Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Why is Jesus not more 2 w 1?
    Or 4w3/5?

in response to me on the 'collective shadow' thread victor said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    In short, the Bible teaches theology.
    i'm answering here because i think this is a better place for the discussion. i would disagree that the bible teaches theology. simply put, our beliefs about God are theology. these can be correct or incorrect or partial. whenever we come to the biblical text we bring all our biases and filters with us and our understandings from the time and place in which we reside in the world and history. so, our understanding or interpretation of scripture is not equal to scripture. it is just our understanding of it and that is why there are so many differing theologies. theologies can be right, wrong, or a mix of both. it's also helpful to remember that there is 1) God, 2) scripture which contains his inspired words, and then 3) there is our understanding of scripture and God. it is wise not to conflate these.

another thing that is helpful is to ask the right questions of the text. when people read the book of genesis and start asking scientific questions about the age of the earth they are completely missing the whole point of the book. genesis isn't about how the earth and humankind were created. it is about why they were created. none of us have all the answers by any means but at least when we can ask the right questions we are on a better track.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Joehobo View Post
    What are you trying to achieve with this thread?
    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    I rarely stick up for Jesus but...
    To trick people, even those who aren't Christian, into sticking up for Jesus.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I was just talking bs. So are you.
    Deliberately, I hope.
    Ti-Ni looping is the ultimate setup for crazy, so I am being serious

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

@Victor: the irony is that you make this thread to argue for the smallness of Jesus, but, by making it, all you really prove is your own smallness. As Jesus said: "You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    You're a smart guy. I think you're capable of examining both sides rather than consistently just picking the most convenient. What case(s) have you run into in your examination of Christianity that would counter such an argument that you've made? What are your perceived flaws of its position? I find it boring to rehash the most basic arguments with an Ne secondary who won't even properly canvass and critique level 1 arguments regarding the faith, as it indicates any energy invested in such a discussion on my part will be wasted.
    No, no, Jennifer, because we are limited, we can only express one facet at a time, so I rely upon you to express the facets I am too limited to produce. And like the facets of a diamond, we sparkle together.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Obviously not for any rational reason.
    He was, allegedly, convicted, beaten, crucified and posthumously turned into the hero of a silly fairy tale. Nothing I want to achieve, really.
    No, his greatness is a dogma of a belief that is very questionable as whole.
    And indeed this dogma is being questioned on this very thread we are reading now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Do you have evidence for any of this? We know something about the culture and customs of Jesus' day, but really very little about Jesus himself. I suspect most of what he actually said and did is now lost to us, or substantially redacted and packaged by the religious establishment that became organized Christianity.
    Yes, you are right. I only infer this from our historical knowledge of the time.