User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How personal do you debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    While everyone is going to have baggage of one sort or another I still think its possible to be objective and objectivity is a legitimate goal of any or all discussion.

Good point about vying for dominance, that can unfortunately be a part of all social interaction and I dont believe benefits discussion or reaching conclusions.

On the other hand I dont believe that direct empirical experience is always to be valued beyond thinking and reasoning, for instance discussions about using drugs, parenting or sexuality, I think its possible to discuss all of these topics without having experienced drug use, child birth and child raising or adopting the behaviour or another sexual orientation.
    True. It's possible to discuss situations without having lived them. Although, if we're looking to discuss objectively, to get all of the facts in place, I think that those who have experienced a situation are likely to be able to bring very relevant information and facts into a discussion--less speculation and more "this is the way the situation is"--and the "horse's mouth" perspective is a pretty useful one in that way.

I do, however, believe that it needs to be balanced from an outside perspective as well, since outsiders will see things that the 'insiders' haven't seen.

I think that the best way to be truly objective is to mash together a whole slew of perspectives and talk about them, because we're all biased in ways that we don't even realize.

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

I try not to because it puts me in a hostile negative loop. I usually debate using my opponent's weaknesses though, but not to the point where I alienate them/the group. I prefer to win people over to my side. Usually this happens by making the person feel special and appreciated for who they are. Probably because I don't think in terms of truth vs. Lies though but more in terms of perspectives.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.