• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Did you fear witches growing up?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
no, i wanted to be a witch. i still fantasize about having magical powers all the time. i can't remember ever really being afraid of any supernatural beings. i do remember going to disneyworld when i was 4, and there was someone dressed up as the bad guy from pocahontas (ratcliffe) and i was terrified and hid behind my mom and wouldn't go anywhere near him.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
not witches. but i did fear aliiens ghosts and a foreign invasion and being taken off to a concentration camp.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I never believed in witches or ghosts as a kid; it always seemed silly to me. But I read these books for girls my age that had characters my age and older who were scared of them and always convincing themselves they were around and freaking out...so I tried to convince myself to believe in them and act like I believed in them. How lame is that?

S

Society

well, the classical horror has already being romanticized when i was a child, so there wasn't much fear into it. my dad was a big sci-fi fan so aliens always seemed very exciting too.

however, i remember watching the scene of someone becoming a werewolf, with the particular image of the mouth extending, and it scared the crap out of me - not that they would attack me, but that i'd become one. there was also a scene from a cartoon of a women getting old and ugly instantly, and it did the same job... instant physical transformations in general used to do that.
when i was something like 5 or 6, i creeped out of bed, went to while my father was watching a movie about killer clown.. clowns creep me out to this day.
most of my nightmares as a kid have always being people. i remember dreaming a lot about captain hook coming to stab me with his hand claw, and robbers, and the joker from the first batman movie. i was also afraid for awhile of people with real guns - cops, soldiers, etc... as you might imagine, israel is full of the later, and i ended up in the army myself, at which point i gave my gun a name and characterized it's high maintanance with a personality.

for my then younger generation - my stepson - the insperation to his fears are actually game mechanics - he loved going all creative in minecraft, but early on i didn't know how to turn it onto safe mode, and it gave him the distinct idea that you need to build/find a house and hide at night because the monsters come out. but he has a strong immunity that if something is pretend then you don't need to be afraid of it, so nothing stays scary after 10 minutes of explenation.

another factor is politics, time and place:
i remember being afraid of sadam hussain when i was a kid, and i dealt with it by building my own lego WMDs... but that was only during the golf war when we had to go into shelters, and i was mad at him because i hated the gas masks. as far as i know only one israeli actually died from the chemical missiles during the entire war.

on the other front, when i grow up, it was the height of the israeli palestinian peace process and everyone around me believed rabin and arafat are going to end our wars... i even remember my parents telling me that by the time i'd go to the army there won't be any war to fight in (i ended up serving in the 2nd lebanon war). but as the world seems to know with disproportionate interest, things went south, and by the time my sister was a kid, she came home one day afraid that palestinian terrorist will get her. ironically, sucessful terrorist activities where a lot heigher when i was a kid then when she was.

mooseantlers

Knobgoblin
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
I was afraid of vampires because of this clip from a show called "creepy Canada" I was unable to fall asleep on my side for the longest time. (and it's still uncomfortable, I'd rather just lie on my back) Because it showed a vampire biting someone sleeping on their side. Also, I would get all scared that my mom would turn into a vampire, for some reason. o.o

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We're not that scary, once you get to know us ;)

R

Riva

No I was never afraid of Witches. I was afraid of bombs though. Lots and lots of bombs killed lots and lots of civilians where I come from.

wicked-witch.jpg

Ah, how could we forget her???

no, i wanted to be a witch. i still fantasize about having magical powers all the time. i can't remember ever really being afraid of any supernatural beings. i do remember going to disneyworld when i was 4, and there was someone dressed up as the bad guy from pocahontas (ratcliffe) and i was terrified and hid behind my mom and wouldn't go anywhere near him.

I won't be surprised if you'd still feel frightened by him :tongue:.

What the hell Riva???

Lark

Nope. I must've been around 9 or 10.

This is what happens when you don't leash your kids.

