First 3456 Last

Thread: Survey

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    ...yet, Wittgenstein was an absolutely convinced theist...
    I don't believe this is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I can send you a PM if that's alright and once I get around to it.
    That would be nice. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    I don't believe this is true.
    Alright, its nice you've an opinion on this too.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I can send you a PM if that's alright and once I get around to it.
    Awww.... I think it's pertinent to the thread, and I'm interested too.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Alright, its nice you've an opinion on this too.
    I'm willing to go beyond mere opinion and make a truth claim if it would prompt you to prove that said truth claim is wrong.

Frankly, that question is probably deserving of its own thread, and could actually make for a very interesting discussion.

@Peguy and @Nicodemus, do either of you have an opinion on this matter?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

I sometimes think it is actually easier to be a Christian and believe in God if you haven't been brought up in a Christian environment where your faith has been preached as the one and only truth but if you instead become a believer later in life. I became a Christian after having been brought up in a completely non-religious environment and having an overnight conversion experience at the age of 19. I know that my conversion experience was miraculous and 11 years later I am still a Christian so it has obviously lasted and I will always have that miracle to look back on when I wonder about God and life, no one can take that away from me. It almost feels as if by me having been brought up as an atheist I could start with a clean slate once I converted, I didn't have to fight through all the crap that "church culture" and annoyingly churchy people can instill in you since I had never been exposed to that for the first 19 years of my life. (In contrast I have a Northern Irish friend who has been brought up in church and now has left the faith and is trying to find out what she really believes, to her a lot of the Christian beliefs are just a cultural thing that have been pushed on her as a child.)
    This is a very accurate and insightful post.

I definitely believe in God and an afterlife but was hesitant to tick the "I am religious" box, which I did in the end. To describe yourself as religious in my Christian circles tends to have negative connotations, it means that you are legalistic and follow rules for the sake of following rules instead of trying to have a genuine, sincere relationship with God. But I guess from a non-Christian point of view I am religious since I follow a religion by describing myself as a Christian.
    I like your style.

Why am I not more familiar with you?

Anew Leaf

I am not sure anyone can be "absolutely convinced." That's where the idea of a "leap of faith" comes in.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    My issue is that the churches I know I would not be judged at, I'm rather bored by.

The churches I'm more interested in in terms of the music and other aspects, the more likely that I can't be open about my life with without rejection; and it's also inundated by people who make my skin crawl as soon as I spend ten minutes with them.

Maybe if Mars Hill was around here, I'd give that a shot. When all the conservatives start dumping on Rob Bell, that's a sign his church might be more my style.
    What sort of church have you been looking for? What music are you looking for?

I don't really know anything about Mars Hill. Besides mainline Protestantism and Catholicism, I know very little about the rest of American Christianity. Something on my to-learn list, that I don't really know how to approach. Trying to escape my parents' influence; they tend to be extremely judgmental about people who aren't either Episcopalian, Lutheran, or Methodist. (Or Buddhist, strangely; my mom calls herself an Episcopal-Buddhist hybrid, though much of that is wishful thinking; she doesn't actually practice Buddhism, but she reads a lot of Thich Nhat Hanh. )
    I sometimes think it is actually easier to be a Christian and believe in God if you haven't been brought up in a Christian environment where your faith has been preached as the one and only truth but if you instead become a believer later in life.

It almost feels as if by me having been brought up as an atheist I could start with a clean slate once I converted, I didn't have to fight through all the crap that "church culture" and annoyingly churchy people can instill in you since I had never been exposed to that for the first 19 years of my life.
    This was a great post; it rings true for me, because I am convinced that the only reason why I stayed in the church tradition that I grew up in is that my church (and maybe the denomination as a whole?) is extremely open to ambiguity. The idea was that you could question your religious belief as much as you wanted, and that doing so was perfectly fine, and even preferred over blind, irrational belief. You could stay in the church while questioning absolutely everything. In the words of Robin Williams (another Episcopalian!): "No matter what you believe, there's bound to be another Episcopalian who agrees with you."

The one thing I would add is that, regarding the second part that I quoted in your post, the relative "annoying churchiness" of Christian congregations really depends on where you are, demographically, politically, and denominationally speaking.

Note to the forum: I'm not trying to convert anyone with my posts here, nor do I look down on anyone who believes anything different than what I believe. I'm a very "whatever works for you" kind of person when it comes to religion, or lack thereof.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Peguy and Nicodemus, do either of you have an opinion on this matter?
    I simply don't know whether it's true or not because I have read rather little about his personal life. But if you want an opinion: I really don't care. I don't need his name to make my position more respect- or reasonable. The other side is much needier. If the evidence is ambivalent, Lark may have him.

I sometimes think it is actually easier to be a Christian and believe in God if you haven't been brought up in a Christian environment where your faith has been preached as the one and only truth but if you instead become a believer later in life. I became a Christian after having been brought up in a completely non-religious environment and having an overnight conversion experience at the age of 19. I know that my conversion experience was miraculous and 11 years later I am still a Christian so it has obviously lasted and I will always have that miracle to look back on when I wonder about God and life, no one can take that away from me. It almost feels as if by me having been brought up as an atheist I could start with a clean slate once I converted, I didn't have to fight through all the crap that "church culture" and annoyingly churchy people can instill in you since I had never been exposed to that for the first 19 years of my life. (In contrast I have a Northern Irish friend who has been brought up in church and now has left the faith and is trying to find out what she really believes, to her a lot of the Christian beliefs are just a cultural thing that have been pushed on her as a child.)
    This is a wonderful post, thank you for sharing. My mother (INFJ) had a similar experience, and came to know Jesus at the age of 26. She did not have any family who were Christian. She also experienced it as miraculous, and it indeed was if one understands the previous events in her life and knows her. She is an incredible woman, and has done nothing but grow in faith and become closer to God over the years. I am very blessed to have had her as a mother, and her faith and life experience and passion and compassion were a heavy influence in my life growing up, and still is. She knows what it is like to live without God. Her faith is real and solid and passionate, because she experienced the God of the Bible in a very personal, life-changing, and unpolluted way free of man's perversion and fogging of his image and nature.