• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Life is pointless

siltha

Life is a chemical process that happened as accident billions of years ago. Life doesn’t have an intelligent creator, it’s all blind and crude forces of the nature creating all forms of life we know. It’s mere product of random chance, it’s impossible for it to have any meaning.

All our feelings are just mechanisms of gene machines that serve as motivations to make us exist long enough to allow a DNA molecule to make one more copy of itself. But allowing this DNA molecule to replicate itself infinitely is absolutely pointless.

We can do what we want but we can’t choose to want what we want. As robots of genes we are biased and prejudiced towards life in a way to keep surviving and reproducing irrationally. We are slaves of a senseless will to live.

Why don’t we choose to think of our biases and prejudices and try to overcome them? Why not to overcome this life?

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Philosophy 101 is down the hall, second door on the right.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Wow, all my life I've been looking for answers to life's questions. It came to me on a warm, May afternoon in the form of a user on TypoC by the name of "siltha". Enlightenment, I have found thee! Now, where's the nearest bridge?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
all-seeing-eye.jpg

Permabanned
Life is a chemical process that happened as accident billions of years ago. Life doesn’t have an intelligent creator, it’s all blind and crude forces of the nature creating all forms of life we know. It’s mere product of random chance, it’s impossible for it to have any meaning.

All our feelings are just mechanisms of gene machines that serve as motivations to make us exist long enough to allow a DNA molecule to make one more copy of itself. But allowing this DNA molecule to replicate itself infinitely is absolutely pointless.

We can do what we want but we can’t choose to want what we want. As robots of genes we are biased and prejudiced towards life in a way to keep surviving and reproducing irrationally. We are slaves of a senseless will to live.

Why don’t we choose to think of our biases and prejudices and try to overcome them? Why not to overcome this life?

Without said irrationally biased drive for perpetual survival, aka Life, you wouldn't have had the opportunity to contemplate on and make this post. Yw. :nerd:

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

You're right. Life is pointless. It's like an immortal being forced to push a boulder up a mountain for all eternity. Nothing can change those conditions, the boulder must be pushed up a mountain that never ends.

But you still have a choice

1. You can push the boulder up the mountain while bitching and complaining, hating everything and doing it expressing all the suffering and pain

2. Make boulder pushing your passion. To study the rock face, to be more efficient at pushing it, noticing all the details and becoming ever better at it and finding the joy in the activities you cannot escape.

If you choose #1, you will die while creating hell for yourself
If you choose #2, you will die while creating heaven for yourself

The simply formula for #2 is
A) work
B) consume
c) invest

provided that work > consumption and investing feeds back into work.

This is the truth of it.

It is pointless to lament the things you cannot change. Life is contained in the things which are in your power to change.

Enjoy.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
That's one hell of an introduction [MENTION=15777]siltha[/MENTION]. :p

Can you at least add 1 smiley face when you post your official arrival in the 'welcome and introductions' sub forum?

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
That's one hell of an introduction [MENTION=15777]siltha[/MENTION]. :p

Can you at least add 1 smiley face when you post your official arrival in the 'welcome and introductions' sub forum?
I kind of liked his approach. Although the likeliness of his return doesn't sound promising.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're right. Life is pointless. It's like an immortal being forced to push a boulder up a mountain for all eternity. Nothing can change those conditions, the boulder must be pushed up a mountain that never ends.

But you still have a choice

1. You can push the boulder up the mountain while bitching and complaining, hating everything and doing it expressing all the suffering and pain

2. Make boulder pushing your passion. To study the rock face, to be more efficient at pushing it, noticing all the details and becoming ever better at it and finding the joy in the activities you cannot escape.

If you choose #1, you will die while creating hell for yourself
If you choose #2, you will die while creating heaven for yourself

The simply formula for #2 is
A) work
B) consume
c) invest

provided that work > consumption and investing feeds back into work.

This is the truth of it.

It is pointless to lament the things you cannot change. Life is contained in the things which are in your power to change.

Enjoy.

^That's why it sounded so familiar :)

[MENTION=15777]siltha[/MENTION] Juice is right, this forum is not equipped to attend personal psychological emergencies. Please do seek professional help if this is more than a purely academic question to you!

As for the supposed pointlessness: So what? Why do you assume that there has to be a higher purpose for life to be worth living? Isn't life enough of a reward in itself? The fact that we are agglomerations of cells with selfish genes driving us to live and reproduce doesn't imply it is undignified (whatever that means). At least to me that would be a misapplication of concepts such as "purpose" or "dignity!. If you want to strive for something higher, you can create works of art, you can impact the world around you and make it more beautiful, or more just, you can be a positive influence on others. That itself should be enough reason to continue. If that isn't good enough for you, I would say that it is false values and false expectations that cause your unhappiness. Why do you assume that being a lumb of matter is bad? Why do you assume that being steered by instincts, by genes, etc is bad? Why do you assume that there has to be a higher purpose, an end to it all? You might want to question the assumptions on which you base your frustration!!!

R

RDF

Life is a chemical process that happened as accident billions of years ago. Life doesn’t have an intelligent creator, it’s all blind and crude forces of the nature creating all forms of life we know. It’s mere product of random chance, it’s impossible for it to have any meaning. [...]

I think it’s precisely the pointlessness of life that makes life fun and worth living. If life were to have one single clear and universally-agreed purpose (above and beyond mere reproduction), then we would all have to spend our lives working and straining toward that one goal, like beasts of burden.

But with no clearly-defined purpose, life becomes more like a sandbox-style video game. Have fun with it, explore, travel, try new things. The pointlessness of life takes the pressure off and permits us to take risks and have fun.

siltha

I am perfectly normal, I am not a desperate suicidal guy. I just wanted to start a rational discussion about life.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

What are the qualities that make something meaningful?

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not too sure. There are many complexities to the matter that arise from becoming content on the fact that life is pointless.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

That may be true but I happen to enjoy life and want to make the most of my time on this planet. You make your own meaning in life.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
You make your own meaning in life.

Precisely. Be it one of misery or of joy, the choice is up to the individual. Though, I don't deny that there are emotional/psychological factors for some that will make the pursuit of happiness a far harder feat.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
life might be pointless, but at least i can eat chocolate and all the pointlessness in the world doesn't change that fact.