First 123 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Perhaps the reason we feel so many negative feelings in our culture is because from a historical standpoint we have such a plethora of luxurious experiences available to us that we are not being challenged sufficiently to grow and really push ourselves. Perhaps if we put ourselves in more situations where we can be put to our limits on every level in the act of creation we would be happier?
    It's true we have a plethora of experiences avaiable to us and I wonder if the overwhelming amount of choice can make people depressed. Are we making the best choice? Why haven't we done X yet? The more we realize what's available to us the easier it is to get depressed is because we are also more aware of all the things we could be doing but haven't done. If we lived further back in time or in a third-world country where we are just trying to literally get by, we wouldn't likely get depressed by this because we probably wouldn't even be aware of such options existing.

Then again, we also have the most choices for growth if we choose to take advantage of them.

Also there are still plenty of people who are living lives in constant adversity which isn't so desirable either.

I think the desirable life is a balance of enjoyment and struggle.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Yeah, I agree. I think for most people the availability of choice overwhelms them until environmental pressure turns them "on" and then they start living. We're all exposed to different stressors, but I think physical activity done over time helps one figure out how to activate their endocrine and adrenal system mentally which allows them to access much larger stores of energy for periods of high activity/combat
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

The OP is is from a middle-class or higher perspective.

MBTI
    MBTI
    Enneagram
    0w0

Perhaps the reason we feel so many negative feelings in our culture is because from a historical standpoint we have such a plethora of luxurious experiences available to us that we are not being challenged sufficiently to grow and really push ourselves. Perhaps if we put ourselves in more situations where we can be put to our limits on every level in the act of creation we would be happier?
    hm.. thats rather contradicting, your statement alone in itself is a challenge, as we must each find our motivation for self development and some, might be motivated by misfortunes.. but im not, ive had my whole life full of them and id have the motivation for self development anyways as it _is_ the only path for happiness, whether you have externally hard or easy life, doesnt make a difference.
    (hm, maybe for pessimists? oh yes, i do have seen pessimists with easy lives.. their so called "problems".. O_O.... "im so depressed!" why? "cause theree raare raperrsrrs in the news!!!" ooo-kkhay.. pessimist finds problems where there are none.)

and i cant see how having permanent injuries which limit living my life like others do is supposed to motivate me any further.

its true, my lack of environmental stimuli has forced me to figure how to enjoy life by other means, but it should still come obvious to everyone how meaningless external concepts are for happiness, as they arent related.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Yes... I've been saying this for a few years now. In Western cultures we live too long and we're too comfortable/safe and people are bored, which means we all just hang around and annoy each other.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Yes... I've been saying this for a few years now. In Western cultures we live too long and we're too comfortable/safe and people are bored, which means we all just hang around and annoy each other.
    How long is too long?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

How long is too long?
    I don't have a source at the moment but I read somewhere that humans were only supposed to live to like 40 or 50.
    This makes sense to me, even though I wouldn't want to die that early.

Also, we haven't really accomplished/invented anything super useful in like 60+ years anyway.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

I agree with 50. It's interesting how I keep running into this sentiment ftom all kinds of places as of late. It'll probably become popularized when I'm 49 : ) )

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

This actually makes a whole lot of sense.

If you live a comfortable life and don't have a certain degree of internal drive or push forward, then you end up stagnant, bored, or depressed.

Certainly explains the general theme of the midlife crisis/rebellious teen years. People just have way too much time on their hands and force themselves to feel miserable.
    1w9 sx/sp
    A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

All that is gold does not glitter
    Not all those who wander are lost

MBTI
    ISTx

I agree.