User Tag List

123 Last

Default Watching Dumb Movies Discerning Deep Philosophical Meanings or Content?

I also do this with books, I remember when I was young watching a movie called Remo: Real American Hero or something like that, the guy in the title meets and is trained by some amazing martial artist who can dodge bullets at close range, drive his finger through solid panels of wood, all the physical feats you could think of.

Anyway in it the trainer guy watches a corny daytime soap opera religiously, you know a kind of "days of their lives" show like what Joey acted in in Friends, when it is mentioned he suggests that the TV show features all that is good, honour, family, sacrifice etc. and is pretty profound about it.

It made me think again about stuff like this, my question is can pulp fiction or "chewing gum" for the eyes really be profound? Or do you have to introduce it by subjectively thinking about it? Is it the show which can have that quality or is it just projection of the viewer which makes it so?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

It made me think again about stuff like this, my question is can pulp fiction or "chewing gum" for the eyes really be profound? Or do you have to introduce it by subjectively thinking about it? Is it the show which can have that quality or is it just projection of the viewer which makes it so?
    Good question. I think profoundness is subjective. What's considered "profound" to one person may be rather "shallow" to someone else. I think just about anything can be looked at from many different angles so something, say a movie, could be "profound" in one aspect but more "shallow" in another.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I'm trying to discern deep philosophical meaning from your use of capitalization in the thread title.

garbage

I once thought of one particularly shallow person as "innocent" and "not bogged down by life," and I thought that that was refreshing, beautiful, and meaningful. That convinced me that meaning is mostly internal, and that we like to find meaning in things (in reality, she was just a shallow person). Still, that ain't a bad thing, but it's something that we should recognize--that our worldview ultimately creates our world.

People do the same with song lyrics, too. .. and all forms of art. It's difficult to determine what proportion of 'meaning' lies with the individual and what proportion lies with the object.

Some things are more profound and meaningful than others, though--and sometimes we can discover meaning in places where we wouldn't expect.

also relevant:
    From "Family Guy"--

Peter: (watching a plastic bag blow in the wind) Look, it’s dancing with me. It’s like there’s this incredibly benevolent force that wants me to know there’s no reason to be afraid. Sometimes there’s so much beauty in the world it makes my heart burst.

God: (watching and shouting down to Peter) It’s just some trash blowing in the wind! Do you have any idea how complicated your circulatory system is?!

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

If by "discerning deep philosophical meaning" you mean "heckling the shit out of the movie Mystery Science style" then yes.

/didn't read OP

ETA: Ok, idiotic non-helpful snark aside, I read the OP and yes, I think you can find wisdom in the most unlikely of places. I've had a lot of science fiction television shows, drama-based movies, etc.. have moments in them that made me look at something differently or consider a situation like I hadn't before.

That actually is why I love science fiction so much
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

No, but sometimes I read Lark posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    No, but sometimes I read Lark posts.
    And you wonder why Haight called you on your shit and humiliated you in that other thread?

And you wonder why Haight called you on your shit and humiliated you in that other thread?
    See, what you describe there has never happened. Either you did not read enough of that thread or you really are unable to comprehend written words properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    See, what you describe there has never happened. Either you did not read enough of that thread or you really are unable to comprehend written words properly.
    I comprehended just fine and it did happen. Within the first page. Its there for everyone else to see too. How do you feel about that?

I comprehended just fine and it did happen. Within the first page. Its there for everyone else to see too. How do you feel about that?
    Within the first page Haight merely shows his lack of information.