User Tag List

123 Last

Default Is the truth of something as important as its implications?

Is something important because it is true or because of the implications or consequences of it being true?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I believe the implications and consequences are more important than the fact in itself. An individual who lies to impress will not be an issue with me if it does not directly effect significantly within life. I take thought to choosing to believe and go with the lie if the person is generally good spirited. Always fun to hear the stories about a person running through a jungle and tackling 10 alligators before a helicopter picks him up as he was about to bring down a tiger. Lies demeaning upon others or selfish to the manifest desires of the individual are a bit more troubling. Not pleasant with how it more directly influences rapport, choices and situations.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I see Truth as a 'primary substance' if you will, that which comes before everything else.

The implication or consequences of Truth [or Untruth] are secondary attributes, and relative to certain circumstances.

The truth is not relative to anything else. It stands alone. Therefore it is more important.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is something important because it is true or because of the implications or consequences of it being true?
    I think it's an interesting question. I'm actually writing something right now that turns on just this question. I think that my answer would be the former, but I think there is definitely room for a conversation about relative importance.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

=AphroditeGoneAwry;1833495 It stands alone. .
    pff look at you. eating that apple. think you're all smart. all truth relies on other realities/truths to make it true so it doesnt stand alone HA

yes
    1+1=3 OMFG

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Oakysage View Post
    I believe the implications and consequences are more important than the fact in itself. An individual who lies to impress will not be an issue with me if it does not directly effect significantly within life. I take thought to choosing to believe and go with the lie if the person is generally good spirited. Always fun to hear the stories about a person running through a jungle and tackling 10 alligators before a helicopter picks him up as he was about to bring down a tiger. Lies demeaning upon others or selfish to the manifest desires of the individual are a bit more troubling. Not pleasant with how it more directly influences rapport, choices and situations.
    agreed (classic Te answer btw)
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Depends. Are you a Kantian?

My personal answer would be that I see a certain beauty (and thus value) in truth itself and would favor candor and honesty for reasons that go beyond the immediate impact: Society is based on cooperation. Cooperation requires an exchange of information and while we should always keep in the back of our mind that there is a chance the other person lies to us or unknowingly gives us false information, trust in the information we receive from others is at the very basis of that society and human interaction in general. Every lie is a little attack on the foundation of society and therefor, by extension, on humanity as a whole.

That being said, this does not justify being a jackass, for the same reasons I just mentioned - social cohesion

/baby Fe answer
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

yes

Depends on the subject matter. If we're concerning ourselves with morals then truth is irreverent and the consequences are what most would concern themselves with. Building a bridge on the other hand requires the most accurate description of reality as possible.

Should be said I prefer to move forward.

How often is there only one truth? Most often people believe in their perceptions of truth.

But factual, indisputable truth is beyond precious and beautiful, no matter how harsh. It's the holy grail of knowledge seekers.