User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Did you fear witches growing up?

I think even between my own generation and the next there's been a paradigm shift in what scares people, spooks, ghosts, witches have been replaced with UFOs, shady conspiracies, terrorists what do you think and what's your experience?

I know that when I was little I was totally afraid of witches and witchcraft and most of the time it was simply old age or neglected gardens which frightened me and I associated with those things. I was afraid of the Devil too but I think that's a slightly different story because I had no idea what the devil looked like and was a total metaphysical fear.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

No, I wasn't scared of witches and witchcraft. It's too tangible.

I was more scared of things that I weren't sure whether they were true. Like aliens, ghosts, etc. But typically only when I was in environments where such things might be. (I lived next to a graveyard, for example; and some nights I was fine walking my dog down along the crumbly cemetery wall, and other nights I just wanted to run as fast as my legs could carry me.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

In orbit
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

Witches...No I thought I was one. ...and there'd been a mistake because I had been born in the wrong place and family.
    As irrational fears go: I was slightly afraid of my shadow and not metaphorically. And ghosts and spirits.

I kind of did, but not in a way that I put much thought into.

There was actually some rumors of a witch in my neighborhood growing up. I broke into her house when she was gone.. there was nothing spooky there. No frog eyeballs and cauldrons of boiling hands. I looked into her freezer and all she had was the usual. But I ended up thrashing the place anyways. Damn the witch!!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Considering my religion now-a-days, it is no surprise but I was fascinated by them growing up. Ghosts as a concept did not scare me.. but evil ghosts did. Demons were scariest for me. Shadow monsters and under-the-bed monsters.

My brother told me a story (when I was pretty young) about a monster that attacked people when they used the toilet, right after they tried to flush.. For a month straight I'd flush and then sprint from the bathroom as fast as I could. it seems silly now, but I was terrified of the thought of a toilet monster eating me.

But I digress.. witches, if they did frighten me.. it was again, the concept of 'bad' witches and evil witches that were scary, not the being itself.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Not in the slightest. I wanted to be a gypsy or a witch. I remember reading Ghosts I Have Been when I was 8.

I was scared of clowns, mean looking porcelain dolls (not the "little girl" kind, but the ones that looked like sophisticated grown women, I collected them and my grandfather bought me this one doll that gave me the creeps) ...and I believe ventriloquist dummies were the first, I remember being as young as about six and thinking Lester from ABC Storytime was going to jump out from under my bed and inject me with poison needles.

I have no idea. I always preferred stuffed animals to dolls, and this is probably why. On the other hand, I actually was obsessed with Barbies and had a talking doll that didn't scare me in the slightest - but probably because she looked like an innocent small child rather than an adult.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I kind of did, but not in a way that I put much thought into.

There was actually some rumors of a witch in my neighborhood growing up. I broke into her house when she was gone.. there was nothing spooky there. No frog eyeballs and cauldrons of boiling hands. I looked into her freezer and all she had was the usual. But I ended up thrashing the place anyways. Damn the witch!!

Seriously though I hope this is made up

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

Seriously though I hope this is made up
    Nope. I must've been around 9 or 10.

This is what happens when you don't leash your kids.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I was afraid of the scarier things that I had seen in movies, as well as real life things. I think if I had seen anything that scared me, that involved witches, then I would have been scared of them -- but I wasn't, really.

One thing that I was absolutely terrified of, when I was about 5 or 6, was mirrors. I was terrified that when I looked into them, I'd see either something behind me, or an altered/creepier/malevolent version of myself. I think I saw it in an ad for something -- maybe one of the Chucky movies -- and I had nightmares about it later.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Not at all, and probably due to my exposure to literature, films etc. in which witches were heroines.

• Practical Magic
    • The Harry Potter Series
    • Hocus Pocus - though they were the villains in this one
    • The Worst Witch
    etc.

I was less afraid of the supernatural than I was of other people - murderers, abductors, rapists etc. I do remember feeling paranoid though that someone, somewhere might be able to read my thoughts, so sometimes I would totally avoid certain thoughts that I thought were dirty or that I wanted to keep to myself... I suppose that's a bit 'witchy'. I did feel that ghosts/spirits were around, though, and sometimes I even tried to listen to what they wanted to communicate, or I'd attempt to communicate with them.