First 12345 Last

Thread: Survey

n/a
    n/a
    no
    Dirt Farmer

MBTI
    ENTP

I picked the negative in every choice. I don't believe in a superbeing watching over us, simply because the world looks like there isn't. Or the superbeing must be very indifferent, a bit like an author who doesn't want the heroes to know there are in a book - which, for all practical purposes, is the same from our point of view.
    No afterlife, either... Like the existence of gods, this is such a strong claim, backed by a huge lack of evidence.
    And if you don't believe in gods or afterlife, there is little point in praying or going to church...
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I selected that I believe in God, an afterlife and that I am religious.

These sorts of questions are great for illustrating incongruence in meaning or attributional and explanatory styles, very few people are in consensus as to what any of them mean, defining your terms is nye on impossible and when successful it has a mirage like quality as concepts morph, change and lead to a further dispute or dialogue.

Take Wittgenstein, great guy, wrote some awesome books and was seriously hailed and given accolades by some major athiests like Bertrand Russell (who I think was a better thinker than either AC Grayling or any of the so called new athiests like Dawkins), yet, Wittgenstein was an absolutely convinced theist who carried a copy of the bible with him into war and thought that most of the atheistic ways of framing thoughts or questions about God were results of erroronious thinking.

I see your position has evolved, @FireShield98. Congratulations.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    And if you don't believe in gods or afterlife, there is little point in praying or going to church...
    Actually, if you "fit into the culture," church can offer a very strong family/community support structure; I think it's one reason why church has continued to thrive in some settings. It's far more than just a "one morning a week" thing.

One of my most difficult aspects of my decision to leave church was losing that network of people, which was useful to me in some ways and also gave me a channel through which to contribute.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Tamske View Post
    I picked the negative in every choice. I don't believe in a superbeing watching over us, simply because the world looks like there isn't. Or the superbeing must be very indifferent, a bit like an author who doesn't want the heroes to know there are in a book - which, for all practical purposes, is the same from our point of view.
    No afterlife, either... Like the existence of gods, this is such a strong claim, backed by a huge lack of evidence.
    "Superbeing"? Are you actually saying you don't believe in Cthulhu?

"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTp

No, No, and No.
    I believe these things were created out of fear: Belief in the afterlife was born from the fear of death (thinking you'll still exist after dying is very reassuring to many), belief in God was born from the fear of being entirely responsible of what we're doing. I'd rather face and accept the truth.
    Just my opinion, though.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Nales View Post
    No, No, and No.
    I believe these things were created out of fear: Belief in the afterlife was born from the fear of death (thinking you'll still exist after dying is very reassuring to many), belief in God was born from the fear of being entirely responsible of what we're doing. I'd rather face and accept the truth.
    Just my opinion, though.
    You are blasphemying against the god Cthulhu. I wouldn't mess around with Cthulhu.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think it's entirely your prerogatives to not believe in God, be religious or believe in an afterlife. But it irritates me to no end when you (those who do) have to explain in very naively simple terms why other people do and think it's evidence for how stupid they are. It's not as simple as that, it's very complex and innate. Isn't it sufficient just to state your own view?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I see your position has evolved, @FireShield98. Congratulations.
    Yes. And odd that you should mention this, because it wasn't until after listening to some debates of Christopher Hitchens that I became an atheist (and I believe you mentioned him in the Shyness thread: "Just imagine what, say, Christopher Hitchens would argue.").