User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 98

  1. #31
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    The concepts of tolerance/intolerance and closed/open-mindedness are meaningless, so if anybody ever employs them in conversation or argument, it is merely a (not very clever or cunning) tactic to discredit their opponent. It is nothing more than a weak ethos attack.

    It is best to either ignore it or explain to the person exactly why they're stupid for trying that shit.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  2. #32
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Tolerance is very popular, even mandatory, in our society today. Of course up unto a point that is good, because it means that people of varying races, sexual orientations, religious creeds and life philosophies are free to live without persecution (or in theory should be).

    I just think this trend toward over-tolerance is unhealthy. There's a difference between being open-minded enough to live and let live, and being so open-minded that you become malleable, stupid, or accepting of things to the point of passivity.
    Tolerance is not the same as acceptance or agreement. Open-mindedness similarly requires a willingness only to consider different ideas. Like the famous quote from Aristotle, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.". Blind, uncritical acceptance of everything that comes your way is not tolerance, it is spinelessness or gullibility.

    Tolerance means only "live and let live", as you put it, like the highlighted above. If after entertaining an unfamiliar idea we find it sensible or appealing, we can move from tolerance to agreement, acceptance, or even appreciation.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  3. #33
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    NO.

    That goes for me too.

    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #34
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That goes for me too.

    WEAR THOSE VALUES PROUDLY SISTER.


  5. #35
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Tolerance is not the same as acceptance or agreement. Open-mindedness similarly requires a willingness only to consider different ideas. Like the famous quote from Aristotle, "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.". Blind, uncritical acceptance of everything that comes your way is not tolerance, it is spinelessness or gullibility.

    Tolerance means only "live and let live", as you put it, like the highlighted above. If after entertaining an unfamiliar idea we find it sensible or appealing, we can move from tolerance to agreement, acceptance, or even appreciation.
    Yes but I've entertained certain ideas long before yet another person brings up those ridiculous regurgitated ideas yet again, and given them a fair shake, before I already came to my own sound judgments. I mean, just because something is new to you, or just because I don't happen to agree with it, doesn't mean that I didn't already try to tolerate it and learn about it at some point in the past, or that possibly I even understand more about that idea than the person claiming to admire it, and that's why I hate it.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That goes for me too.

    Who are you?

  7. #37
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    WEAR THOSE VALUES PROUDLY SISTER.

    !!!! I'm not gonna let my values about restraining my values be restrained !!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Who are you?
    I'M HERE AND I'M FI'ING MY FE'ING DAMMIT AND NO ONE IS GONNA STOP ME!!!

    ... wait... am I over-dominating the threa.... NO DAMMIT I AM GONNA KEEP MY VOICE!!!!!

    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #38
    Senior Member UniqueMixture's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Posts
    3,038

    Default

    What specifically is this about anyway? What do you believe others are trying to "force you" to tolerate? With Lark it is the gays. What's your thing?
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

  9. #39
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yes but I've entertained certain ideas long before yet another person brings up those ridiculous regurgitated ideas yet again, and given them a fair shake, before I already came to my own sound judgments. I mean, just because something is new to you, or just because I don't happen to agree with it, doesn't mean that I didn't already try to tolerate it and learn about it at some point in the past, or that possibly I even understand more about that idea than the person claiming to admire it, and that's why I hate it.
    Then you're done. Unless someone raises new points that you have not previously considered, tolerance does not obligate you to keep revisiting the same ground. You have determined your views; anyone pushy at this point is being intolerant of YOU. There is also the distinction between tolerance of ideas and people. Something akin to the sentiment often attributed to Voltaire, "I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.".
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  10. #40
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    What specifically is this about anyway? What do you believe others are trying to "force you" to tolerate? With Lark it is the gays. What's your thing?
    It's not just me. I've noticed this trend in society, and obviously so have other people in this thread, what is being referred to as the fascism of the liberals, for starters, the politically correct police, and this can extend to other discussions about ideas, like the attitude if you have standards and you say something is sub par then you're attacking a person just because they believe it or like it.

    I thought you were leaving anyway. Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

Similar Threads

  1. ESTP vs ENTP - the value system
    By nanook in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
  2. The Post-Secular as the Post-1968 Generation
    By Sniffles in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-23-2008, 03:17 PM
  3. The Iron Man Fallacy
    By reason in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-14-2008, 05:29 AM
  4. The Nature of Values
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-22-2008, 02:42 PM
  5. [MBTItm] NF as the quintessential confidant.
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 04:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO