User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Michael Foley at the moment, I dont like a lot of the other popular contemporary philosophers like AC Grayling, Alain de Botan (spelling) and I dont like the atheistic new wave, a lot of what they write does not seem like philosophy at all, there's nothing of the sincere doubts or self scrutiny which exist with other philosophers.

I like Foley because he questions a lot of contemporary or emerging norms and mores without necessarily choosing to treat those which are alternatives as sacrosanct automatically. I dont like a lot of the philosophers which tend to be popular with others, especially Neitzsche, because perhaps in the past their critic was valid but it has in many ways become normative or part of the culture without being recognised as such and then new readers discover it for the first time and believe it has the same validity or relevence as it once did and apply it as though there has been no change or development in between times.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Michael Foley is not a philosopher, he's a poet. (I do love him though... )

I wouldn't class Alain de Botton as a philosopher either, although his writings have a clear philosophical bent. I adore him.

EDIT. Ah, ok. That Michael Foley. Phew. For a moment I thought we'd found a point of agreement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Michael Foley is not a philosopher, he's a poet. (I do love him though... )

I wouldn't class Alain de Botton as a philosopher either, although his writings have a clear philosophical bent. I adore him.

EDIT. Ah, ok. That Michael Foley. Phew. For a moment I thought we'd found a point of agreement.
    His consolations of philosophy was alright if you were unfamiliar with the subject matter, I consider him to be a populariser of philosophy rather than a philosopher but some people following his books on topics such as religion think he's a philosopher, I've read better books in a similar theme released in and around the time he does release his books too.

Yeah, not the Michael Foley you were thinking about the one which writes about the absurd from an existential perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    On a related note, Zhuangzi is also quite good, I couldn't really pick a "favorite" just a scatter plot of philosophers with interesting ideas.
    Yeah, I think it was in Tao: The Watercourse Way that I read about a few of his ideas.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Yeah, not the Michael Foley you were thinking about the one which writes about the absurd from an existential perspective.
    That IS the one I was thinking about....

And he is not a philosopher. Just a delightfully grumpy old geezer.

Pretty sure he teaches IT at the "University" of Westminster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    That IS the one I was thinking about....

And he is not a philosopher. Just a delightfully grumpy old geezer.

Pretty sure he teaches IT at the "University" of Westminster.
    I'm pretty sure he's a lecturer in Derry, Northern Ireland.

I dont really get the grumpy old geezer thing but I do think he's a good social critic and has pointed out the absurdity of a lot of modern conventions and norms. Although I'd not be surprised that a lot of liberals and other progs would want to dismiss his perspective.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Ralph Waldo Emerson for his violent disregard for anything other than self-respect, harmony, and honesty in the most inherent and human of things.
    I N V I C T U S

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I am myself, my own favorite philosopher.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Nicodemus, I'm curious as to who your favourite is
    Schopenhauer. There are others whose ideas are closer to my own, but none for whom I have more respect.

add to it that you study philosophy you must have a good knowledge of many of them and what they said.
    If I do, it is because I have an interest in philosophy, not because I have studied it.

I'm confused as to the true definition of the word philosophy.
    There is none. That is, I suppose, the main reason that what counts as philosophy today is assumed to be part of the same discipline as what counted as philosophy in the 18th century. I believe philosophy is best defined as a form of discourse that concerns itself with texts, ideas, questions that are culturally considered to be philosophical; for there is no quality in things philosophical that marks them as being of one kind - except, perhaps, arguments, but arguments are not exclusive to philosophy.

So in this regard is Buddhism a philosophy? Or is it a psychotherapy? I'm more comfortable with the word psychotherapy to define it. Because the ultimate result of Buddhism is bliss/happiness. The goal though is Nirvana.
    Since there is no accepted definition of 'religion' either, I guess you can claim both that and philosophy for Buddhism.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Schopenhauer. There are others whose ideas are closer to my own, but none for whom I have more respect.
    His philosophy does have a lot of similarities with Buddhism and Jainism. Where does he differ?

Since this is a thread dedicated to philosophy, asking questions solely regarding one of them wouldn't be an issue I suppose.