User Tag List

12 Last

Default Ok so it's like this...

• People dying from hunger
    • People are homeless
    • People in war torn countries
    • People barely clothes

Is it really okay for me to worry about not being good looking, lacking good social skills, the girl I like not liking me back, life lacking meaning and all that stuff? I mean people dying everyday and I worry about this bullshit?

Perspective is a good thing, but rather than beating yourself up over comparatively trivial things, use it to focus on how you can make the world better.

Permabanned

Just because my problems aren't as bad as yours, it doesn't mean they stop being my problems.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Just because my problems aren't as bad as yours, it doesn't mean they stop being my problems.
    Indeedy. My problems may not match the degree or scope of the problems mentioned in the OP, but that doesn't stop them from damaging me or causing me harm.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by QuiteRole View Post
    • People dying from hunger
    • People are homeless
    • People in war torn countries
    • People barely clothes

Is it really okay for me to worry about not being good looking, lacking good social skills, the girl I like not liking me back, life lacking meaning and all that stuff? I mean people dying everyday and I worry about this bullshit?
    It's ok to lack the first three. It's not okay to worry about what you can't change immediately. Life lacking meaning is something you can change. If you're so concerned about life sucking, than try to find a way to help others. Start with family and/or close friends, they're the ones that know you a bit better than us so perhaps they can suggest something that you could consider.

Of course, report back if the suggestions are questionable.
    I just want to float.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

the issue behind those things you mentioned from you and behind those things like hunger in the world is that they cause negative emotions personally for people(your issues cause negative emotions for you, and their problems cause negative emotions for you).

when it comes to emotions, they are highly subjective. what you are feeling should not be compared to what others are feeling due to the subjectivity of the emotions. naturally there is such things like empathy and sympathy, which cause feelings without personal experiences with the issue at hand. even tho emotions triggered by empathy or sympathy are also subjective, they should not be compared to emotions triggered by personal experiences, as empathy and sympathy are merely reflections from the external world, while emotions triggered by personal experiences have personal origin. not to mention that when it comes to empathy or sympathy, you dont feel what the actual emotions that the other person feels, you are just simulating them in your own psyche, and your psyche is not like their psyche.

because of this difference in origin of emotions, you cant say that what you feel is wrong because someone else experiences different thing than you do. if you get really depressed because your girlfriend broke up with you, you might be expressing way more intense negative emotions than some starving child in africa does at the same moment. naturally for them its a longer term condition to feel crappy, but thats irrelevant to the fact that you are feeling like you dont want to live anymore.

when it comes to things like achieving happiness in things like getting friends or trying to look good, why would it make you a bad person if you arent doing it in the expense of others? its in the human nature to strive for comfort and feeling good is an emotional comfort.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah, it's okay. It's called relativity. You may not be able to work towards solving all the world's problems right now but you can work towards solving yours, and once your needs are met you can help out others too.

MBTI
    FREE

I'm of the belief that, with subjective matters such as feelings of jealousy or self-loathing, the only justification one needs is his or her own contentment with those feelings. Put another way, as long as you are okay with worrying about your looks, lack of social skills, unrequited love, etc., then you are justified in doing so. After all, as INTP mentioned, the extend to which external stimuli affect a person is unique to that person, and people who seem to have relatively good lives have killed themselves, while others who suffer tremendous hardships find peace despite them. C'est la vie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I think often the fewer "problems" one has, the larger they seem. It's about what is relevant... of course, you could become a missionary.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"