• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Watching Dumb Movies Discerning Deep Philosophical Meanings or Content?

Lark

I also do this with books, I remember when I was young watching a movie called Remo: Real American Hero or something like that, the guy in the title meets and is trained by some amazing martial artist who can dodge bullets at close range, drive his finger through solid panels of wood, all the physical feats you could think of.

Anyway in it the trainer guy watches a corny daytime soap opera religiously, you know a kind of "days of their lives" show like what Joey acted in in Friends, when it is mentioned he suggests that the TV show features all that is good, honour, family, sacrifice etc. and is pretty profound about it.

It made me think again about stuff like this, my question is can pulp fiction or "chewing gum" for the eyes really be profound? Or do you have to introduce it by subjectively thinking about it? Is it the show which can have that quality or is it just projection of the viewer which makes it so?

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It made me think again about stuff like this, my question is can pulp fiction or "chewing gum" for the eyes really be profound? Or do you have to introduce it by subjectively thinking about it? Is it the show which can have that quality or is it just projection of the viewer which makes it so?

Good question. I think profoundness is subjective. What's considered "profound" to one person may be rather "shallow" to someone else. I think just about anything can be looked at from many different angles so something, say a movie, could be "profound" in one aspect but more "shallow" in another.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm trying to discern deep philosophical meaning from your use of capitalization in the thread title.

G

garbage

I once thought of one particularly shallow person as "innocent" and "not bogged down by life," and I thought that that was refreshing, beautiful, and meaningful. That convinced me that meaning is mostly internal, and that we like to find meaning in things (in reality, she was just a shallow person). Still, that ain't a bad thing, but it's something that we should recognize--that our worldview ultimately creates our world.

People do the same with song lyrics, too. .. and all forms of art. It's difficult to determine what proportion of 'meaning' lies with the individual and what proportion lies with the object.

Some things are more profound and meaningful than others, though--and sometimes we can discover meaning in places where we wouldn't expect.

also relevant:
From "Family Guy"--

Peter: (watching a plastic bag blow in the wind) Look, it’s dancing with me. It’s like there’s this incredibly benevolent force that wants me to know there’s no reason to be afraid. Sometimes there’s so much beauty in the world it makes my heart burst.

God: (watching and shouting down to Peter) It’s just some trash blowing in the wind! Do you have any idea how complicated your circulatory system is?!

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If by "discerning deep philosophical meaning" you mean "heckling the shit out of the movie Mystery Science style" then yes.

/didn't read OP

ETA: Ok, idiotic non-helpful snark aside, I read the OP and yes, I think you can find wisdom in the most unlikely of places. I've had a lot of science fiction television shows, drama-based movies, etc.. have moments in them that made me look at something differently or consider a situation like I hadn't before.

That actually is why I love science fiction so much :)

Nicodemus

And you wonder why Haight called you on your shit and humiliated you in that other thread?
See, what you describe there has never happened. Either you did not read enough of that thread or you really are unable to comprehend written words properly.

Lark

See, what you describe there has never happened. Either you did not read enough of that thread or you really are unable to comprehend written words properly.

I comprehended just fine and it did happen. Within the first page. Its there for everyone else to see too. How do you feel about that?

G

garbage

I do glean some meaning from seemingly pointless bickering--great insights about human nature, for sure. :wink:

Nicodemus

Lark

Since I am not allowed to quote the mod PM telling me that Haight with his misinformation just confused matters, you have to try - really try - to understand the implications of the following two posts:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55356&p=1846838&viewfull=1#post1846838
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55356&p=1845782&viewfull=1#post1845782

This clearly means way more to you than it ever could to me, how do you think that reflects on you?

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some people stare a waterfall and suddenly discover the meaning of life. A dumb movie might as well be useful.

Lark

I enjoy humiliating you.

WTF! Dude you got issues if you believe you could, although you got issues simply enjoying that kind of thing. Being a totally rotten human being is something you can correct you know, if not for you then do it for everyone who has to suffer you.