User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1

    Default Nothing times infinity

    In the latest episode of House that I've seen, I think the penultimate, House gives his friend a sedative to give him a taste of "temporary death" and his friend tells him that he has not proven that death is nothingness but that the sedative is nothingness, House says he expected that nothingness is better than something terrible would be the response but not that there would be hopes of a hereafter.

    He says in response to his friend telling him that he was unconscious that he had no thoughts, no dreams etc. and now think of that times infinity without the waking up on the couch.

    The "experiment" is meant to compell or motivate a further course of chemotherapy to try and seize some more longevity, later when a patient makes a similar life threatening choice House tries to strangle them and says "you are fighting back because of the human responsibility to live".

    Now there's a lot to discuss there, for instance the responsibility to live thing and impulsive responses to life threatening stimulus, although what I would like to ask is does anyone else think that the "nothing times infinity" would be a terrible fate? I dont believe so, given that any time I have slept that "deep sleep of the dead" its never been a bad experience, sometimes I dont like waking from it, especially if its waking to stress, strain and demands on me.

    Of course I'm a theist and do not believe that this would be perpetual, there is an eventual awakening to new life but that's a different question and I dont think relates directly to this one, it would perhaps be more important if you dreaded that kind of state.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Munchies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno
    Posts
    474

    Default

    the human responsibility to live is the divine force in all of us struggling to live no matter what, self preservation.

    Nothing times infinity is everything. i don't believe in death
    1+1=3 OMFG

  3. #3
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    If you're in a permanent state of nothingness without consciousness, why does it matter anymore? Consciousness is necessary to experience pain/discomfort. You also might as well label it non-existence, "you" are not in a permanent state because "you" no longer exists.

    There's not much to say about it, as there are human hopes for reality and then there is reality itself, and we have not been given insight into what actually does happen after the death barrier is crossed. it is all conjecture, and whether it is bliss, non-existence, or pure hell, we don't really get a choice in the matter as every human being dies. The wondering is all purely speculative; all we know is that the body ceases to function and eventually turns to dust.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Posts
    5,927

    Default

    Nothing times infinity = everything.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Little_Sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    Nothing times infinity is everything. i don't believe in death
    In what way would you say 'Nothing times infinity is everything.'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If you're in a permanent state of nothingness without consciousness, why does it matter anymore?
    If one is in a state of nothingness, wouldn't it stand to reason that there must also exist something for nothing to exist in relation to it? Or asked another way, what is nothing without something?

    Consciousness is necessary to experience pain/discomfort. You also might as well label it non-existence, "you" are not in a permanent state because "you" no longer exists.
    Yes, but consciousness is also necessary to experience pleasure/comfort, and an idea of pain/discomfort must be known in some form to then know pleasure/comfort.

    One could also argue that there is an unconscious nature of reality that our consciousness is built on and that that part of ourselves does not have to exist in any permanent state (and some would argue the unconscious is symbolic to a perpetual state of change of reality that draws our consciousness of it), nor does it necessarily obey any sense of time without consciousness, and then nor would it have to be nothing either without consciousness because there can still be an aspect of it that is something unknown or undefined until there is an awareness of it.

    But more importantly, this unconscious aspect of ourselves can manifest consciousness just as easily as it takes it away. I see plenty of reason to doubt that I would cease to exist as you suggest.

    There's not much to say about it, as there are human hopes for reality and then there is reality itself, and we have not been given insight into what actually does happen after the death barrier is crossed. it is all conjecture, and whether it is bliss, non-existence, or pure hell, we don't really get a choice in the matter as every human being dies. The wondering is all purely speculative; all we know is that the body ceases to function and eventually turns to dust.
    And what is reality itself exactly?
    How do you know it is all conjecture?
    How do you know we do not get a choice or any choice in the matter?

    Not meaning to be rude, but you are making the claim that the pursuit of knowledge and understanding is inevitably conjecture, but we don't even know what standards you would require for it not to be conjecture, nor do you provide any reason for your claim(s) not to be considered conjecture in itself, making your claims strictly paradoxical from my end of the boat.

  6. #6
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    If one is in a state of nothingness, wouldn't it stand to reason that there must also exist something for nothing to exist in relation to it? Or asked another way, what is nothing without something?
    That hurt my head to just read.

    ["She hurt my head. My mommy hurt my head!"]

    Sorry. Random movie quotes flashing before my eyes. rubber cookie if you can tell me what movie that line is from.

    Again, none of that matters as far as I can see. Just because "something" exists doesn't mean that "YOU" any longer exist.

