• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who is your favorite philosopher?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Gayatri Spivak, Franz Fanon, Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault, Edward Said, Judith Butler, ANDREA FREAKING DWORKIN!!!

etc.

:rock:

PS I am kidding about 1-6 of the above

Mole

Permabanned
I read, "Doonesbury", everyday because it is not so much a comic as a guide to life.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
Probably Kierkegaard.

But that's just because I like how he doesn't try to build any first philosophies or whatever and just plays around with values.

Nietzsche is great too but preachy. Not as much fun to read.

Lark

Gayatri Spivak, Franz Fanon, Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault, Edward Said, Judith Butler, ANDREA FREAKING DWORKIN!!!

etc.

:rock:

PS I am kidding about 1-6 of the above

Really?

Oh I just saw your tag, although still surprised at Dworkin.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty sure he's a lecturer in Derry, Northern Ireland.
From Official Publisher Page:
Michael Foley was born in Derry, Northern Ireland, but since 1972 he has lived in London, working as a Lecturer in Information Technology. He has published four novels, four collections of poetry and a collection of translations from French poetry,...

Lark

What were you surprised about, assuming therecwas no tag?

When I quoted the post I saw that in white you had provided a tagline saying that you were actually kidding about one to six of the above, I was surprised that you liked Andrea Dworkin's philosophy, what I remember of it is simply that all heterosexual sex is rape. Alienated a lot of heterosexual women from feminism with that one.

I've read some great biographical stuff about Dworkin, a lot of it by her gay husband and close friends, she seems to have been a seriously troubled individual with a very saddening life story or personal history. When the rash of women being doped and raped took place she wrote a story about how she had been a victim of this very thing and I believe that some of her closest confidants and supporters actually had come to doubt that story before she died but didnt say so until after she had died.

It makes me think of Valarie Solanes (spelling), the woman who shot Warhol and wrote the SCUM (society for cutting up men) manifesto. She had an insanely bad life at the hands of just about every man she'd ever known.

Although in both cases I think there's a bit of a problem with them generalising their personal experience to all women, and then everyone, then it getting taken up by people who've never had anything like that kind of experience who give unwary people hell who then go on to give others hell who produce books like those that helped in triggering the whole damn thing. Its something like the "troubles" publishing that used to be popular here in Northern Ireland and which probably did contribute to the trauma which was a strong feature in the troubles reproducing itself, spreading and becoming some how normative.

Anyway, I've read a lot of those books, didnt like them much at the time, dont like them much now, tend to be surprised when people do like them.

Lark

From Official Publisher Page:

You are kidding me, he must be back and forward quite a bit I know a lot of people from Derry who claim to have met him and that he is around there. French poetry? Well, its a bit clearer now why he decided to leave Derry, I can associate all kinds of things with Derry, French poetry isnt one of them though.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You are kidding me, he must be back and forward quite a bit I know a lot of people from Derry who claim to have met him and that he is around there. French poetry? Well, its a bit clearer now why he decided to leave Derry, I can associate all kinds of things with Derry, French poetry isnt one of them though.
You should read Getting Used to Not Being Remarkable. Oozing with French literary /philosophical references. Suppurating. In fact.

Circle

MBTI Type
INFJ
You should read Getting Used to Not Being Remarkable. Oozing with French literary /philosophical references. Suppurating. In fact.

I love that word. Current favorite philosopher is Lao Tzu. Subject to revision.

W

WALMART

Gautama Buddha.

The dogma of Buddhism has helped me overcome my consistent feeling of minimal self worth through acceptance that nothing is a desirable state of being.