• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who is your favorite philosopher?

N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Mine is Arthur Schopenhauer. Being a really bad pessimist and misanthrope, I can relate to him more than any other philosopher. I fell in love with him after reading the short On the Suffering of the World.

I wish I could read his works in German, though :\

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
a/ Maimonides
b/ Bertrand Russell
c/ Aristotle
d/ Diogenes

AgentF

Unlimited Dancemoves ®
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
nice topic.

well...

kant disciplined my mind and nietzsche took an axe to it. theirs were the theories i most enjoyed analyzing and debating in ug/grad school. unfortunately, like people, philosophies start to devolve with enough examination, so in the end i went with mathematical logic.

and in that realm, kurt gödel reigns supreme. :heart:

p.s. the greeks were fun but who wants to be poring over dusty old manuscripts and apocrypha? :irked:

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
alexander putney, nassim haramein, walter russell

LEGERdeMAIN

I liked nietzsche for his almost german-like efficiency(j/k, lololol) and great storytelling, but (Bertrand) Russell and Sartre and R.A. Wilson influenced my worldview the most bestest.

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Rene Descartes.

Why? - Because he proved the most basic of all things.
He came to the conclusion that, if I am here, then there is something somewhere saying that I'm here, so I must exist, because, here I am. I think, therefore I am, or Cogito Ergo Sum.

The human race on occasion needs someone to discover something so basic to give us a kick up the back side and enlighten us... From time to time...

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
some others i like are Leibniz and Spinoza, both definite INTPs

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I like him too^

Have a big soft spot for Schopie. John Stuart Mill is probably my fav tho. Just an exceedingly humane, enlightened individual.

R

Riva

Buddha

[MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION], I'm curious as to who your favourite is, add to it that you study philosophy you must have a good knowledge of many of them and what they said.

I'm confused as to the true definition of the word philosophy. I've read -

Philosophy is Investigation of the nature, causes, or principles of reality, knowledge, or values, based on logical reasoning rather than empirical methods.

So in this regard is Buddhism a philosophy? Or is it a psychotherapy? I'm more comfortable with the word psychotherapy to define it. Because the ultimate result of Buddhism is bliss/happiness. The goal though is Nirvana.

Last edited:

wolfy

awsm
Above all, myself. I've read a lot of Laozi and other Asian philosophy, I think that influenced my thinking a lot.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Above all, myself. I've read a lot of Laozi and other Asian philosophy, I think that influenced my thinking a lot.

On a related note, Zhuangzi is also quite good, I couldn't really pick a "favorite" just a scatter plot of philosophers with interesting ideas.