User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 206

  1. #31
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Ohh, man. I learned two things from being raised as a Jehovah's Witness. The first is that the Bible can be interpreted to say about anything. And the second is that nobody has ever convinced anybody of anything by quoting scriptures if they didn't believe them in the first place. In my experience, all conversions happened because the people were lonely, needed a support structure, suffered loss, or were vulnerable in other ways. This must be what is called the Holy Spirit.
    I'm totally and utterly outside and opposed to the tradition of solo scripture and bible christians but I remember a good quote I heard once which said 'the devil can quote scripture when he wants to'

    It just makes sense, I actually heard it in a dispute between socialist factions whose dogmatism and fragmentation into rival sects mirrors christianity alright.

    The RC church has its own version of this, fascists who use the code of canon law as undisputable, undiscussable and uncontestable. I hate it because most of the canon does relate to specific epochs, periods, precise events, such as vows of celibacy and crusades or conflicts and resulting dependents should breadwinners perish.

    No one is converted by that, some people conform to it to meet other needs as you say, which is sad. For both the convert and those honestly seeking converts.

  2. #32
    Post Human Post Qlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm totally and utterly outside and opposed to the tradition of solo scripture and bible christians but I remember a good quote I heard once which said 'the devil can quote scripture when he wants to'

    It just makes sense, I actually heard it in a dispute between socialist factions whose dogmatism and fragmentation into rival sects mirrors christianity alright.

    The RC church has its own version of this, fascists who use the code of canon law as undisputable, undiscussable and uncontestable. I hate it because most of the canon does relate to specific epochs, periods, precise events, such as vows of celibacy and crusades or conflicts and resulting dependents should breadwinners perish.

    No one is converted by that, some people conform to it to meet other needs as you say, which is sad. For both the convert and those honestly seeking converts.
    You know that I'm not religious.. but the thing with the RC is that it's a living tradition and has a kind of an ecosystem to it, all kinds of different voices. It *can* change with the needs of the time because it's a tradition. Straight out Biblical fundamentalism is just crazy, crazy, crazy.

  3. #33
    Feline Member kelric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INtP
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Oh, goody. Another religion troll-thread.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #34
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    You know that I'm not religious.. but the thing with the RC is that it's a living tradition and has a kind of an ecosystem to it, all kinds of different voices. It *can* change with the needs of the time because it's a tradition. Straight out Biblical fundamentalism is just crazy, crazy, crazy.
    I dont think you couldnt offer anything because you're not religious. Although what counts as religious is another topic altogether, even if I was a secular humanist I would remain in sone sense religious. Humans have a religious imagination and it has been an evolutionary driving force.

    Its an ironic accident of history the traditionalists appearing more capable of change than the reformers. Although Luther was a dogmatist, he thought he was doing the 'conservative' thing with his reordering. The rest is history.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Spurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Posts
    239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    You're not a messenger of God.
    That's irrelevant.

    All the prophets of the Old Testament and New Testament Scriptures including the Lord Jesus Christ are messengers of God and you reject them and their message.
    That's the real issue here.

    Will you believe the messengers of God or not?

    John 3:18
    “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

  6. #36
    Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx
    Posts
    21,628

    Default

    T REX!!! T REX TO HELL!! TO HELL I SAY!!

  7. #37
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Trolls should aspire to this.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  8. #38
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    That's irrelevant.
    No, it is relevant.

    You don't really know what you're talking about.

    And, as such, your opinion on these matters is meaningless.

  9. #39
    Senior Member tinker683's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,661

    Default

    Sky cake motherfucker!!!!!!!!

    Oh, and I wonder how long it will be before this winds up in the graveyard....
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

  10. #40
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spurgeon View Post
    It's a declaration of truth.
    I don't gain anything by posting it.
    However, I gain everything by believing it.
    That's nice.
    It doesn't explain why you are posting it here, since you can believe whatever you'd like without vocalizing it.
    If you vocalize it, either you're trolling or you have intentions.
    If you have intentions, then your strategy should support them.

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't find it offensive so much as confusing why he approaches the subject this way. He has no concept of how forums work. Forums revolve around discussions. I have nothing against his zeal, but why not phrase things that garner discussion and debate and demonstrate and defend his reasoning? Christians have an approach like this ("Apologetics"). Even his own avatar, Charles Spurgeon, engaged people in this way, and wrote tons of books in the apologetic style. He didn't just write bible quotes and left it at that. He was one of the most popular preachers of his era, and I don't think he accomplished that by barking from the hilltops, condemning complete strangers.
    I think I'd just find it "confusing" too (as my other posts rather attest to -- the strategy makes no sense), except I've also seen a lot of people have their lives destroyed by this kind of single-minded dogmatism. Right now, it just comes off as a curiosity because it's some random member of a random website and he has no power; but those who have power coupled with the same degree of indifference/insensitivity to other people can create a great deal of suffering.

    So I can't view this from an entirely detached viewpoint. People without perspective or the ability to examine their own thinking create hell on earth for others.

    It's not like we don't have other members here who don't understand what the word "discussion" means.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    Trolls should aspire to this.
    Maybe that's all it is.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Similar Threads

  1. Reveal the good in the person above you.
    By Amargith in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 250
    Last Post: 06-16-2014, 12:57 AM
  2. [E6] Are Type Sixes the hardest people to read in the MBTI?
    By Stansmith in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
  3. Reveal the bad in the person above you
    By Hate in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 09:04 AM
  5. Am I in the right place?
    By cosmicdancer in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-14-2009, 02:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO