First 23456 Last

Thread: Survey

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

My answers were yes and no to both believing in god and an afterlife. I don't view this as inherently contradictory
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

what purpose does this thread cause other than socializing
    1+1=3 OMFG

Believe in a god; no idea about afterlife, hence N/A; not religious.

I am not religious.
    n/a
    n/a
    etc
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Actually, if you "fit into the culture," church can offer a very strong family/community support structure; I think it's one reason why church has continued to thrive in some settings. It's far more than just a "one morning a week" thing.
    I agree with this. The fact that I go to church every Sunday has little to do with the official doctrine -- I mean, I probably believe less than half of the Nicene Creed -- but I have a lot in common with the people there, culturally, and I love the music.
    One of my most difficult aspects of my decision to leave church was losing that network of people, which was useful to me in some ways and also gave me a channel through which to contribute.
    That's a shame. Since then, have you found a new church, with more accepting people? Or did you have any interest in doing so?
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    That's a shame. Since then, have you found a new church, with more accepting people? Or did you have any interest in doing so?
    My issue is that the churches I know I would not be judged at, I'm rather bored by.

The churches I'm more interested in in terms of the music and other aspects, the more likely that I can't be open about my life with without rejection; and it's also inundated by people who make my skin crawl as soon as I spend ten minutes with them.

Maybe if Mars Hill was around here, I'd give that a shot. When all the conservatives start dumping on Rob Bell, that's a sign his church might be more my style.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I definitely believe in God and an afterlife but was hesitant to tick the "I am religious" box, which I did in the end. To describe yourself as religious in my Christian circles tends to have negative connotations, it means that you are legalistic and follow rules for the sake of following rules instead of trying to have a genuine, sincere relationship with God. But I guess from a non-Christian point of view I am religious since I follow a religion by describing myself as a Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    At this time, I don't see anything that says God (or whatever) be more likely to be true than anything else, and maybe less when we take Occam's Razor and other rational principles into account.
    I sometimes think it is actually easier to be a Christian and believe in God if you haven't been brought up in a Christian environment where your faith has been preached as the one and only truth but if you instead become a believer later in life. I became a Christian after having been brought up in a completely non-religious environment and having an overnight conversion experience at the age of 19. I know that my conversion experience was miraculous and 11 years later I am still a Christian so it has obviously lasted and I will always have that miracle to look back on when I wonder about God and life, no one can take that away from me. It almost feels as if by me having been brought up as an atheist I could start with a clean slate once I converted, I didn't have to fight through all the crap that "church culture" and annoyingly churchy people can instill in you since I had never been exposed to that for the first 19 years of my life. (In contrast I have a Northern Irish friend who has been brought up in church and now has left the faith and is trying to find out what she really believes, to her a lot of the Christian beliefs are just a cultural thing that have been pushed on her as a child.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I know that my conversion experience was miraculous and 11 years later I am still a Christian so it has obviously lasted and I will always have that miracle to look back on when I wonder about God and life, no one can take that away from me.
    Would you mind sharing it if I promise not to try to take it away from you? I am simply curious what counts as a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Would you mind sharing it if I promise not to try to take it away from you? I am simply curious what counts as a miracle.
    I can send you a PM if that's alright and once I get around to it.