There is something amazingly transgressive about trashing a strangers house, breaking and entering and trashing it, at that age too. Man.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No, not at all. I wanted to be a white witch.
Oh but i did fear bad vibes which i supposed could be emitted from persons so then they could be construde as baddie witches...at least temporarily.

Lark

Forgot about this thread, anyway, I remember them being more of a terror figure growing up, the featured more as terrifying things in movies and TV. Roald Dahl's The Witches was read on a storytime TV show for kids repeatedly for instance, lots of culturally specific TV programming took place around halloween which featured the archetypical evil, green, cauldrine stirring crone, those things have all probably been ditched now as offensive to wiccans or something. Also I recall a fear of witches steming from King Solomans mines and other films like it screened on TV, seriously, one of those shows has a witch who uses hyponsis to stop a guy breathing, her appearence was freakish too and at one point she is fixing to have an iron mask heated up in volcanic lava droped on someones face or some. Also Temple of Doom was scary and I associated that with witchcraft and black magic.

I just dont get the identification with them or lack of fear of them or magic that a lot of you do or did growing up. Although I will admit that I had an incredible fear of a old lady who lived in an old house with a neglected and overgrown garden, it had creeping ivy all over a wooden arc construct and huge over grown hedges, also lots of weeds overgrown up through the patio. My dad had to go speak to this person once I had to go along, I dont remember much more about it because I was a toddler, besides total and abject fear. It didnt help that my cousins who lived next door and took great pleasure in tormenting me with their friends told me grisly stories about witches and child sacrifice and kidnapping being true and rife. They would tell me when there were heavy police prescences because of the troubles that it was a witch hunt because another child was missing. Probbaly slowly cooked alive and eaten. Or eaten alive while forced to watch their lower limbs being consumed.

Man I had a pretty traumatic childhood :p

G

Ginkgo

As a kid, my heroes were typically anti-heroes because anti-heroes are typically distanced enough from the protagonist to be interesting and yet close enough to be trusted. You can always trust an anti-hero to act on his own accord; his motives are pure because factions do not bind him. When he rescues you, he means it. When he screws you over, he means it. Witches scared me a bit; I even felt that modernized witches like Harry Potter, Samantha from Bewitched, and other arcanists portrayed as benevolent drank too much of their own Kool-aid for their own good. In that sense, they're a bit like everyone but with a different choice of wardrobe.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I certainly didn't fear witches when I was growing up. I wanted to be a sorcerer, myself, and to that end, I would fill entire notebooks with incantations, potion recipes, magical diagrams, and directions for the summoning of demons. When my parents discovered my spell books, they took them away and later had several members of their church congregation surround me with a Prayer Circle. In a Christian Prayer Circle, a bunch of older men move in and put their hands all over your body, so that God's energy can flow into you.

Permabanned
Yes. Because of [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=885aUJnKb-Y"]this[/YOUTUBE]
creepy. :eeep:

EDIT: hearing it now reminds me of a recent typoc member :shock:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My grandmother used to tell me she was a witch, because she's insane.

I always thought they were cool.

Lark

Yes. Because of [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=885aUJnKb-Y"]this[/YOUTUBE]
creepy. :eeep:

EDIT: hearing it now reminds me of a recent typoc member :shock:

I remember that and yes it scared the shit out of me too, I remember how it could pass through walls and that was scary, just the hed sticking out thing. WTF.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This movie --although the witches are ugly & scary in most cases-- made me think witches were awesome.. however certain parts made me become suspicious of particular inanmiate objects, like certain paintings. I'll not spoil it for you kiddies.

stars angelica huston, won some awards & junk.
stream: http://stagevu.com/video/vozawtdwkllb

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
I thought they were really cool, and wanted to be one :eek:

Then again, most of the witches I was exposed to in my early childhood were from Harry Potter, the Bartimaeus Trilogy, and other really cool fantasy/adventure stories.

WHO WOULDN'T WANNA BE A WITCH??

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not at all. I always wanted to be one. And now I am. :)

I was afraid of a lot of things though, and I'm still kind of afraid of ghosts and spirits.