User Tag List

First 4567 Last

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Life is pointless when viewed from a rational perspective which, important as it is, leaves out more than it includes. On that basis, there is necessarily more to be known than reason permits. Life has no utility, or purpose beyond its own selfish survival. And yet so much of life is full of beauty and joy that cannot be understood from that perspective. So maybe what @siltha needs is to radically change his perspective to include consideration of the existence of beauty and joy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by siltha View Post
    I don’t know how someone can reconcile with the illusion of life. Few years ago when I became atheist I was very depressed because I had found out that god was an illusion. When I was Christian I believed that there was a god taking care of me, he was helping in the battles of life and was preparing for me an eternity of unaltered bliss and joy. As I was very depressed a friend of mine asked what benefit I had from being an atheist and if believing that god exists makes me happy that’s what I should do. I told my friend it wasn’t a matter of being benefited or not I had discovered that God didn’t exist and I just couldn’t reconcile with an illusion. As an analogy, how can one reconcile with the illusion of life? How can one sacrifice the truth to live a funny illusion? Is it preferable to live an illusion if it makes you happy?
    Ahhhhhhhh, you left out that vital piece of information. This explains a lot!

You were raised with a daily dosis of candy and now that you have decided to live on fruits and vegetables alone, you suffer from sugar withdrawel.

Had you started out as an atheist rather than falling from faith, you would not be disappointed by this discovery. You would see nothing wrong or undignified about it, not miss that warmth of religion at all and happily go about your life, probably basing it on secular humanistic principles. The alternative to religion does not have to be cold materialist nihilism. You have simply been conditioned to believe that.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Life is like an blank sheet of paper. The choices you make everyday is like what you write or draw or paint on that blank sheet of paper.

If you say the blank sheet of paper is meaningless, of course it is meaningless because its blank.

What you speak of is a form of fatalism and nihilism. I think you should visit a psychologist.
    The drive to exist is what makes us human.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Sorry, but the answers would still be subjective. We're doomed.
    no. I'm pretty sure the powers that be already answered those questions
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by siltha View Post
    It’s not about enjoyment but enlightenment. What really matters is to overcome our biases, prejudices and dispel our illusions for enlightenment.
    If it is all meaningless, why would enlightenment trump enjoyment?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

It's about epistemology or how we know.

For instance, if we know through literacy, we know through a point of view. So we unconsciously make the distinction between the point and pointless. So some know the point of life and some know it is pointless.

On the other hand, if we know through the telegraph, the telephone, radio, television and the internet, we know through the shared feelings of the electronic tribe. So we make the distinction between with it and without it. So some are with our shared feelings and some are out of our shared feelings.

So to say, "Life is pointless", is to reveal we are literate - that's all.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I guess it is a characteristic of the weak-willed, upon learning of their own impotence, to choose to whine instead of celebrate.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    You were raised with a daily dosis of candy and now that you have decided to live on fruits and vegetables alone, you suffer from sugar withdrawel.

Had you started out as an atheist rather than falling from faith, you would not be disappointed by this discovery. You would see nothing wrong or undignified about it, not miss that warmth of religion at all and happily go about your life, probably basing it on secular humanistic principles. The alternative to religion does not have to be cold materialist nihilism. You have simply been conditioned to believe that.
    This may be true for some people, for example, "me," as my parents were indifferent to religion and never imposed this stuff on me. And so I never had that "sugar withdrawel" (I like that analogy btw). However, I came across someone, a long time ago, who used to complain about how her parents never instilled any religious belief on to her. She said that she would've benefited from it, that it would've given her some structure and guidance in life. I like @Victor's point of view...I think. Problem is I'm not sure if I'm interpreting what he is saying, correctly, half the time.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    However, I came across someone, a long time ago, who used to complain about how her parents never instilled any religious belief on to her. She said that she would've benefited from it, that it would've given her some structure and guidance in life.
    Moral weakling.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I guess it can help, but at some point one has to take charge of her own life and create her own structure and/or direction.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft