User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Gayatri Spivak, Franz Fanon, Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault, Edward Said, Judith Butler, ANDREA FREAKING DWORKIN!!!

etc.

PS I am kidding about 1-6 of the above
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Gayatri Spivak, Franz Fanon, Jacques Derrida, Michel Foucault, Edward Said, Judith Butler, ANDREA FREAKING DWORKIN!!!

etc.

LOL
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I don't like philosophers.
    ESTJ

I read, "Doonesbury", everyday because it is not so much a comic as a guide to life.

MBTI
    INTJ

Probably Kierkegaard.

But that's just because I like how he doesn't try to build any first philosophies or whatever and just plays around with values.

Nietzsche is great too but preachy. Not as much fun to read.
    wails from the crypt.

etc.

Really?

Oh I just saw your tag, although still surprised at Dworkin.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Really?

Oh I just saw your tag, although still surprised at Dworkin.
    What were you surprised about, assuming therecwas no tag?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm pretty sure he's a lecturer in Derry, Northern Ireland.
    From Official Publisher Page:
    Michael Foley was born in Derry, Northern Ireland, but since 1972 he has lived in London, working as a Lecturer in Information Technology. He has published four novels, four collections of poetry and a collection of translations from French poetry,...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Hume
    Hegel
    Wittgenstein
    Robbespierre
    Turing
    Feynmann
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

What were you surprised about, assuming therecwas no tag?
    When I quoted the post I saw that in white you had provided a tagline saying that you were actually kidding about one to six of the above, I was surprised that you liked Andrea Dworkin's philosophy, what I remember of it is simply that all heterosexual sex is rape. Alienated a lot of heterosexual women from feminism with that one.

I've read some great biographical stuff about Dworkin, a lot of it by her gay husband and close friends, she seems to have been a seriously troubled individual with a very saddening life story or personal history. When the rash of women being doped and raped took place she wrote a story about how she had been a victim of this very thing and I believe that some of her closest confidants and supporters actually had come to doubt that story before she died but didnt say so until after she had died.

It makes me think of Valarie Solanes (spelling), the woman who shot Warhol and wrote the SCUM (society for cutting up men) manifesto. She had an insanely bad life at the hands of just about every man she'd ever known.

Although in both cases I think there's a bit of a problem with them generalising their personal experience to all women, and then everyone, then it getting taken up by people who've never had anything like that kind of experience who give unwary people hell who then go on to give others hell who produce books like those that helped in triggering the whole damn thing. Its something like the "troubles" publishing that used to be popular here in Northern Ireland and which probably did contribute to the trauma which was a strong feature in the troubles reproducing itself, spreading and becoming some how normative.

Anyway, I've read a lot of those books, didnt like them much at the time, dont like them much now, tend to be surprised when people do like them.