User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

To me, there seems to be a reduction in cynicism. But then again, I grew up with one foot in the Gen X 90's where cynicism reached its apex. I was somewhat startled when the young people started actually openly stating they care about things.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Yeah, I think it's because people are just now beginning to realize how big and complex the world is. There's a sense of lack of ability to influence the grand narrative in any tangible way or feeling like a cog in a machine. I wouldn't say cynicism, more resentment repressed deeply because it is not safe to express it.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Cynicism is stagnation in its purest form. To disable one's self because the world's problems are far bigger than one man can solve is just as much part of the problem as the problem itself. It's just an excuse to be a victim.

Ideally, the greatest consequence of cynicism is that our problems are left to snowball out of control because no one thinks it can be changed.

garbage

It's a stage that society is going through, and, as @Qlip says, I think we're slowly emerging from it.

In general, it's a product of questioning things and beginning the process of creating meaning and building our beliefs from the ground up. I don't regard it as a bad thing, but there are definite growing pains.

People think that stuff sucks and that there's no meaning in anything, ever. Everything is questioned, poked, and prodded until it collapses. When the foundations are torn down and seen as baseless, we begin to define meaning in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    Can't you see this is a zoo of dim wits
    Is this ironic, or are you just cynical?

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I find that there is a disproportionate amount of cynicism on the internet in particular. Something about it draws cynics and negativity.
    Seriously. I read Slashdot for the entertaining comments. Getting a bunch of CIS/IT folks in one room and letting them rant about the state of the government? I'm on board with that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rel View Post
    Cynicism is stagnation in its purest form. To disable one's self because the world's problems are far bigger than one man can solve is just as much part of the problem as the problem itself. It's just an excuse to be a victim.

Ideally, the greatest consequence of cynicism is that our problems are left to snowball out of control because no one thinks it can be changed.
    You are mistaking cynicism for inaction. I consider myself fairly cynical, but never shy away from tackling problems head-on, and never take the part of a victim. I just understand and acknowledge actual and potential problems, without sugarcoating or wishful thinking. As a result, I can prepare for the worst, and take calculated risks because I have done the calculation. It actually makes me more effective.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    You are mistaking cynicism for inaction. I consider myself fairly cynical, but never shy away from tackling problems head-on, and never take the part of a victim. I just understand and acknowledge actual and potential problems, without sugarcoating or wishful thinking. As a result, I can prepare for the worst, and take calculated risks because I have done the calculation. It actually makes me more effective.
    Ooh, good point. At first the I thought the most dire result of cynicism had popped in my head, but I suppose the definition of cynicism had evaded me all this time.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

The opposite of cynicism would (put cynically) be pollyanna-ism. Either mindset can inform action or inaction, just for different reasons and in different ways. Inaction or stagnation is often based on apathy, or even depression. Cynicism can accompany either of these states, but is not the same.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    The opposite of cynicism would (put cynically) be pollyanna-ism. Either mindset can inform action or inaction, just for different reasons and in different ways. Inaction or stagnation is often based on apathy, or even depression. Cynicism can accompany either of these states, but is not the same.
    I can't stand that. I understand having a positive attitude but I have found most pollyanna types are also on a high horse of self-righteousness. Of course they feel they are superior to every cynic and can't wait to tell you/show you how much. After awhile they sound more in denial than anything else.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

I think we should put all those cynics on an island, give them guns and then watch how they kill each other off. To make the world a better place.

In general though, I think there isn't more cynicism in the world than there used to be, at least not in my experience. Cynicism results from hurt idealism and disillusionment, and I think that the younger people today are rather more pragmatic, and less idealistic, than they used to be (which can make me a bit cynic at times).
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

I act a bit different online than I do offline. More cynicism? The WWW has its doubles. While it allows us to speak with people around the world and make it a better place, it is also a pool to talk about what is inherently difficult about the world (the politics as a prime example.) The old saying to not be speaking about politics is dead when it comes to online interaction (though I'm quite sure a lot of people still stay clear from politics even on online interactions.)

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    To me, there seems to be a reduction in cynicism. But then again, I grew up with one foot in the Gen X 90's where cynicism reached its apex. I was somewhat startled when the young people started actually openly stating they care about things.
    I definitely care. If it is full of ****, why not get people to change it? I mean, nothing is stopping us now if people keep saying the world is full of cynicism.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42E2fAWM6rA"]Lost Generation[/YOUTUBE]

This video exposes my point.