User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default the ansver to how save the world(suggested by a mushroom)

i guess the title needs some explaining

Terence McKenna in this talk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWoHLcHC0oM talked about how people could get answers from psychedelics and how someone asked from him "why dont you just ask the mushroom how to save the world?", and he did.

Mushroom said to him that no woman should have no more than one natural child. First he was quite baffled by the answer, but he thought it through and its not hard to realize that the main reason for the problems in the world is overpopulation. So he calculated that if women wouldnt have no more than one natural child(ofc they could adopt), the population would go down to bit more than one billion in 150 years. Which would be quite optimal for this planet.

What do you guys think about the idea of people making only one child or about asking questions from the unconscious of oneself via psychedelic substances?

Ps. quite many cultures have used psychedelics as guides/teachers for centuries, so this isnt some new age wacko idea
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

ah... why I shall never be a prophet of any sort... mushrooms, when I tried them, made me rather ill

though I'm all for having fewer children pestering me in public... I swear that they're like cats and are most attracted to those who really aren't that fond of them
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    ah... why I shall never be a prophet of any sort... mushrooms, when I tried them, made me rather ill
    Same here. I literally foamed at the mouth and told my friends "Later!" The world went on without me, saved or damned. Me, I sat in bed and stared at the same object for 5 hours. Or was it 6? All I know is that there was no meaning of life. No meaning of that particular object either.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

I'd rather walk the Silk Road, after all is said and done.

Like I said, my experience is limited with shrooms, but LSD.. I don't know.. I've done it at least 30 times. I've never heard anyone say anything but gibberish (including myself). I used to have a sort of ritual though where I'd get my friends in the car, and gun it at this particular overpass that created the sensation that we were going to fly off the highway.. like a rollercoaster sensation. And everyone would be tripping balls. I have fond memories of this. When it came to discussing things though, I could associate an ashtray, a rotten tomato, a can of spraypaint, and Barry Manilow would pop on the radio... and suddenly I'd find the meaning of life in this absurd bullshit. And I sort of knew it was bullshit. It was just funny. Meaningful though? Not at all.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

@KDude... at least you didn't pull off the whole "wake up face down on the bath mat wondering how the hell you got there and why your face is stuck to the floor" (what was one of many for me around that time unfortunately)... no revelations from 'shrooms... not even a "what the hell am I doing with my life?!"

got nothing profound from the time I tried acid either... I believed that I was a hologram for about 2 hours straight, using the obvious logic that since I could pour a glass of water on my lap and the floor got wet I must NOT be real (ignoring the fact that I got soaked)... it is, however, always kind of amusing to listen to people on drugs say what they think is totally profound when completely sober... they sound like such idiots most of the time
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

You pays you money and you takes your choice.

I'm not saying it is true or profound.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    What do you guys think about the idea of people making only one child [...]?
    Well, on the surface, this seems like a wonderfully simple way to control population growth, and thereby control a lot of the problems associated with large populations.

But you know what happened in countries that tried to either enforce this by law or even encourage it? There were forced sterilizations, abortions and infanticides based on gender, and so on.

What would you do if other countries didn't enforce this as a law?

What would be the "punishment" for having more than one child?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I happen to agree with your shrooms. It would be great if this were the mentality that was encouraged, like, if everyone was taught that this was the best way, and so most people agreed. There would always be your random rebels, but if the majority felt this way, it would help a lot. It doesn't seem to be something we can get consensus on, though, and I know that, for example, some churches encourage their members to be fruitful and multiply, so it would be an uphill battle to get this mainstreamed. I wish it were possible, though.

That is 1 option, but remember, we already have a country that is doing this. And that country ended up exploding with more men than woman, which is a problem all to itself.

To me, I would say an alternative method to saving the world from overpopulation is to find alternative ways to make food in a large scale way. That means, for each city, state, and country, there would be ways that they will implement to grow crops. Create ways to grow crops even out of season (controlling temperature so all crops can grow year round on a large scale, growing crops that need little water, etc.) I think, there are hundreds of ideas to be able to do it, it is just implementing them is the hard part. All it takes is some imagination whether you live in the city or the country.

Trying to force a 1 child law is harder to enforce than to create a society that will be willing to grow food anywhere and anyplace as the one child law is going against the flow of the population while creating an enviroment suitable for the population growth is not.