Thread: Is Love a drug?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Default Is Love a drug?

What is your opinion? It seems addictive, can have horrible consequences, and ruin a person's life. Conversely it can be ecstatic, wonderful, and be the very reason for being. If you are more prone to expieriment with drugs would you be more prone to experiment with love? That would explain the NF brain lol.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    STUF

[YOUTUBE="-6APel4F0l4"]Your love is my drug[/YOUTUBE]

Love definitely causes a change in the chemical balances of the brain, but it's not a specific substance. It does share a lot of traits with the label though.
    Whoops.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yes it is, of sorts... sex is also... hence S.L.A.A (sex and love addicts anonymous)
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Don't think so.

And what I think you're describing is more akin to limerance, which gives you that "high off of being around a person" thing. But neither register as being drugs to me. They're chemical (hormonal) and physical phenomenons that occur in the brain. A drug is more a substance that triggers those chemical changes and neural activities. So maybe you could say the object of your affection is a drug, but not love itself.

Maybe that's me being pedantic, though.

^ Limerance was basically going to be my answer as well.. I felt pedantic too.

But, no I don't think of Love as a drug.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

No, I'm talking about love. Could we and should we biomanufacture humans with more ability to love?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    No, I'm talking about love. Could we and should we biomanufacture humans with more ability to love?
    If you reduce shame, you increase love.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Huh? Lol

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Huh? Lol
    You don't have to genetically engineer anything, just improve relationships and presto more love.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Why not do both?