User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is introspection a form of intelligence?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is introspection a form of intelligence?

...versus, just a characteristic...?

That's the Q. A curious mind inquires!

*Also, is curiosity a form of intelligence or just a (necessary?) precursor to it? I suppose curiosity may be a variety of introspection.

*Err I meant vice versa! Introspection seems like a variety of curiosity that is specifically directed inward.
    "The soul of wit may become the very body of untruth... But life is short and information endless: nobody has time for everything. In practice we are generally forced to choose between an unduly brief exposition and no exposition at all. Abbreviation is a necessary evil and the abbreviator's business is to make the best of a job which, though intrinsically bad, is still better than nothing." Aldous Huxley

sort of lurking Array Red Herring's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a model of multiple intelligences that includes intrapersonal skills. I'm not sure yet what to think of it.

Curiosity, I'd say, is an indication of intelligence and a great aid on the path to knowledge.
    If I were a rabbit, where would I keep my gloves?
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Post Thanks / Like

I think introverts tend to be more intelligent in general. I think they are prone to getting caught up in recursive loops that can limit their effectiveness though.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    Post Thanks / Like
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Post Thanks / Like

Is extroversion a form of stupidity?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Is extroversion a form of stupidity?
    I didn't say introversion Gene Yass.
    "The soul of wit may become the very body of untruth... But life is short and information endless: nobody has time for everything. In practice we are generally forced to choose between an unduly brief exposition and no exposition at all. Abbreviation is a necessary evil and the abbreviator's business is to make the best of a job which, though intrinsically bad, is still better than nothing." Aldous Huxley

Banned Array
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    I think introverts tend to be more intelligent in general. I think they are prone to getting caught up in recursive loops that can limit their effectiveness though.
    I thought introspection is more closely tied to intuition than introversion. I might have been wrong...

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    To the bolded - absolutely agree. To the non-bolded, not so sure I agree. I guess that's part of the point to the OP, though, in that intense introspection (*which is often more associated with introverts) can yield certain insights that would never be discovered without the introspection? But the negative side is obviously the looping and self-absorption; I mean, being blind/oblivious to external input could also be viewed as incredibly stupid/ignorant/unintelligent. Just depends.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    Original Watercolors! Cascade Colors Original Watercolors

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused. People seem to be equating introspection with introversion, and FTR I don't agree that they are synonymous at all.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sp/sx
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I'm confused. People seem to be equating introspection with introversion, and FTR I don't agree that they are synonymous at all.
    Agreed. I don't think they are synonymous. There is a tendency for introverts to be introspective just as there is a tendency for extroverts not to be. Perhaps that it just natural considering the focus of attention/energy gain? Not sure but it seems to make sense.
    Aural Ecstatic: Music Euphoria

Them that's got shall get...them that's not shall lose...