• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Morally Normal

Mole

Permabanned
With a high IQ comes a high moral IQ.

The corrollary is that those with a normal IQ have a normal moral IQ.

This is quite maddening as we all depend on a moral framework to relate to one another.

So often it is not that someone is bad or that they have a different moral framework, no, rather it is that they are morally normal.

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Those are just tendencies victor not hard and fast rules.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Out of interest, what makes you think morality and IQ are linked? Is this based on empirical study or your own theorising?

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Impulse control, correlating crime with punishment, and recognizing that one's actions can harm another are correlate to development in the medial, dorsolateral, and one other portion of the prefrontal cotex that I forget. Although, I do believe exposure to stress and the corresponding cortisol dumps has an effect on development of those regions as well

Edit: the one I forgot was the frontal portion of the orbital pfc

Tyrinth

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My IQ is considered above average, and yet my morals leave something to be desired. And I highly doubt I'm the only person like that, so I will have to agree with UniqueMixture. It may be true much of the time, but it's not a law or rule. :shrug: (Not to mention that I don't think IQ is an exceptional way of measuring intelligence in the first place.)

UniqueMixture

MBTI Type
estj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The only thing I know to be correlate with iq is efficiency of synaptic response, but that can be mitigated by lack of development in a particular brain region. Conversely lower efficiency can be mitigated by high development within particular regions

Mole

Permabanned
Out of interest, what makes you think morality and IQ are linked? Is this based on empirical study or your own theorising?

The gifted are very small in number and are abnormal. They are abnormal intellectually. They are abnormal emotionally. And they are abnormal morally.

The gifted have an IQ higher than 140, and have one thing in common with those who have an IQ below 60 - both are socially excluded.

If you click on - http://www.sengifted.org/archives/a...-gifted-children-and-the-evolution-of-society, you may see why I think morality and IQ are linked.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have read something similar, but this doesn't mean morality that society agrees upon. I had a friend who had a fairly stringent moral code, also he was extremely intelligent....but he wasn't exactly a law abiding citizen. I understood the moral basis for most of his actions, but yeah, none that stands up in court.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Society doesn't appreciate high integrity. At all.
I know this on personal level. Good luck to those children. They need every ounce of it.
It would have been better for me if I had no conscience of my own.

Mole

Permabanned
Josef Mengele had a high IQ.

A high IQ is higher than 100 and lower than 140. While the gifted are higher than 140.

So on sheer statistical grounds I would doubt Josef was gifted.

And even if Josef were gifted, one counter example doesn't invalidate a general principal.

G

Ginkgo

With a high IQ comes a high moral IQ.

The corrollary is that those with a normal IQ have a normal moral IQ.

This is quite maddening as we all depend on a moral framework to relate to one another.

So often it is not that someone is bad or that they have a different moral framework, no, rather it is that they are morally normal.

Are you morally superior?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
A high IQ is higher than 100 and lower than 140. While the gifted are higher than 140.

So on sheer statistical grounds I would doubt Josef was gifted.

And even if Josef were gifted, one counter example doesn't invalidate a general principal.

My point is that he was able to become a doctor, one assumes by surpassing an objective standard, yet was also morally repugnant.
History is repleat with intelligent but dastardly people. so it is possible to be intelligent and moral corrupt.

Mole

Permabanned
My point is that he was able to become a doctor, one assumes by surpassing an objective standard, yet was also morally repugnant.
History is repleat with intelligent but dastardly people. so it is possible to be intelligent and moral corrupt.

I am not talking about the intelligent. I am talking about the gifted, those with an independently measured IQ above 140. They are very rare and morally different.

You may acccess some of the research on - http://www.sengifted.org/archives/ar...ion-of-society

Mole

Permabanned
Are you morally superior?

The other day I began a conversation in the Aldi store about sleeping bags, and the more I talked and listened the more surprised I became, for I was talking to a buddhist master from Nepal. It was an absolutely delightful conversation but I soon realised I was talking to my master - a person who was morally and spiritually superior to me. My only wish is that I be more like him.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Mh, I don't believe a fundamentally enlightened moral compass and the indepth comprehension of such things are necessarily linked to gifted people. Not exclusively, at least.

There are many people with average--and below average-- IQ scores, who are remarkably insightful with regard to understanding basic human nature; forming a stable moral compass upon those insights. I suppose this is where concepts like EQ come into the equation.

That said, there's so much we still don't understand about the brain. Any attempt to measure intellectual capacity [with such tools as specialized IQ exams] is limited in terms of dimension because of this fragmentary, everchanging understanding- which in turn can affect our overall perception or definition of what true ''intelligence'' even is, to begin with.. so I find conclusions like the OP to have far too many unanswered questions to consider accurate.