• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Illusion

Mole

Permabanned
The world appears to be intelligently designed. In fact if we didn't know we came about by non random natural selection, intelligent design would be the explanation of choice.

In other words, intelligent design is an intuitive, natural response to the natural world we see around and in us. But we now know intelligent design is an illusion.

And in the same way mbti provides us with the illusion of a personality test, in the same way astrology provides us with the illusion that our life is influenced by the position of the stars.

But we hang onto our illusions in the same way we hang on to our childhood. And of course it is in the interests of corporations and religions that we remain childlike and don't question the power structures or speak truth to power.

So when does being childlike cease being charming and become cloying?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The world appears to be intelligently designed. In fact if we didn't know we came about by non random natural selection, intelligent design would be the explanation of choice.

In other words, intelligent design is an intuitive, natural response to the natural world we see around and in us. But we now know intelligent design is an illusion.

And in the same way mbti provides us with the illusion of a personality test, in the same way astrology provides us with the illusion that our life is influenced by the position of the stars.

But we hang onto our illusions in the same way we hang on to our childhood. And of course it is in the interests of corporations and religions that we remain childlike and don't question the power structures or speak truth to power.

-When you are a 50-something year old man and still living with mommy?

:smile:

Mole

Permabanned
-When you are a 50-something year old man and still living with mommy? :smile:

I think it is more an intellectual thing. Some of us hang onto our illusions to our grave, and some of us have the intellectual integrity to expose our illusions to the light of day.

To hold the illusion of mbti requires no intellectual integrity. In fact the illusion of mbti is encouraged by the military, business and Typology Central, just as religion encourages the illusion of intelligent design.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
lol.

It really all depends upon what one is illuding oneself about, no?

One person's illusion is another person's truth.

Mole

Permabanned
One person's illusion is another person's truth.

That is an interesting thought. I guess if my illusion is that the Sun goes round the Earth and your truth is that the Earth goes round the Sun, how could we determine between them?

Or if my truth is that we are made by intelligent design and your's is that we are made by non random natural selection, how can we choose between them?

And in general, if you are enlightened and I am superstitious how could we possibly sort this out?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Over pitchers of earl grey and a reading of the leaves perchance?

:wubbie:

That is the fun of it all. Working out where the illusion ends and truth begins, and playing with it.

Mole

Permabanned
Over pitchers of earl grey and a reading of the leaves perchance?

:wubbie:

That is the fun of it all. Working out where the illusion ends and truth begins, and playing with it.

During the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries we were abe to determine where illusion ends and truth begins.

Illusion begins and ends with art and poetry, and truth begins and ends with science.

However those who wish to take advantage of us confuse illusion and truth. And how eagerly we collude with them.

G

Ginkgo

Hypnotoad.gif

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Finally. A post in this thread that is visible.

But perhaps the frog is just one more illusion I am having trouble letting go of.

Rel

From my understanding being "childlike" doesn't necessarily mean you're enveloped in illusion, but see the world in a non-convoluted manner. So I guess being childlike may appear 'cloying' if others can't understand why you seem so damn happy all the time.

Also, intelligent design may be possible still. For all we know our habit of pointing out our flaws, then working on them, may cause slight alterations in our DNA that affects our descendants.

Lark

I've never understood why Victor posts using the royal "we" like that.

Mole

Permabanned
1440 and 1840

I've never understood why Victor posts using the royal "we" like that.

Dear Lark, the printing press, invented in 1440, gave us the 'I'; and the electric telegraph, invented in 1840, gave us the 'we'.

So rather than using the royal 'we' I use the electronic 'we'.

And dear Lark being a highly literate individual, the individual 'I' seems natural to you. But just as the Islamists are taking us back to the 7th century, you dear Lark, with the best intentions in the world, are taking us back to 1440.

Mole

Permabanned
Also, intelligent design may be possible still.

Just because this site came about by intelligent design doesn't mean the universe came about by intelligent design, anymore than because you had a father, the universe has a father.

Mole

Permabanned
Anomie

But who is really the victim?

In the West we know who the victims are. For in 1833 we abolished institutional slavery for the first time in history. And in the beginning of the 20th century women gained their emancipation for the first time in history in Australia and New Zealand. And in the last decade of the 20th century, for the first time in history, we started to prosecute child sexual abuse.

So in the West we know who the victims are. They are slaves, women and children.

Just the other day we had our first conviction of the crime of slavery in Canberra. A migrant from the East, refusing to subscribe to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of 1948, kept a slave in Canberra. So we prosecuted her and now she is in jail. And we know who the victim was. It was the slave.

But to ask the faux naive question, "But who is really the victim?", is a question asked by anomie, and revictimises the victim.

Rel

Just because this site came about by intelligent design doesn't mean the universe came about by intelligent design, anymore than because you had a father, the universe has a father.

Well, not in within the classical sense, no, but I'm not talking about the reproductive process itself. I mean specifically the previous generation's actions, what they learn, their environment (nurture) affecting the nature (DNA) of the future generation; not a huge a mount, but enough to change how much a specific gene is expressed. Basically the self-replicating machine that tries to improve on itself with each iteration.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Define childlike in a way that can be applied to every single other person's view of what childlike is.

Some might say carefree and imaginative, others might say ignorant and lacking in complexity.

There are hundreds of others to go with this, so to answer your question I must first get some kind of definitive definition of childlike.

V

violaine

Using what could at best be described as a thumbnail sketch as an all encompassing worldview is... Well, ridiculous.

I do find it odd when someone thinks/feels/senses/intuits that they shouldn't act in a particular way because it wouldn't be according to type.

And then the people who you just know are acting a particular way so that they can seem to be according to type. Fakers. :dry: