User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Thread: Jesus

MBTI
    INFJ

I think the video was effective: it insults both irreverence and rational thought, and does so under the guise of humor. Moreover, its quite an effective diversion. Perhaps the video would have been funnier if it wasn't so defensive; there's and undertone of hostility. But if it was funnier I'm guessing it wouldn't have achieved its purpose.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I think the video was effective: it insults both irreverence and rational thought, and does so under the guise of humor. Moreover, its quite an effective diversion. Perhaps the video would have been funnier if it wasn't so defensive; there's and undertone of hostility. But if it was funnier I'm guessing it wouldn't have achieved its purpose.
    You were right about everything but the "rational thought" bit.

Edit: well, that, and that your own defensiveness probably made you think it's less funny than I did.

MBTI
    INFJ

Right in the very beginning, he asks rhetorical questions; one of them being "Are you afraid that faith will compromise your reason, yet feel you're drowning in the fashionable intellectual cesspool of non-belief..?" Juxtaposing the words "intellectual" and "cesspool" is indicative of how little he (they?) value reason, and rational thought. I'd go so far as to say that he considers independent, rational thought to be an enemy of faith....

....and he'd be correct.

Really, I'm wasn't being defensive. I'm just disappointed that the video was so diversionary.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Right in the very beginning, he asks rhetorical questions; one of them being "Are you afraid that faith will compromise your reason, yet feel you're drowning in the fashionable intellectual cesspool of non-belief..?" Juxtaposing the words "intellectual" and "cesspool" is indicative of how little he (they?) value reason, and rational thought.
    Actually, if you look at the entire phrase, it is "fashionable intellectual cesspool of non-belief".

His point is not that there is anything wrong with being an intellectual or intellectualism.

His point is that non-belief is so like many fashionable intellectual movements before it.

In other words, it is vapid, unsubstantiated, and groundless. See: Marxism.

...I'd go so far as to say that he considers independent, rational thought to be an enemy of faith....
    And you'd be wrong.

What he thinks is that non-belief is not actually rational thought.

That it merely poses as rational thought, but is completely undeserving of the name.

....and he'd be correct.
    In my version, yes.

In your version, no.

I'm just disappointed that the video was so diversionary.
    If by "diversionary" you mean "counter to what you find important", then yes, you're using that word correctly.

MBTI
    INFJ

By "diversionary" I meant that the subject went from "Philosophy and Spirituality" to Video content; but I am encouraged by your reading comprehension level. :o)

There's nothing reasonable or rational about the notion of an invisible man that lives in the sky.

As far as the video is concerned, I think its duplicitous in that it makes pretensions at being humorous. But I guess we're just viewing it from diametrically opposite perspectives...which is okay, isn't it?

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

We worship because we've been genetically programmed to do so. For millions of years, humans existed in small groups, each having a leader. Gene frequencies were adjusted over eons so that most people - very much like today - want or even need to follow. It had to be that way, because groups with people who didn't have a strong need to belong, and to follow....didn't work together. Those groups failed.

The leader of a group ( or tribe or whatever ) makes the important decisions for the group. He watches out for the group...and all he wants is your loyalty. So you trust in him, you look to him to provide food, shelter....sound familiar....?
    Yes, but today ironically it is the opposite.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

There's nothing reasonable or rational about the notion of an invisible man that lives in the sky.
    Nor is there anything reasonable or rational about setting up straw men in the place of God.

As far as the video is concerned, I think its duplicitous in that it makes pretensions at being humorous.
    Attempting to be humorous and make a point: the nerve of some people!

But I guess we're just viewing it from diametrically opposite perspectives...which is okay, isn't it?
    I don't think you know enough about my views to say that we're coming from diametrically opposite perspectives.

Unless, of course, you're calling me a person of reason and yourself a person of faith.

In that case, then yes, you're (once again) using those words correctly.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The essene was a cult, it was not a sect in my opinion, which has a strong connection with both Christ and especially with His cousin John the Baptist. The esseniens had a huge influence upon the christianity, just as much as Christ's super-civilization (and you will understand why I say that) had a huge influence upon the essenes (I don't know if I write correct or not).

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm not sure how this supports the idea that Jesus was stupid and illiterate.
    The printing press was invented in 1440 leading to the dream of universal literacy only realised in developed countries hundreds of years later.

So prior to universal literacy in developed countries all times and places had a spoken culture, including Palestine in the first century.

And although I infer Jesus was illiterate, I have never suggested He was stupid.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Or 4w3/5?

I'm definitely not seeing Jesus with a 3 anywhere in his enneatype.