    Yes, but consciousness is also necessary to experience pleasure/comfort, and an idea of pain/discomfort must be known in some form to then know pleasure/comfort.
    Not meaning to be rude, but I don't understand what that has to do with anything. Obviously if you no longer exist, you won't be feeling pain or comfort. You won't even be aware you don't feel anything, good or bad. You don't exist.

    One could also argue that there is an unconscious nature of reality that our consciousness is built on and that that part of ourselves does not have to exist in any permanent state (and some would argue the unconscious is symbolic to a perpetual state of change of reality that draws our consciousness of it), nor does it necessarily obey any sense of time without consciousness, and then nor would it have to be nothing either without consciousness because there can still be an aspect of it that is something unknown or undefined until there is an awareness of it.
    Not meaning to be rude, but what exactly are you building any of that on?

    You could argue it, certainly. But I don't think you can show it... no more than you can show that the universe is crawling around on the back of a giant turtle.

    But more importantly, this unconscious aspect of ourselves can manifest consciousness just as easily as it takes it away. I see plenty of reason to doubt that I would cease to exist as you suggest.
    Not meaning to be rude, but .... what are your "plenty of reasons to doubt"? You have shown nothing substantial whatsoever to support any of your assertions. In fact, the only tangible appearance of anything we have is that ... everything dies, and nothing comes back. Death is the great "event horizon" of the black hole that is our demise.

    And what is reality itself exactly?
    How do you know it is all conjecture?
    How do you know we do not get a choice or any choice in the matter?
    Not meaning to be rude, but since none of us know ANYTHING about what "reality is exactly" and have nothing to go on except what we see happen around us, and that is the only evidence we have, then.... what makes the most likely story here? Basing your ideas on evidence you can actually witness, or placing more stock in wild speculation? At least I'm trying to root my speculation in some form of observable phenomena, whereas you're just ... well, I have no idea where you are drawing these ideas from.

    Not meaning to be rude, but you are making the claim that the pursuit of knowledge and understanding is inevitably conjecture, but we don't even know what standards you would require for it not to be conjecture, nor do you provide any reason for your claim(s) not to be considered conjecture in itself, making your claims strictly paradoxical from my end of the boat.
    Not meaning to be rude, but I wasn't talking to you (so why the hostility?), and your post seems to be even flimsier from a rational standpoint that what you criticized me for. By all means, shoot it down, but put some ammo in the gun first.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  7. #7
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Oh, and input from my roommate: "Peanut butter."

    That is all.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #8
    sswwwaagggg gmanyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    275

    Default

    nothing times infinity is i think five hundred milien or maybe even a little bit more becos thats half of a bilien and a bilien is about the highest number becos i dont know any of the higher ones so i think its probably almos tinfinity or else id know some higher numberns
    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I'm starting to see you and your avatar as a cloud of odor that eminates from trashy threads.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Munchies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    In what way would you say 'Nothing times infinity is everything.'?.
    Nothing in itself is a negative form of infinity, for it to be multiplied would mean for it to exist, making it a postive form nothing, hense everything

    Quote Originally Posted by gmanyo View Post
    nothing times infinity is i think five hundred milien or maybe even a little bit more becos thats half of a bilien and a bilien is about the highest number becos i dont know any of the higher ones so i think its probably almos tinfinity or else id know some higher numberns
    loolololol
    1+1=3 OMFG

  10. #10
    Superwoman Red Herring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,644

    Default

    I don't see anything scary about eternal nothingness.

    What scares/worries me about death (aside from possible physical and /or emotional pain I might experience while dying) is the impact on those left behind.
    I will no longer exist to notice the impact, but there is a world beyond me that still exists. I'm important in my life and to those close to me, but in the grand scheme of things I'm a little spack of dirt and perfectly fine with that because so is just about anybody else and I don't feel like I am missing out on something because of that.
    But since I consider right and wrong (or rather pleasure and pain) to exist beyond my personal experience and usually try to detach from my own perspective and be as objective as possible when judging a situation, it is the living I would not want to leave behind in pain. So even if I don't believe in there being any negative consequences to dying for myself, I would not want to say leave behind a child still in need of me, or even a lover or friends and family members that would be terribly shook up by my disappearance from their world.

    Speaking of missing out on things. Yes, all the joys still ahead of you are a good motive to keep going, but then again when you're gone you're gone and you're not there to regret anything either. But while you are still here you might as well enjoy yourself and collect as many positive memories and have as positive an impact on the world around you as possible. Carpe diem!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. Nothing, infinity, and everything inbetween
    By Munchies in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
  2. Timing is everything?
    By Littlelostnf in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
  3. You're wasting your time - he's nothing like the Nightrider!!
    By 563 740 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
  4. It's about damn time!
    By Rajah in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 03:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO