User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 98

  1. #71
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    It isn't ironic. You do have a choice, Marmie. You don't have to engage them back. You bite every time.
    The irony here is you bring up tolerance by oppression, while trying to oppress those that display intolerance of you.
    But I'm not preaching almighty tolerance, I admit to being intolerant of certain things, and even proud of my judgments. So there's no irony in that.

    Please take it back a notch or two, it was a interesting subject you brought up.
    Take what back a notch or two? Don't personally engage me about my behavior when I'm not talking to you.

  2. #72
    Senior Member Gish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    STUF
    Posts
    891

    Default

    I'm pretty certain she was just suggesting that you return to the more interesting topic you had started, as in, take a few steps back.
    Whoops.

  3. #73
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    @Gish oh you mean that interesting subject you wanted to piss all over, troll?

  4. #74
    Senior Member Gish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    STUF
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    @Gish oh you mean that interesting subject you wanted to piss all over, troll?
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, I was just following the pace you set with the first response you posted to your own thread.

    I think Qlip, Orangey, and Coriolis all made very strong points at various spots in this thread but you chose to ignore them and instead pick whatever fight you saw come over the horizon. Even when Jennifer made an attempt at providing some input your first response was to insult her.

    I only pissed where you had placed the toilet, sunshine.
    Whoops.

  5. #75
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Tolerance is not ironic. Oppressive tolerance? Not that either. I mean shouldn't tolerance be allowed to judge? When you say tolerance you automatically create a boundary, and tolerance isn't the space in-between the two points, but is the end of itself. That space is filled with patience and reasoning.

    Societies aren't correct just because they have values, because they don't all have reasoning. Some may say that reasoning isn't the only way to decide what is correct, but how does a value ever reason, or compromise with a different value? Where else can you turn, but reasoning?

    No high-horse. Anyone who has the capability of reasoning correctly can reason correctly.

    It says something about reality......... Whatever that may be I can't quite tell. I can tell you that it seems tolerance is another distraction, or a band-aid.

    What problem? WE'RE TOLERANT!

  6. #76
    ReflecTcelfeR
    Guest

    Default

    Tolerance is not ironic. Oppressive tolerance? Not that either. I mean shouldn't tolerance be allowed to judge? When you say tolerance you automatically create a boundary, and tolerance isn't the space in-between the two points, but is the end of itself. That space is filled with patience and reasoning.

    Societies aren't correct just because they have values, because they don't all have reasoning. Some may say that reasoning isn't the only way to decide what is correct, but how does a value ever reason, or compromise with a different value? Where else can you turn, but reasoning?

    No high-horse. Anyone who has the capability of reasoning correctly can reason correctly.

    It says something about reality......... Whatever that may be I can't quite tell. I can tell you that it seems tolerance is another distraction, or a band-aid.

    What problem? WE'RE TOLERANT!

  7. #77
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Tolerance is not the same as acceptance or agreement. Open-mindedness similarly requires a willingness only to consider different ideas. Like the famous quote from Aristotle, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.". Blind, uncritical acceptance of everything that comes your way is not tolerance, it is spinelessness or gullibility.

    Tolerance means only "live and let live", as you put it, like the highlighted above. If after entertaining an unfamiliar idea we find it sensible or appealing, we can move from tolerance to agreement, acceptance, or even appreciation.
    In this case, tolerance is a means to an end, not the end itself. That's the problem with the term, and I think that's the point of this thread; that tolerance in and of itself is too slippery a concept to serve as a normative value by which to evaluate specific behaviors, and when it is used that way, it becomes a (frankly, rather despicable) topos. A rhetorical ploy.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  8. #78
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, I was just following the pace you set with the first response you posted to your own thread.

    I think Qlip, Orangey, and Coriolis all made very strong points at various spots in this thread but you chose to ignore them and instead pick whatever fight you saw come over the horizon. Even when Jennifer made an attempt at providing some input your first response was to insult her.

    I only pissed where you had placed the toilet, sunshine.
    actually, boy wonder, I repped orangey saying her post was great, and almost publicly called it the best post in thread, but decided I didn't want to disrespect corolis (who I also thanked) or lexicon, whose post I also respected. I don't single out people I have no reason to tangle with, and your frankly fuckin retarded assumption that I ignored the people you mentioned says more about you than it does about me. In fact I never even responded to your first post, only when you joined the other obsessed fan in the thread in personally attacking me. So don't blame me for your own repeated vile behavior, no one is forcing you to follow me around the forum making half-assed mostly ignorant critiques of my person

    ETA: wait didn't I even talk to qlip and corolis publicly? And I was joking around with Jennifer. Your perceptions are pretty warped gish, I don't even know where you're getting this shit now.

  9. #79
    Senior Member Gish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    STUF
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Blah blah typo blah
    You seem irate, have you tried Bikram yoga before?

    I think the main issue is just that tolerance has become a buzzword and is thrown around so much that it loses any value as a word in a "cry wolf" sense. However, I don't think the actual definition of tolerance implies a lack of backbone or free will, more just "don't be a bigoted asshole".
    Whoops.

  10. #80
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    In this case, tolerance is a means to an end, not the end itself. That's the problem with the term, and I think that's the point of this thread; that tolerance in and of itself is too slippery a concept to serve as a normative value by which to evaluate specific behaviors, and when it is used that way, it becomes a (frankly, rather despicable) topos. A rhetorical ploy.
    yes, exactly, its tolerance as an end unto itself which is the problem, rather than it being a means to an end, like wealth and progress seeming to become ends unto themselves when they also should only be means to an end

    you put this so eloquently orangey, more than I could, thank you

Similar Threads

  1. ESTP vs ENTP - the value system
    By nanook in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
  2. The Post-Secular as the Post-1968 Generation
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 03:17 PM
  3. The Iron Man Fallacy
    By reason in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-14-2008, 05:29 AM
  4. The Nature of Values
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM
  5. [MBTItm] NF as the quintessential confidant.
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 04:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO