• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is Love a drug?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What is your opinion? It seems addictive, can have horrible consequences, and ruin a person's life. Conversely it can be ecstatic, wonderful, and be the very reason for being. If you are more prone to expieriment with drugs would you be more prone to experiment with love? That would explain the NF brain lol.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
[YOUTUBE="-6APel4F0l4"]Your love is my drug[/YOUTUBE]

Love definitely causes a change in the chemical balances of the brain, but it's not a specific substance. It does share a lot of traits with the label though.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes it is, of sorts... sex is also... hence S.L.A.A (sex and love addicts anonymous)

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Don't think so.

And what I think you're describing is more akin to limerance, which gives you that "high off of being around a person" thing. But neither register as being drugs to me. They're chemical (hormonal) and physical phenomenons that occur in the brain. A drug is more a substance that triggers those chemical changes and neural activities. So maybe you could say the object of your affection is a drug, but not love itself.

Maybe that's me being pedantic, though. :laugh:

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
^ Limerance was basically going to be my answer as well.. I felt pedantic too. :laugh:

But, no I don't think of Love as a drug.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No, I'm talking about love. Could we and should we biomanufacture humans with more ability to love?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, but if social interaction is derived from physical processes then you have the same problem lol

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Eew falsified love. Gross.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes, because love exists seperate from physical processes just like god

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Ok, but if social interaction is derived from physical processes then you have the same problem lol

Why would this be true? Because you belive that all human things are derived from physical processes, or is there something intrinsic or specific to social interaction that makes it so?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Reality is in conjunction with subatomic particle play. While being able to say that one determines the other is too linear of a way of looking at it it is improbable for it to be removed from the matrix of dynamic holistic processes in which the properties of "physical" objects play with one another.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What is your opinion? It seems addictive, can have horrible consequences, and ruin a person's life. Conversely it can be ecstatic, wonderful, and be the very reason for being. If you are more prone to expieriment with drugs would you be more prone to experiment with love? That would explain the NF brain lol.

Are children drugs?

Are friendships drugs?

I vote no.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Perhaps their pheremones are! Maybe this is why you are more likely to be friends with and mate people who are similar to you. Not on one level like humor or financial status, but on as many levels necessary to make your neural network light up like a christmas tree lol :D. It is real love still, the feeling is still there, you're just more aware of your specific physical triggers that make the feeling sustainable long term

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Love is not a drug, but the pursuit of its mistaken form is addictive. Love is something that wise people do at the expense of their former selves. You may quote me on that.

Myrtle

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Love is not a drug, but the pursuit of its mistaken form is addictive. Love is something that wise people do at the expense of their former selves..

I quoted you on that and now I will copyright it in my autobiography and you may not use it :devil:

I got all warm and fuzzy from that answer I love NFs you just so those feeling based things i would never even think about. It truly warms my central proccesing unit :wubbie:. Which by the way is bad cause now im gonna overheat...

Well, if a drugs definition is a foreign substance that introduced to the body changes perceptions/feelings, is addictive and has severe negative effects then...maybe :D

I mean off cource it can be harmful, you could do some fucked up things from love that you would never do otherwise, whether its for romantic or platonic love it clearly alters my perfection of what moral behavior is, i have managed to control it but damn i could have killed someone if i hadn't more self-control. I certainly felt like it.

It has a worse withdrawal effects then any substance I've personally ever used and I've done pretty much everything asides from heroin and cocaine. Opiates for long periods.

You get high, i can really feel my body firing up all sorts of processes that no drug could get to, sure im not as high on Serration as on ecstasy but it has that natural well-being feeling to it and it lasts alot longer.

usually when talking about illicit substances i use the classification.

Romantic Love
1.Does it change perception/feeling? yes
2. Is it harmful? can be
3. is it physically addictive? Yes (I'm not sure here but anyone thats been heartbroken knows that its not like breaking a gaming habit or a cannabis habit, its more like coming of methadone but worse)

I dont now what love is i just know its very powerful.

If we could genetically engineer people to be more loving induviduals well that's up to God, ME that is :D, but seriously its up to the parents, we shouldent have any centralized enitity doing shit like that.