123 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Default Is life too easy?

Perhaps the reason we feel so many negative feelings in our culture is because from a historical standpoint we have such a plethora of luxurious experiences available to us that we are not being challenged sufficiently to grow and really push ourselves. Perhaps if we put ourselves in more situations where we can be put to our limits on every level in the act of creation we would be happier?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Perhaps the reason we feel so many negative feelings in our culture is because from a historical standpoint we have such a plethora of luxurious experiences available to us that we are not being challenged sufficiently to grow and really push ourselves. Perhaps if we put ourselves in more situations where we can be put to our limits on every level in the act of creation we would be happier?
    I do think man is a frustrated producer rather than a frustrated consumer.

Even when people are actively engaging in some consumer lifestyle or binge they are seeking in a round about to create or produce, an identity or something like it.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

No lark, because that isn't really Ourselves that we are sharing per se. I think we need to share our "soulfulness" to be really happy.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not sure I agree with shaing our soulfullness or whatever-- at least, I am not sure how that is related to life being easy. I do think, though, that life being too easy does cause people to take things for granted and become ill equipped to deal with adversity. Not to mention we have the time/luxury to bitch and moan. So yes, I would say that the ease of life in today's Western society does contribute to some of our problems.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Depends.

I wouldn't say my life has been easy in the least and I've become a pretty well-adjusted, happy person despite it.

I'm not sure the same holds up for everyone, though. There are plenty of people whose lives are shit who are bitter and depressed about it.

But then again, there are plenty of people who have had comparatively fantastic lives who are still bitter and depressed so maybe you have a point. Suffering, in my opinion, is a pretty damn important component of life. Because what challenges a person more than pain and your own livelihood on the line? But with all of the luxuries afforded to us nowadays, suffering's harder and harder to come by.

But maybe you're right: maybe all people need is a challenge. A challenge and some perspective.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Oh, I agree allegorystory. I think we all require a certain level of healthy stress to be happy and periods of rest. I think for each of us it is different. Perhaps that is what is wrong with today's corporate culture, it favors a testosterone laced cognizance that doesn't take into account the totality of human experience necessary for happiness for all (because society has more functions than just producing products/gathering resources).

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Each and every one of us makes life hard or easy for each other. Some people are born into ease or difficulty and others bring it upon themselves with the choices they make.

It is the ultimate fairness of the human race. The fairness of chance.

Doesn't mean we shouldn't right some wrongs though. Personally the whole 'wouldnt it be nice if everyone was nice' is broadly true, although it is better to say "wouldnt it be nice if people were considerate and second guessed their actions and evaluations once in a while."

But of course that doesnt have quite the same ring to it, does it?
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

@Geoff and I used to talk about this. How people are bored and end up feeling down because of it.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

@UniqueMixture
    I watched a movie the other day. One character said to another (slightly paraphrased) "The reason you are so upset by seeing hungry animals is that you've never seen hungry men."

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

No no, not quite true.