever known and what they take the most joy in. It is also the motif force in most predatory and exploitative behaviour, dominating, controlling and manipulating others, objectifying them and dehumanising them, sometimes compelling them to a fatalistic acceptance of whatever their predatory and exploitative imagination can come up with.

The greatest good, I believe, can be worded in a number of ways, to walk the earth and know that God is God, to love others as you love thyself, to love God and love your neighbour, it all means the same thing, which is something which eludes a great many people and always will but is particularly impossible for those who can not assail or transcend their emotive reaction to particular words such as God, and it is all the opposite of the greatest evil.
    This is a good response.

The greatest evil is genocide.

And the greatest good for the greatest number is the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    2 so/sx

People without conscience.

Especially if they derive pleasure from causing pain (we meet those people every day).

Most people disappoint me in such situations when they either don't recognize what kind of person they are dealing with or choose to ignore them.

The official term for such people is "jerks".

Unfortunately many get into management and then everybody is too afraid to do anything.

Disclaimer: I am sorry I am avoiding the flame war. I do it on purpose.

MBTI
    GONE

Default Thread Split

Mod Note:

Um, that force of nature that blew through has blown all the way to graveyard here

Sorry good citizens for the massive derail.

Carry on

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Dont you think that harm and benefice are just other words for evil and good? It seems like semantics to me, the semantics of those afraid of making judgements or being associated with traditional judgement.
    'Good' and 'evil' are loaded terms. There's the implication behind them of supernaturailty, a kind of simplified version of how the world works where everything is black and white based on some cosmic force. There's also this strange concept which I reject, that a thing can be 'good' or evil' in and of itself, a kind of circular thought that allows for harmless things to be considered 'evil' and harmful ones to be considered 'good.' For example, consider how many people find marijuana to be either 'good' or 'evil,' despite the plant's utter lack of sentience and objective, measurable methods to measure any harm or benefits that might come from it.

I guess what it is that I really reject is the idea that 'good' and 'evil' can be separated from harm and benefits and still have any objective meaning. From there, in my mind objective meaning really only comes from the harm and benefits, and you might as well just cut out the loaded terms altogether.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

The greatest evil: The Love of money

The greatest good: To see people, and meet their needs. Perhaps also, to lay down one's life for one's friend(s).
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

The greatest evil: my step mother
    The greatest good: stuffed crust cheese pizza
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The greatest evil is genocide.

And the greatest good for the greatest number is the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries.
    Before the enlightenment there was atrocity but there wasnt genocide, modernism and modern technics made genocide possible.

Why does numbers influence the greatest good?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    'Good' and 'evil' are loaded terms. There's the implication behind them of supernaturailty, a kind of simplified version of how the world works where everything is black and white based on some cosmic force. There's also this strange concept which I reject, that a thing can be 'good' or evil' in and of itself, a kind of circular thought that allows for harmless things to be considered 'evil' and harmful ones to be considered 'good.' For example, consider how many people find marijuana to be either 'good' or 'evil,' despite the plant's utter lack of sentience and objective, measurable methods to measure any harm or benefits that might come from it.

I guess what it is that I really reject is the idea that 'good' and 'evil' can be separated from harm and benefits and still have any objective meaning. From there, in my mind objective meaning really only comes from the harm and benefits, and you might as well just cut out the loaded terms altogether.
    That just appears confused and born more of a desire to reject something than make a really reasonable point.

The reality is that there is an ordered cosmos besides mankinds recognition or consideration of it, gravity remains gravity whether it is so called or comprehended by man, it is not an invention of man or imagined by man or subjectively judged by man.

Within that ordered cosmos there are a lot of objective realities, including good and evil.

I believe that God does exist and that this is the supernatural cosmic force you mention, it causes no problem for me, although its possible to know that there is such a thing objectively as right and wrong, good and evil without requiring God's existence to know it is so.