123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Be sure of this, your sin will find you out

http://bible.cc/numbers/32-23.htm

What do you think of this saying, "be sure of this, your sin will find you out"?

Wisdom is perrenial but there is much which is being dumped or forgotten about.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's valid enough, but less terrifying if sins are subjective.

Or more terrifying actually for most people, since they'll be found out by all sorts of implanted guilts.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I think it has something to say about transparency in your dealings with others and makes me think of the film about Thomas Moore, A Man For All Seasons.

I dont really think that sins are subjective, although I tend to think of sin as a concept closely related to consequentialism.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

I think it has something to do with karma. The verse doesn't go into any philosophy just a statement saying " Sin against the LORD: your sin will find you out". Not much depth, maybe the writer shouldve gone in more detail. From what it looks like i am being scared into obeying the lord
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    I think it has something to do with karma. The verse doesn't go into any philosophy just a statement saying " Sin against the LORD: your sin will find you out". Not much depth, maybe the writer shouldve gone in more detail. From what it looks like i am being scared into obeying the lord
    There's a lot of context provided by the rest of the book, this is just one line, I dont read at all the import which you have found there.

Even if I was to freak about mention of Lord or God I would quickly recall that earlier in the book it says that each and everyone of us is made in the image of the lord or God and therefore it could mean sin against others or yourself.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sx

I agree. Sin follows you.
    I don't think I have the same list of sins that Lark does, but we can both agree, they catch up. And if they don't catch up to you, they'll catch up to your children or those around you.
    Sin is called sin because it lasts.
    A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions. - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

But what about forgiveness?

I think it means sins will catch up to those who don't care. Who don't have consciousness about their sinning, or, more likely, who don't heed the seriousness of their sinning and make change to live a more sin-free life.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    http://bible.cc/numbers/32-23.htm

What do you think of this saying, "be sure of this, your sin will find you out"?

Wisdom is perrenial but there is much which is being dumped or forgotten about.
    Most likely the people who wrote that intended to scare the common people into obeying the rules, or to make them worry about being found out so much that they reveal themselves after committing an offense.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Most likely the people who wrote that intended to scare the common people into obeying the rules, or to make them worry about being found out so much that they reveal themselves after committing an offense.
    Really? People do that a lot? Try to scare the common people? Do you hear yourself?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Really? People do that a lot? Try to scare the common people? Do you hear yourself?
    Leaders of the community do, sure. Scaring people with fire and brimstone is just an extension of deterrence. Regardless of whether you agree that it works, certainly it is a common strategy to get people to follow the laws.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deterrence_(legal))
    -end of thread-